Papi
Mmmmm...Faster

Top Speed Junkie
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Classics to Beastly
Name: Papi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindcoreNbikes View Post
None, because I've never needed one based on the requirements and intention.

Drop the attitude and follow your own logic, because we're agreeing on everything we're taking from CVC.

The real question is how many citations have been written and plead guilty for lack of a Motorcycle Transportation Permit?

The answer? I stopped caring about this two posts ago.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'll stick to what I know. I'm not buying the tunnel vision logic about this for DB's only.

Further, I have been at Laguna when CHP was checking VIN's and Reg's on Track Bikes right in the back of Pick Up's, Trailers and in the staging areas, not DB's as you claim. Guess what? Mine had the Transportation Sticker clearly displayed, the tag ID was run from it ONLY and I checked through just fine without anything else. So since I have proven results, your professing something you have No first hand knowledge of, nor have you actually done, makes your argument look pretty foolish.

For others reading this post, there are several here who have posted up the correct information as well as all the links you need to take care of this. Again, if the DMV staffer can't help you, pleae just ask for a supervisor or the field office manager. Print out this thread, the pic I posted of the Permit, The DMV Form and they will help you.

It's best practice to follow the rules. As stated above, I've been checked right at the track with my ZX6R. The Permit was run, came back clean with the VIN, nothing else was needed. I would suggest if you have a streetbike converted for track only use, you do the same. DB's are covered by OHV Red or Green Stickers. MSO's Only are covered by Transportation Permit as stated herein. Personally I've converted several bikes in the past few years to Transportation Permit Only. The process has not failed me once. YMMV.

Last edited by Papi; 03-02-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #137
2fasst
Veteran

Motorcycles: ....
Name:
Thanks Papi. How long is the permit good for?
2fasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #138
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
It's good until you sell vehicle / transfer title

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #139
2fasst
Veteran

Name:
Link from DMV for more info:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch25/ch25_13.htm

Actual form is here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg712.pdf
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #140
That Guy
Happy Racing

Contributor

Motorcycles: Give me wooooooooood
Name: Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'll stick to what I know. I'm not buying the tunnel vision logic about this for DB's only.

Further, I have been at Laguna when CHP was checking VIN's and Reg's on Track Bikes right in the back of Pick Up's, Trailers and in the staging areas, not DB's as you claim. Guess what? Mine had the Transportation Sticker clearly displayed, the tag ID was run from it ONLY and I checked through just fine without anything else. So since I have proven results, your professing something you have No first hand knowledge of, nor have you actually done, makes your argument look pretty foolish.

For others reading this post, there are several here who have posted up the correct information as well as all the links you need to take care of this. Again, if the DMV staffer can't help you, pleae just ask for a supervisor or the field office manager. Print out this thread, the pic I posted of the Permit, The DMV Form and they will help you.

It's best practice to follow the rules. As stated above, I've been checked right at the track with my ZX6R. The Permit was run, came back clean with the VIN, nothing else was needed. I would suggest if you have a streetbike converted for track only use, you do the same. DB's are covered by OHV Red or Green Stickers. MSO's Only are covered by Transportation Permit as stated herein. Personally I've converted several bikes in the past few years to Transportation Permit Only. The process has not failed me once. YMMV.

The Kawi I picked up from you had it, But I could not get it in my name. I tried 4 times all with asking to talk to supervisors. each time I brought the bike with me so I could show them the permit on the frame. I was I ended up giving up on it. Never had a problem transporting it.
AFM#41x
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #141
Papi
Mmmmm...Faster

Top Speed Junkie
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
The Kawi I picked up from you had it, But I could not get it in my name. I tried 4 times all with asking to talk to supervisors. each time I brought the bike with me so I could show them the permit on the frame. I was I ended up giving up on it. Never had a problem transporting it.
Really? Man, that's messed up. I bought a bike that had one, and basically just had another one issued for it. I don't know if it's transferrable, then again, the dmv staffers aren't always very smart about their own rules it seems.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #142
2fasst
Veteran

Name:
Thank you Papi, today I got my transportation sticker!

If anyone else wants one, go to the Santa Teresa DMV office and speak to supervisor Tam Le. He spent an hour calling Sacramento and got me my sticker!
Cool guy.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #143
Corey
GPz550 Addict

Contributor

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 (Race Bike) '85 GPz550
Name: Corey
Thank you all for the replies and information on this subject. Time to get these race only bikes legal.
AFM #44
Motion Pro, TWF Racing, CT Racing Pirelli, Fastline Cycles, Racer Gloves USA, Race Image Graphics, Galfer, CRS Tuning, TWELV51 Racing, Driven, Zero Gravity, Oxymoron, Dynojet, K&N, SPEEDMOB.
Mater: You know, I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-looking girl. Looked just like a Jaguar, only she was a truck! You know, I used to crash into her just so I could speak to her.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #144
Papi
Mmmmm...Faster

Top Speed Junkie
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fasst View Post
Thank you Papi, today I got my transportation sticker!
Excellent, Good Job having patience and persistence to do the right thing.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #145
LongGoneJohn
Gone

AMA #: 2809843
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: .
Name:
FYI. Just to make it clear (the first post is incorrect), you only pay PNO once. You do not pay it each and every year.

If you don't want to do that, you can save the money of a $25-$50 PNO and get the above transportation permit. Though you'll spend more time doing it.

Both are legal.
LongGoneJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #146
2fasst
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
FYI. Just to make it clear (the first post is incorrect), you only pay PNO once. You do not pay it each and every year.

If you don't want to do that, you can save the money of a $25-$50 PNO and get the above transportation permit. Though you'll spend more time doing it.

Both are legal.
A PNO isn't a permit to allow you to tow your unregistered bike around. All it is a non operation permit, not a transportation permit
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #147
LongGoneJohn
Gone

Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Name:
I'm not going to get into whether or not you need a transportation permit when your bike is in the bed of your truck, or on a trailer. It's pretty clear the intent of this thread is to help those that believe they do need one, to get one. That's fine.

I just wanted to clarify that a PNO does not need to be renewed. You will get a renewal in the mail, but if you read it closely it says if you intend to keep the vehicle PNO'd, you can discard the renewal request. The renewal is only sent in case you changed your mind and wanted to actually register it.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #148
2fasst
Veteran

Name:
If the intent is to help others legally transport their registered bikes, then it needs to be clear that the PNO is insufficient. They need the transportation permit. Now that the Santa Teresa DMV office knows how to do this, it would take only minutes.

If you want to educate us that the PNO doesn't require a yearly renewal fee, then you're correct.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #149
LongGoneJohn
Gone

Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Name:
I don't think there's an agreement as to whether or not it's illegal to transport your PNO'd bike in the bed of a pickup.

Nonetheless, that's not my concern. If you all want to play it safe and buy some random permit that no one, including every cop on the planet has any idea about, go for it. All I was trying to do is keep people from paying for their PNO every year.

For what it's worth. Not a single friend of mine or myself has ever had issues while transporting PNO'd bikes. We have, however, had registration / PNO status / green or red stickers checked; and had I only had a "transportation permit" and no other type of registration / PNO, I can guarantee it would have extended the discussion with the officer as I tried to explain why I was so intent on saving $15 when I bought a transportation permit and didnt PNO it.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #150
2fasst
Veteran

Name:
Good for you. I got what i need. BARF, still hasn't changed over the years. I'm out of here