BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 09-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
K^2

Motorcycles: '13 BMW HP4 & '10 BMW S1000RR (track only) & '07 BMW R1200S
Name:
Mines Road report 9/11/20

Rode Mines to the Junction. In surprisingly good shape following the fire. No evidence of fire north of Alameda Co. mile post 17. Between there and Santa Clara mile post 23 it was confined to the east side of the road. Further south, it jumped the road and both sides are burned. They saved every structure that I could see, including Ruthie's Barn, the Junction, etc.. Amazing work. Trees don't look that badly burned so, hopefully, things will bounce back. Have at it. The Junction will be open starting tomorrow, according to their Facebook page. - K^2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	junction.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	537177   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire_mines.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	537178  
'10 BMW S1000RR (track only)
'07 BMW R1200S

Last edited by K^2; 09-11-2020 at 01:11 PM..
K^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Can you get past the Junction in either direction? Caltrans is still showing Hwy 130 closed from Quimby to the Stanislaus county line.
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '15 CB500F -- '18 GROM 125 -- '20 FS 450 -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
K^2

Motorcycles: '13 BMW HP4 & '10 BMW S1000RR (track only) & '07 BMW R1200S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
Can you get past the Junction in either direction? Caltrans is still showing Hwy 130 closed from Quimby to the Stanislaus county line.
At the Junction there is a Caltran sign saying that you can take 130 from there west over Hamilton, but "expect up to 1 hour delay". Apparently there is a section of road that is only being opened periodically. I turned around and headed home, so I can't confirm this. - K^2
'10 BMW S1000RR (track only)
'07 BMW R1200S
K^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
David 519

Motorcycles: CR250, KTM 500EXC, 650 V-Strom
Name: David
Thanks for the update. I'll probably ride Mines through to 680 Sunday AM if nothing else pops up...
David 519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
Thanks for the update. I'll probably ride Mines through to 680 Sunday AM if nothing else pops up...
How does that work? Mines starts at Tesla Rd to the Junction (Hwy 130). I 680 runs along Pleasonton and San Ramon.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
cheez
On a break

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
How does that work? Mines starts at Tesla Rd to the Junction (Hwy 130). I 680 runs along Pleasonton and San Ramon.
Well clearly he means to go down Mines Road until it ends, then make a hard right at The Junction and off-road across the terrain and private property directly to 680 from there.

There's no way he is implying that he'd continue on 130, pass the Lick Observatory, make a left on Alum Rock Ave., and reach 680 in San Jose that way, right? Nobody would make the assumption that he'd continue on the literal only road leading to 680 from that area, right?

C'mon, brother. Don't ask for spoon feeding.

Last edited by cheez; 09-12-2020 at 08:46 AM..
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Well clearly he means to go down Mines Road until it ends, then make a hard right at The Junction and off-road across the terrain and private property directly to 680 from there.

There's no way he is implying that he'd continue on 130, pass the Lick Observatory, make a left on Alum Rock Ave., and reach 680 in San Jose that way, right? Nobody would make the assumption that he'd continue on the literal only road leading to 680 from that area, right?

C'mon, brother. Don't ask for spoon feeding.
Can you please post a google map, I've only done it about 50 times and may get lost. Since 130 is closed at Grant park (at least 1/2h ago when I checked Caltrans) I'm still wondering where he wants to ride? I'm thinking to ride Mines, Mt. Hamilton for some time now but since 130 is closed taking 680/580 all the way from San Jose and back doesn't really look like so much fun. Sure, Calaveras may be an option, haven't checked if its open though.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Mellowtonin
Old Enough to Know Better

Motorcycles: '17 Hoonigan Sled
Name: Alex
Quote:
Well clearly he means to go down Mines Road until it ends, then make a hard right at The Junction and off-road across the terrain and private property directly to 680 from there...
Hey! Don't underestimate the versatility of the GS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
Unfortunately the checkpoint is still up at Quimby; where Gary took the below picture 2 weeks ago, there are two concrete barriers and a big electronic sign (PG&E Base Camp - Expect 1 Hour Delay) and No Thru Traffic, Local Residents Only Enforced by the same CHP Charger Pursuit patrol.

Traffic was excellent on Calaveras, closure of the Sunol Wildness Park might have contributed to it. Rode Felter Rd. all the way thru Sierra Rd, good news is Cal Trans must've repaved the whole section after the fire trucks since all the sketchy tar snakes on the summit are gone. Bad news is they are either chip sealing or half way done, because there is gravel every where (with mandatory 25MPH/SLOW/Gravel signs every couple hundred feet).

