Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
vaara
Veteran

1 Rider Contributor

Motorcycles: 2018 V-Strom 650
Name:
Long Way Up

(Mods - please move/merge/delete as necessary; I havenít found any similar threads.)

Is anyone else watching this on Apple+? Itís a bit more subdued than the previous two series (Round and Down); poor Charley Boorman hasnít done a single wheelie.

So far, through Ep 3, itís been as much or more about the logistical issues of keeping 5 EVs charged in remote Patagonia than about the actual riding. But, as they constantly remind us, theirs is a pioneering trip. And some of the scenery has been nice.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
I've taken to calling it "Long Extension Cord." It's little more than a Livewire commercial in installments IMO.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
vaara
Veteran

1 Rider Contributor

Name:
A Rivian commercial too.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
Heywood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
I've taken to calling it "Long Extension Cord." It's little more than a Livewire commercial in installments IMO.
That's too bad. My understanding, there's very little Livewire left of the bike after they heavily modded it to be a adv/tourer, if someone was looking to pick up a bike like theirs it's not going to happen. I'll still watch it tho' but probably not with the same interest the others held for me and not an overly big CB fan either. I respect his riding skills but he comes off as a whiner to me.
ETA: OP, Here was a thread from some time ago when it was first announced: https://www.BayAreaRidersForum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538526

Last edited by Heywood; 09-20-2020 at 03:36 PM..
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
+1 on Charlie Boorman being an insufferable whiner. Also I am not giving Apple any of my money. I'll see if it is available on Netflix later. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on anything anyway.

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
guycole
Rookie

AMA #4140935
Contributor

Motorcycles: VFR 800, KLR 650
Name: Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaara View Post
A Rivian commercial too.
How much Rivian? Asking for a friend.
guycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
I just saw the first episode, and I really liked what I saw. Can't wait for the second (probably watch it in the next couple of days).

Watching the prep and the lengths the suppliers are going through to support the ride was impressive.

I already have a better feeling for this one than what LWD turned in to.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #8
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Tried watching the first episode. Super lame.

Watching the second one now. These guys are such douches. They went to eat and celebrate before they even put a leg over the bikes.

I don't know if I'll be able to finish this. These guys are whining when they have a team of 20 helpers figuring everything out for them.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #9
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Wow 20 people couldn't figure out how long these POS cars can go on a charge so they ran out of it on the very first day?
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
I just saw the first episode, and I really liked what I saw. Can't wait for the second (probably watch it in the next couple of days).

Watching the prep and the lengths the suppliers are going through to support the ride was impressive.

I already have a better feeling for this one than what LWD turned in to.
Considering what the first one did for BMW GS sales I don't blame them...
Old 09-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #11
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR1290, 20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally, 08 R6
Name:
I've been watching it it, but seeing them tool along at 31 mph because they're trying to hypermile is a bit boring..
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #12
vaara
Veteran

1 Rider Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
Wow 20 people couldn't figure out how long these POS cars can go on a charge so they ran out of it on the very first day?
They were caught out (at least twice) by the bikesí inability to charge in freezing weather. TBH I wouldnít have known that either...
Old 09-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #13
derache123

Motorcycles: '16 BMW F800GT
Name: Derek
I'm a little perplexed by their decision to use prototype Harley Livewire conversions... The first episode showed them riding Zeros as their "introduction" to electric motorcycles, why not just use a Zero for the trip? IIRC, Zero already makes a production ADV bike.
derache123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
(Mods - please move/merge/delete as necessary; I havenít found any similar threads.)

Is anyone else watching this on Apple+? Itís a bit more subdued than the previous two series (Round and Down); poor Charley Boorman hasnít done a single wheelie.

So far, through Ep 3, itís been as much or more about the logistical issues of keeping 5 EVs charged in remote Patagonia than about the actual riding. But, as they constantly remind us, theirs is a pioneering trip. And some of the scenery has been nice.
I did a fishing trip to Argentia in the early 90s. Stunning, primitive and pristine. I don't think Patagonia is a secret anymore, which is too bad. Some places are better if left alone.
My family lived near Tahoe City until I was 12, and the sign at the Y near Fanny Bridge said "Tahoe City, pop 200"....nowadays, I stay away, the last time I was there, it took me weeks to get over how it had been transformed into something unrecognizable.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
MikeL
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2019 Indian FTR1200
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
The Rivians? The two they have are the very first "production" Rivians. They are basically production prototypes. Not sure what you want from them lol. They have a general idea but the extreme environment + new technology + unproven platform..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin00 View Post
I've been watching it it, but seeing them tool along at 31 mph because they're trying to hypermile is a bit boring..
Agreed with this. I was looking at the speedo like "whelp, this isn't exactly exciting"

Quote:
They were caught out (at least twice) by the bikes’ inability to charge in freezing weather. TBH I wouldn’t have known that either...
Yeah, the LiveWires don't have active thermal management to my knowledge. So extreme cold makes charging/range not great. I'm not sure if Energicas or Zeros would do much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derache123 View Post
I'm a little perplexed by their decision to use prototype Harley Livewire conversions... The first episode showed them riding Zeros as their "introduction" to electric motorcycles, why not just use a Zero for the trip? IIRC, Zero already makes a production ADV bike.
I think Harley actually "approached" them tbh. The way they portray it in the show is sorta like "We got to test ride this prototype from Harley" and next thing you know the Harley engineers are totally reworking the motorcycle. I will say, the Livewire modifications they did does make it very cool.

Using Zero's would make more sense only because the Zeros have Level 2 Charging. Rivian built out Level 2 charging infrastructure along the route for their trucks. The Harley's can't use Level 2 so the infrastructure was pointless for them.

From what I know, later in the show they do a charge off the Rivians - but the Rivian engineers hadn't got that solved at the start.

Last edited by MikeL; 09-21-2020 at 07:26 AM..
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote