Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
ABC
Veteran

AMA #:2770635
Contributor +

Motorcycles: !
Name: D
Wr250X--- Bike Died Randomly

So I was on my way to a motorcycle ride and was riding for about 35 mins before the bike just suddenly died on me. I came to a stop sign to do a turn and boom just died.

1) I kept trying to push the starter button and NOTHING. zero... nada. I turned the bike on and off multiple times and still nothing. Upon further inspection I noticed that the fuel pump doesn't prime when I turn the ignition on either. I tried to bump start the bike many times but NOTHING. Then an error code popped up #15 (throttle postition stuck/ short) and also #12 (Gear position sensor) im not exactly sure if 12 is the error code or not because when I go into diagnostics on the bike the error comes up at 15. I posted up both pictures for you to look at and determine how to read it correctly.

2) All lights work, horn works, turn signals, license plate light, brake light.

3)I replaced every single fuse on the bike to rule those out, I noticed I don't hear any click from the starter relay either when I turn the ignition on.

4) all safety switches have been bipassed and were running fine before this happened so I can rule those out.

5) I Ohm'd the kill switch and starter and both are good.

6) battery is at 12.9V

At this point Im kind of lost.. I feel like I can rule out the starter because that doesn't have anything to do with this really... Im leaning towards starter relay or Maybe its because of the gear position sensor? I really have no idea and hoping someone can help me out here. I find it so weird it just craped out randomly on me. I never had any issues with this bike for years since I've owned it.

I feel like it can't be a fuel pump issue because even if it wasn't priming I would still be able to crank over the starter right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6846 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	536841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9859.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	536842  

Last edited by ABC; 08-31-2020 at 07:38 PM..
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...d.php?t=394141

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
ABC
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Iíve already read that...
Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
Maybe side stand switch went bad. I also would lean toward the relays going bad. If they go out they might not route power to the starter and to the ignition system.

Edit: just realized the side stand switch may have been included when you stated safety switches have been bypassed.

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69

Last edited by KrustyKruser; 08-31-2020 at 08:25 PM..
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
ABC
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKruser View Post
Maybe side stand switch went bad. I also would lean toward the relays going bad. If they go out they might not route power to the starter and to the ignition system.

Edit: just realized the side stand switch may have been included when you stated safety switches have been bypassed.
Yeah you got it.. so relays huh.. I was thinking the starter relay would be a good place to start. How would I go about testing to see if they are good? Ohm them?

Iím just wondering if the error code is stopping the bike from turning over.. thatís what Iíve thought since the beginning. Would a faulty gear position sensor allow that to happen?
Old 08-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
Iíve already read that...
Have you load tested your battery?

A load test is placing a high amperage load on the battery while testing the voltage of the battery. Just because you battery reads 12.9 volts does not mean it is a good battery as a battery with one or more weak cells can output 12V+ with no load but a load test will show the weak cells and the battery voltage will drop 2-4 volts

Have you inspected all 6 battery cable connections? A poor connection will not support the high amperage load of starting the bike or even moderate load of the bike running.

After that it is usually the engine cut-off switch, starter button, ignition switch, sidestand switch, or starter relay.

I don't think your bike has a tip over switch or that is an option as well.

If the battery load test and battery connections are all good, then I would in order:

1) with the key off, hotwire the starter relay and see if the starter spins the engine over, if this works, then inspect the fuse on the starter relay and the connections for that fuse.

2) with the key on, hotwire the starter relay and see if engine starts and runs, if so there is probably a bad starter button or a connection between the starter button and starter relay then clean, inspect starter button, engine cut-off switch and the connector leading to the right hand switch cluster, reassemble and retry starting.

3) If the engine doesn't start and run in #2 and fuse on the starter relay is good, then bypass the sidestand switch and repeat hotwire the starter relay

4) get a wiring diagram and confirm the ignition switch is working correctly to the electrical connector coming from the ignition switch.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
Quote:
Yeah you got it.. so relays huh.. I was thinking the starter relay would be a good place to start. How would I go about testing to see if they are good? Ohm them?

Iím just wondering if the error code is stopping the bike from turning over.. thatís what Iíve thought since the beginning. Would a faulty gear position sensor allow that to happen?
I have tested them by using a car battery and alligator clips and yes using the ohm meter function. I would power the relay to switch it on then check for continuity when powered.

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
15 You can run diagnostics on the tps on the R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjeCRVI58A

I could see if the tps is shorted, then it would stop the starter and fuel pump. I'd start there. I'm not sure, if the same dash diagnostics applies to the X, if nothing else break out the voltmeter and manual.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
W800
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki W800 2012 Royal Enfield Classic
Name:
Something similar happened on my Royal Enfield. Bike just died one night on my way home from work (in the dark, on 80). Then it randomly (kick) started, then died. Got it home by some miracle.

Would not start the next day. I was sure something really bad was wrong. On a hunch, after letting it sit for a couple of months, I bought a new battery. Started right up.

If the other stuff doesn't work, try a new battery - or have the battery tested. Mine was showing "OK" voltage when I put my voltmeter on it, so I didn't think it was the battery.
W800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Hook that car battery up to the bike with jumper cables and try starting it. If it works, your bike battery is the problem.

If the battery is in a car, do NOT start the car. Just use the battery.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #11
ABC
Veteran

Contributor +

LOL, the starter/killswitch was unplugged LMFAO! I installed bar risers last week and I thought I had enough clearance side to side but I guess I didn't. Silly lesson learned. thanks for the help y'all.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
Gabe
COVID-fefe

AMA #: 1006675
Founding Member
Contributor +++++3%

Motorcycles: FZ-07 farkled-by-Amazon Edition
Name: Gabe
Quote:
LOL, the starter/killswitch was unplugged LMFAO! I installed bar risers last week and I thought I had enough clearance side to side but I guess I didn't. Silly lesson learned. thanks for the help y'all.
LOL this kind of thing is almost always something simple like this. But I'll bet someone, somewhere told you to get a Power Commander and platinum plugs...am I right?