Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
tie down and forks

Does tightly strapping a bike on a trailer cause fork seals to blow out? I've always heard this but I don't understand why strapping a bike down would cause any more stress then actually riding it. I'm not talking strapping it down so the forks are fully depressed but enough to keep the bike from jumping around on the trailer.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
spdt509
Veteran

AMA #: 817931
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 98 triumph speed triple
Name: jake ryan
what you're referring to its the pic below(yes, its in a truck but the same applies). don't do it that way and you'll be fine...

Click image for larger version

Name:	xt225.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	536649
spdt509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Busy Little Shop
Man behaving bikely...

Motorcycles: Honda RC45 RC30
Name: Larry L
Chief causes for seals to leak are fork tube nicks or just being worn out not tie down compression...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
1952 De Havilland Chipmunk...
https://www.youtube.com/user/BusyLittleShop/feed
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55532474@N00/?saved=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10503451@N07/
Busy Little Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Don't compress them fully and you will be fine.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Does tightly strapping a bike on a trailer cause fork seals to blow out? I've always heard this but I don't understand why strapping a bike down would cause any more stress then actually riding it
No, it doesn't. If you are at all familiar with the way oil seals are designed, it's obvious why not. Oil seals have a cavity on the oil side, so when the pressure builds up behind the seal it exerts more pressure on the sealing surface, which keeps the oil from being forced out. Your seals don't blow out when compressed, they just get better at sealing.
This video explains it better: https://youtu.be/Hy6cKKEdXB8?t=172

So why have you always heard that strapping your bike down will blow the seals? How did this often repeated and long standing rumor get started?

Strapping down a bike with good seals will not make them leak. But if the seal is already compromised, maybe there is a piece of grit in there, or maybe the lip is nicked or whatever, strapping it down with the forks compressed will force oil past the already bad seal.
If you arrive at your destination and there is a puddle of fork oil in the pickup bed, the incorrect conclusion you may draw is that tying the bike down is what caused the seals to leak, rather than revealing an already bad seal. Then you tell everyone on the internet and they tell everyone on the internet and here we are with a widely believed ongoing misconception.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
wheel_muse
bicycles 'n motos

Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: '18 Honda NC750XD
Name: Brian
I don't think there's any damage done, if it's short-term. Of course, don't store the bike this way!

I had an unfortunate incident with an old Honda 350 XLR dual sport. It had a cool feature of coil spring forks with air adjustment; you could add air to increase the spring rate.

I guess the air leaked down during transport. Straps got loose. Bike fell out of the hitch rack when I went over some railroad tracks. Luckily, not much damage.

Lessons: check bike on rack regularly, watch the rearview mirror, be especially vigilant with older bikes.
wheel_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
You can put one of those plastic supports or even a piece of 2x4 between the front tire and bottom tree. Tighten it down to your heart's content.

Mad
Old 08-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
I've trailered bikes and never worried about the forks. The fork seal warning was brought up by another rider on another forum after someone posted a picture of a bike on a trailer. My posting is more about where the OWT came from and why.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
I wonder if forcing the forks to hangout where there are probably some nicks accelerates the wear/damage.

The best solution to all moto transport issues is a Baxley chock and loose-ish straps or a strapless restraint system like the Pitbull TRS.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), KTM 525 (Plated), KTM 990 Adventure, Husky TE300, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
No, it doesn't. If you are at all familiar with the way oil seals are designed, it's obvious why not. Oil seals have a cavity on the oil side, so when the pressure builds up behind the seal it exerts more pressure on the sealing surface, which keeps the oil from being forced out. Your seals don't blow out when compressed, they just get better at sealing.
This video explains it better: https://youtu.be/Hy6cKKEdXB8?t=172

So why have you always heard that strapping your bike down will blow the seals? How did this often repeated and long standing rumor get started?

Strapping down a bike with good seals will not make them leak. But if the seal is already compromised, maybe there is a piece of grit in there, or maybe the lip is nicked or whatever, strapping it down with the forks compressed will force oil past the already bad seal.
If you arrive at your destination and there is a puddle of fork oil in the pickup bed, the incorrect conclusion you may draw is that tying the bike down is what caused the seals to leak, rather than revealing an already bad seal. Then you tell everyone on the internet and they tell everyone on the internet and here we are with a widely believed ongoing misconception.
+1

I created a fork seal leak on a dirt bike recently by allowing the clay on the fork tube to dry to concrete. It was behind the tube guard and I didn't see it. I then stuck it in a truck and cinched it down as usual, driving the baked clay up into the seal damaging it. I bought myself a couple hours work and a fork service.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
How did this often repeated and long standing rumor get started?
The Russians are CLEARly behind. Therefore, I am going to blame Dmitriy.

Its as old as sin, been hearing about it since I was a kid. But agree, legend and not true.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
I wonder if forcing the forks to hangout where there are probably some nicks accelerates the wear/damage.

The best solution to all moto transport issues is a Baxley chock and loose-ish straps or a strapless restraint system like the Pitbull TRS.
This.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #13
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
You can put one of those plastic supports or even a piece of 2x4 between the front tire and bottom tree. Tighten it down to your heart's content.

Mad
This is what I do.
Have a different 2x4 for each bike. Cut to a V shape on tire side.
A partial compress (w/o wooden/plastic blocks) can cause tie downs to slacken when you hit bumps. This can lead to the tie down coming unhooked at one end (or the other). It's happened to me... pre blocking the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Not possible on a hitch hauler.
And extra expense for moto trailers (i.e. Kendon) which already have wheel chocks.

I've also recently taken to placing a piece of wood over my rear tire when tying down as well when transporting. This after loosing a rear strap connection while travelling thru the horrible highways near Concord.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #14
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0_ryder View Post
This after loosing a rear strap connection while travelling thru the horrible highways near Concord.
I'm a big fan of retaining clip systems on tie down straps. Won't use anything but a strap with one. It took losing a bike more than once for me to learn.

And for those who won't let go of the exploding fork seal legend, allows you tie down the bike a little looser. Even on a red flexy flyer harbor freight folding death machine. Win win....

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
kiwi_outdoors
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: was a 2007 DL650A
Name: Tony
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Does tightly strapping a bike on a trailer cause fork seals to blow out? I've always heard this but I don't understand why strapping a bike down would cause any more stress then actually riding it. I'm not talking strapping it down so the forks are fully depressed but enough to keep the bike from jumping around on the trailer.
No Nope Not Never on a trailer (assuming that you don not launch the trailer over a cliff)

Just buy a nice set of tie downs with capture clips on the hooks, and tie the forks down with a useful amount of compression, and trailer-on, dude!
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote