Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
vaara
Veteran

1 Rider Contributor

Motorcycles: 2018 V-Strom 650
Name:
Yet another insurance thread

Is there any rational explanation why the same riders and bikes (2 adults with >5 years riding experience, both with clean records, on a V-Strom and a CB1000R), should get wildly different quotes from different companies?

We got married almost 2 years ago, but still have our finances and insurance separate. Here are the monthly quotes we got online for 'basic' coverage:

State Farm (our existing carrier, total cost of separate policies): $300 - note, I think he got something more than 'basic' coverage for the CB1000R

Allstate: $80

Progressive: $525

I'm thinking something might be a little off with that Progressive quote. Is this consistent with other people's experience?

Does Allstate really suck, and is that why they're so cheap?

Do insurers actually give discounts to married couples, or not so much?

And finally, can I ride his bike without being listed on the policy?
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
danate
#hot4beks

AMA #: 2948810
Contributor + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Big pompous Beemers
Name: Nate
From my experience dealing with a claim with Allstate, they are absolute garbage. Every department seems to be in a different country and none of them knows what the others are doing. It took me two months and a lawyer to get them to pay out on a totaled bike.

That said, different insurance companies classify bikes differently. For example, I find Geico usually has the lowest rates, but for some reason they classify the BMW R1200r as a sportbike and have a stupid high rate for it. We currently use Farmers and pay around $1200 a year for 5 bikes. We use Erich Stiegler who is a barfer and a great agent. Worth contacting him to see what rates he can get you. Also get a quote from Geico because they're usually hard to beat.

Last edited by danate; 09-21-2020 at 03:03 PM..
danate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
vaara
Veteran

1 Rider Contributor

Motorcycles: 2018 V-Strom 650
Name:
Thx for the recommendation! We tried GEICO but couldn't figure out how to get the online form thingie to understand that there are *2 riders* on *2 bikes*. Maybe I'll try using that newfangled "voice call" technology.

Last edited by vaara; 09-21-2020 at 03:22 PM..
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Heywood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
The above is not my experience with Allstate. I've only dealt with 1 auto claim (veh. totaled, no injury) where it went to arbitration due to the other party lying (red light runner) but at the end I was satisficed and only dealt with US based claims.
I use them also for my bikes and having shopped around they are still the least expensive.
ETA: I've been with them for about 12 years or more

Last edited by Heywood; 09-21-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Exact same coverage? Same categories and same dollar amounts?

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
ejv
Untitled work in progress

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Last I shopped insurance 5 years ago Progressive was more the double the next highest quote and that was for about a half dozen different bikes I was looking at.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
ViperThreat
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '06 GSXR-1000(track), '07 GSXR-750(track), '08 FZ1
Name:
Progressive and Geico are always insane on pricing for me - never again.

Find a Safeco rep and get a quote through them, they are consistently the cheapest for me.
ViperThreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
mayorofnow
Rookie

Motorcycles: Vespa 300
Name:
I don't remember if it was Progressive or Allstate, but one of the majors had no idea how to insure my Vespa. Basic coverage on an $8800 vehicle was quoted at thousands of dollars per year. Based on that experience, I'm not surprised you're seeing a big price delta.
mayorofnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
derache123

Motorcycles: '16 BMW F800GT
Name: Derek
When I was searching for insurance quotes for my new bike, Progressive gave me the highest quote by a pretty absurd amount. Interestingly though, GEICO was the lowest for me.
derache123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
Name: Bill
Went from a 2016 Ducati MTS to a 2020 BMW S1000XR. I have State Farm on everything. Almost double the cost for the BMW WTF shopped and got a quote from Progressive more than State Farm. Called GEICO and quote of less than the 2016 Ducati. All coverages the same. I now have GEICO
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
tgrrdr
Не мои обезьяны!

Contributor

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger
Name: Bill
I think insurance companies want everyone in a household who drives a vehicle (and is related) to be included on the policy. I also think itís common to have multiple policy discounts, no sure how that works with married couples though.
tgrrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
Heywood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
Exact same coverage? Same categories and same dollar amounts?
You asking me? The answer is absolutely yes, what good would comparison shopping do if you're not comparing apples to apples? Even being a AAA premier member they couldn't touch my Allstate rate.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #13
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrrdr View Post
I think insurance companies want everyone in a household who drives a vehicle (and is related) to be included on the policy. I also think itís common to have multiple policy discounts, no sure how that works with married couples though.
Yep, I can loan my bike to a friend and they are insured, but anyone who lives in my house needs to be listed on my policy or they can't use my bikes. I don't think they care about married or not, just if you live together.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:13 AM   #14
Michael1013

Motorcycles: 2016 DRZ400sm
Name:
First off I have to give a plug to Gieco cause they took care of me very professionally and easily when my girlfriend crashed my 350z. If you can get on the phone with them they’re good people with good employees and will probably know how to insure your situation with two riders on two bikes.

But yeah I’ve had the same experiences with insurance regarding strangely inconsistent rates. I think it’s just a side effect of automated rate calculations.
Michael1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
You asking me? The answer is absolutely yes, what good would comparison shopping do if you're not comparing apples to apples? Even being a AAA premier member they couldn't touch my Allstate rate.
Just checking. You might be surprised at how many people don't make sure it's apples to apples.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote