Old 11-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #16
MR662
AFM #662

AMA #: 1068326
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: All Kinds
Name: Mike
I heard someone talking recently that they will also be looking to see if there is a safe way to combine both tracks at Buttonwillow. I think CRA is a good thing. There are some that don't like the AFM I've heard and maybe that's the low turnout for Buttonwillow. Anything that gives us all another chance to race is exciting. We all have different work and family life schedules and cant always make every round.

I like the passion Dustin brings and think he will do good with the Racing Org. I also like the fact that they're already finalizing their race schedule so we have plenty of time to plan for those race dates

Work:
2018 BMW 1200 RT-P

Play:
2019 BMW R1250 GS
2019 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2020 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2021 KTM 450 SMR

CMSP Instructor
http://pacificmotorcycletraining.com

Special thanks to: Race Pace Motorsports, Michelin Tires, Spears Racing, Law Tigers, Dave Moss Tuning, Fun Track Dayz, Motorex Oil, Arai Helmets, Spy Optics, Woodcraft, Cycle Gear, Matrix Concepts, My Wife
MR662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #17
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
I hope CRA already has a chat started with the other clubs so they can avoid running on the same weekend.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #18
buford

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 3%

Motorcycles: Ninja 500
Name:
16 & 20 lap races - https://youtu.be/-0Jx9RPssPY?t=2991
and baggers? https://youtu.be/-0Jx9RPssPY?t=6155
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Whacker View Post
Honestly, it would be awesome to have a decent club series that would attract Socal and NorCal racers. The amazingness (or lack thereof) of the track is fairly secondary if the level of competition is high.
That's easy. e-moto series at Laguna Seca, FTW.
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #20
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR1290, 20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally, 08 R6
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buford View Post
That's awesome. Bet I can't be consistent for 20 laps
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #21
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
It'll be interesting to watch another club try to make longer races profitable. WERA did it years ago and eventually dropped them. I wonder how much racers are willing to pay for races that are 3x as long. 2x? 3x?
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #22
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Longer races might work for them.

Less classes right??

Although clean up in the bagger class could be time consuming.

Back in my day the AFM races were 11 laps and there were way fewer classes from what I recall.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #23
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
It'll be interesting to watch another club try to make longer races profitable. WERA did it years ago and eventually dropped them. I wonder how much racers are willing to pay for races that are 3x as long. 2x? 3x?
Are they talking about ALL races or just the GT races? I read it as only the shootouts will be the longer races. It sounds similar to how CVMA runs.

CVMA dropped the LWT shootout a few years ago when the 400's gained alot of traction. They still do the Open shootout and Ultra LWT shootout.
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #24
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR662 View Post
I also like the fact that they're already finalizing their race schedule so we have plenty of time to plan for those race dates

Pretty much!
Old 11-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #25
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Longer races might work for them.

Less classes right??

Back in my day the AFM races were 11 laps and there were way fewer classes from what I recall.
Less classes (K.I.S.S.) , less practice and qualifying on Saturday. The main practice day is Friday.

No legacy, vintage, 750, clubman, Super Dino, Singles just off the top of my head.

Thats based on how CVMA runs.

Back in your day there was what like 20 rounds at all the California tracks? Good ole days.

Last edited by scratchpad; 11-14-2020 at 06:52 AM..
Old 11-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #26
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Yup.. lots of races when AFM had North and South.
Kept me poor
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #27
MR662
AFM #662

Founding Member
Contributor +++

I think less classes is good. Sounds like they will still have the sprints of 6-8 laps on Sunday but Saturday is the GT races of 20 laps. I think it may attract MotoAmerica locals to come out more to get in some longer race practice for MA.

While the AFM has worked to add so many classes to give everyone a class to race in, I think its silly to have 3-5 bike grids. Id rather see a simpler format, good grids of 20-30 bikes and be able to race 2-3 classes on Sunday, while getting plenty of track day time on friday and some faster race quals on saturday.