Mines from Livermore to the Junction is indeed open, excellent traffic and minimum debris on the road. Have to say the closer it got to the Junction, the more it felt like going toward the epicenter of a nuclear bomb explosion aftermath. There were hills (toward Del Puerto direction) as far as the eyes can see that were barren, with charred earth, dead trees and thick smoke still lingering in the air...

Last edited by Mellowtonin; 09-12-2020 at 06:46 PM..
Mellowtonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #9
auditude
Wut, bodda you?

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Eyetallion Hooligan Macchina; Ellsworth Truth (pedal power baby)
Name: "Daddy"
Quote:
Can you please post a google map, I've only done it about 50 times and may get lost. Since 130 is closed at Grant park (at least 1/2h ago when I checked Caltrans) I'm still wondering where he wants to ride? I'm thinking to ride Mines, Mt. Hamilton for some time now but since 130 is closed taking 680/580 all the way from San Jose and back doesn't really look like so much fun. Sure, Calaveras may be an option, haven't checked if its open though.
Calaveras is open; was rather surreal riding (last week) through the charred terrain, though.

Some spots have burned all the way down to the reservoir and the air was still filled with ash/smoke.

I cautiously stopped at a couple spots to snap some shots but none of my pics captured the devastation

The whole ride I kept shaking my head in disbelief; brought very vivid memories of when I worked the Tubbs fires in Santa Rosa. Very apocalyptic seeing the firsthand affects and sheer power of wildfires during that time...

Last edited by auditude; 09-12-2020 at 01:51 PM..
auditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
David 519

Motorcycles: CR250, KTM 500EXC, 650 V-Strom
Name: David
Quote:
Well clearly he means to go down Mines Road until it ends, then make a hard right at The Junction and off-road across the terrain and private property directly to 680 from there.....
I hadn't thought of that!! Might be fun on my KTM, well except for all that private property...

Quote:
Take Mines from Livermore, and keep going straight at the Junction. The road does change names, but you'll hardly notice it. The road gets a lot tighter passed the observatories and some of the road is beat up, but awesome views up there.... and assuming no closures, you'll hit 680 eventually. Fun ride if you like 1st and 2nd gear stuff...
David 519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Thanks David. I have done Mt. Hamilton and Mines indeed 50 - 100 times. I used to ride it everyday after work for some time, just for fun. I was replying to cheez, obviously there is still a closure at Grant county park. Was thinking of riding to the junction, the air here in San Jose is not good, but not too smoky either right now. After seeing the pictures of the ash and smoke from yesterday I decided to postpone it.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
greenmonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Name: Ed
I really want to ride out there but don’t want ashes forced into my face at speed. Unhealthy air today, and last weekend it was 105 degrees. Sheesh!!
greenmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #13
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Went today, Junction was closed, temp around 93. Still some road work going on, flaggers. One took a little, between Mt. Hamilton and Grant park. They were cutting and shredding the trees so the don't fall into the road. Had to ride through some wood chips for a couple feet. Otherwise nice, looks they even swept the road. Expect junk in the road once the leaves/needles fall off or it starts raining. Look pretty unreal in places.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
greenmonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Name: Ed
Weather is cooler, smoke is gone, time for a ride. I think I’ll go out there tomorrow
greenmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #15
Gixxergirl1000
AFM #731

Official BARF Roadside Angel BARFIE winner 2014
BARFIE winner 2014
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + BB
Barf Roadside Angel Leader

Motorcycles: GSXR-1000; GSX-R 450 Triple race bike "Timmay"; GS 500 race bike "The Murderbike"
Name: Connie
Quote:
Originally Posted by auditude View Post
Calaveras is open; was rather surreal riding (last week) through the charred terrain, though.

Some spots have burned all the way down to the reservoir and the air was still filled with ash/smoke.

I cautiously stopped at a couple spots to snap some shots but none of my pics captured the devastation

The whole ride I kept shaking my head in disbelief; brought very vivid memories of when I worked the Tubbs fires in Santa Rosa. Very apocalyptic seeing the firsthand affects and sheer power of wildfires during that time...
There are 2 houses near the dam, up top on the flat area just south of it... do you know if they're still there?

TMU Local 209- Road Captain- cuz Roundboy sez so!

Jim Perry~ my <3 10/18/08 Danni "idontdotrix" Romeo 2/17/20 Steve "Cygnus" Hempler 12/2/10 Gary Jaehne 5/19/12 Dad 11/22/13 Buster the Pocketdog 8/22/20
Gixxergirl1000 is offline   Reply With Quote