Work:
2018 BMW 1200 RT-P

Play:
2019 BMW R1250 GS
2019 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2020 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2021 KTM 450 SMR

CMSP Instructor

Special thanks to: Race Pace Motorsports, Michelin Tires, Spears Racing, Law Tigers, Dave Moss Tuning, Fun Track Dayz, Motorex Oil, Arai Helmets, Spy Optics, Woodcraft, Cycle Gear, Matrix Concepts, My Wife
Old 11-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #28
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 5%

Motorcycles: Husqvarna for the dirt/ street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
I see many folks complain about too many classes in the AFM.
How much time is lost when many classes grid up together and there are multiple waves for the same race? A couple of minutes extra per race?
Yes ,it would be cool to have 20 bikes per class but I don't think that is realistic of what folks have in their garages to bring to the races these days.
I picked my bike as a affordable bike to track before deciding to race.
No budget to buy and set up a different bike and I like the bike I have.
The new twins class in MotoAmerica has a great turn out, but those are not cheap bikes to be competitive.
The new Aprilia 660 looks sweet but one would be in around $14 K vs the $4 K I have in mine to be track worthy.
That, as I see it, is the problem. Getting Twenty similar bikes, set up to fit one class, is not going to be easy.
The closest thing in recent years are in the small displacement classes has been the 300 class, which then kind of morphed into the 400 class.
These are great classes but not everyone wants to race a 400.
And if you spent all your beans prepping a 300 when it was " the in class" , wouldn't you want a separate class to race in aside from the new 400's?
And so it goes...there are now many classes to fit what folks already have/can afford. Is that really such a bad thing for club racing?
DT

Last edited by dtrides; 11-14-2020 at 07:06 PM..
dtrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #29
MR662
AFM #662

Founding Member
Contributor +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrides View Post
I see many folks complain about too many classes in the AFM.
How much time is lost when many classes grid up together and there are multiple waves for the same race? A couple of minutes extra per race?
Yes ,it would be cool to have 20 bikes per class but I don't think that is realistic of what folks have in their garages to bring to the races these days.
I picked my bike as a affordable bike to track before deciding to race.
No budget to buy and set up a different bike and I like the bike I have.
The new twins class in MotoAmerica has a great turn out, but those are not cheap bikes to be competitive.
The new Aprilia 660 looks sweet but one would be in around $14 K vs the $4 K I have in mine to be track worthy.
That, as I see it, is the problem. Getting Twenty similar bikes, set up to fit one class, is not going to be easy.
The closest thing in recent years are in the small displacement classes has been the 300 class, which then kind of morphed into the 400 class.
These are great classes but not everyone wants to race a 400.
And if you spent all your beans prepping a 300 when it was " the in class" , wouldn't you want a separate class to race in aside from the new 400's?
And so it goes...there are now many classes to fit what folks already have/can afford. Is that really such a bad thing for club racing?
DT
Yes, But you can still combine or do away with some classes. In MotoAmerica the R3 and 400 race together though the 400 is restricted. Ive seen 50 hp R3's and Ive also seen guys on stock engine 300's and R3's with some basic mods and 40 0r so hp, run same lap times as guys on 400's with 45-48hp . The 300/400 class could be combined. Also why have Lightweight Superbike and Light Weight Twins, its pretty much all the same bikes, running similiar lap times, now split up to two different classes. I mean they combined 80hp 450 cripples with 45-50 hp 400's, since lap times were similiar given power to weight ratio.

Instead of 2 waves of 7-10 bikes, how about 20 bikes battling it out. All the small bikes run together in F3 as well. Same as having 600's run 750 class or all being together for F1 or F4, whatever it is. I remember racing in mid 2000's and novices and experts ran together. No schedule or change will make everyone happy. The worst thing any club can do is be content, just think we should always be looking at ways to make things more competitive, bigger grids and the best racing we can. I think that is what is spawning a new race org, to add something that is missing or make changes to things that others dont agree with. Ive never ran CVMA or WEAR, but Ive heard people mention how great and simple CVMA is. Dont get me wrong, I love racing with the AFM and the friends Ive made, but maybe some restructuring is needed. People will find and buy or build a bike to race with whatever class structure is set up.

Work:
2018 BMW 1200 RT-P

Play:
2019 BMW R1250 GS
2019 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2020 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2021 KTM 450 SMR

CMSP Instructor

Old 11-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #30
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 5%

Motorcycles: Husqvarna for the dirt/ street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
[QUOTE=MR662;10676204]. The worst thing any club can do is be content, just think we should always be looking at ways to make things more competitive, bigger grids and the best racing we can.

Will it really bring more riders or just divide up current riders in a different manor?
There are already top tier classes that are very competitive, why not just race in one of those classes if that is ones goal?
I get that folks would like to see more riders out there and I support that, if it can be done in a realistic manor.
If we are just shuffling existing riders into fewer classes, then I am not sure .
DT