Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF

Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
oliver
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 track bike, '05 Tuono Factory
Name:
I wanna race!

Hi BARF,

The is the first of what will hopefully be quite a few posts, each detailing the ups, downs, and in-betweens of an endeavor that will hopefully last the better part of the next year.

My BARF career began unceremoniously with this post on 11/19/2005, 10 days after I registered. Since that time, I have become more enveloped in the act, sport, and thought of riding my motorcycle than I ever feared I would.

Traveling quickly through my surrounding environment is built into my DNA for some reason. My dad's an attorney and my Mom drives a school bus, so it didn't come from either one of them. None of my family members is something that could be called an enthusiast (except one uncle who owns a sports car). But I, from my very earliest memories, have eaten, slept, and breathed racing.

This manifested itself in a relatively successful 4 years of kart and car racing career that ended in 2001. I won a lot, but pulled the plug for fear of reaching the age of 30 one day and wondering what the hell I had been doing for the last decade. So I moved on into the real world, thankfully without ever ridding myself of the racing demons.

I somehow knew that this would happend when I bought my first bike. Fast bike --> faster bike --> racing. I didn't think it would happen in less than a year though! Until recently, I had been holding off attending a trackday because a) I didn't have a suit, b) I didn'y have a good way to get there and c) I thought I might really like it. But then it happened. A fellow BARFer sent me an instant message one Monday morning, letting me know that there was an empty spot in the trailer for a trip to Reno Fernley Raceway. Three days later, I had bought a suit and was on my way to the track.

Needless to say, those two days awakened that which had been lying dormant inside me for the past few years: a completely insatiable appetite for pushing the limits of a moving vehicle. On the way home from the track, the first phone call I made was to my good friend Kyle in Texas (my kart racing teammate in 1999 and 2000), whose life is motorcycles, and greeted him with:

I wanna race!

So that's what I named this thread. In it, over the coming months, I will hopefully chronicle my transition from "regular dude with a normal job" to 'regular dude with a normal job who races motorcycles." It will begin this weekend with a trip to Buttonwillow to check out the final round of the AFM season.

After talking to people who know more than I do about this type of thing, I believe that I want to race the 650 Twin class with a Suzuki SV650. On the other hand, I already have a very capable Open Twin bike in my Aprilia, but it's expensive to race and probably pretty damn expensive to crash. Plus, it couldn't hang (horsepower-wise anyway) with, say, a 999R. But maybe there aren't any 999Rs and I'd be racing against other Aprilias and TL1000s? I don't know. That's what the trip to the race this weekend will help clarify.

I'm posting this thread on BARF with inadvertent but obvious homage to Liam and his "*Liam's Wild Ride*" thread. We all have followed him in his successful efforts to make it to the top of our sport, MotoGP. My hope is that others on this board, who may know they want to race but not where to start, will be able to learn alongside me as I try to figure it all out. I need a race bike, supplies, transportation, and knowledge--none of which I have yet--so this should be fun!

For those who don't already know, my name is Oliver and I am 27 years old. I have a job, but I also have a boss. Two of them, actually. Money is an object for me, as it is for you. I don't want to be a professional motorcycle rider, as I've gone down that road before and I'm probably not talented enough. I want to win races, but know that it will be quite difficult. But I want to try...so sit back, enjoy, and offer any advice you can!

I Wanna Race!

Last edited by oliver; 11-02-2007 at 07:08 AM..
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
Let me be the first to say: Congrats!!!

I admire your enthusiasm..

/edit..

Wow! After reading about your car racing history, I retract everything I said. I think you'll do well.

Last edited by stan23; 10-26-2006 at 08:50 PM..
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Go2Trackdays
No speed limits or cars!

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Name:
have fun!! (Feanor Jr.) http://www.afmracing.org/

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorsickle
I don't wanna die, just wanna ride on my motorcyy

Anything not attempted remains impossible

Last edited by Go2Trackdays; 10-19-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Go2Trackdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Re: I wanna race!

Quote:
Originally posted by oliver

Fast bike --> faster bike --> racing.

Nah... Fast bike --> faster bike --> stupidity

Quote:

Money is an object for me, as it is for you.

It does cost an arm and a leg... and credit scores for many.

Quote:

I don’t want to be a professional motorcycle rider, as I’ve gone down that road before and I’m probably not talented enough. I want to win races, but know that it will be quite difficult.

A bit confused... You were a professional motorcycle rider before? Or do you mean you dreamed about being one? A few AFM guys I know all had first gone through at least a couple of years of trackdays, and nothing but trackdays to burn up their vacation days and bank accounts, before they even talked about the new racer school.

Good luck, man.
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
First lesson: it takes more effort and stength to ride a high hp bike VS a low hp bike.

Second lesson: don't race an exotic bike. There's no parts in the pits when you bin it.

Third lesson: Real men start in 600's, so I hear...

Ever wanted an ex-wife and a kid payment? You just got one!

Good luck. If you can make it past year 3 of the racing, you'll be in good shape.

Oh and you know when those Zoom Zoom, Or Keigwins instructors say "you should race". I don't think alot of them, themselves race...
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
DucatiHoney
Ride only user

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
Hey Oliver, very cool.

I know a few people that started out in racing exactly the way that you are proposing.

Real guys. Real lives. Real budgets.

The only difference between them and you is that some of them started out on smaller bikes (250's) and all of them had a fair number of track days under their belts before they gave racing a shot. Both of the classes that you're looking at seem pretty competitive for a relative newb. Even many of the GP guys started out on much more modest bikes before playing with the big boys. Might be something to consider... I'd have to imagine that a get-off on a 250 isn't quite the same thing as a get-off on a 650.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
MrCrash
King of FAIL

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: CBR600F4, Mojo SL, Anthem X 29er, XTC 29er Composite, XTC 29er Singlespeed
Name: Mikey
Re: I wanna race!

Quote:
I want to win races
http://www.ccsracing.com/

Ex AFM / WSMC / AHRMA / AMA Pro Thunder #907
http://www.mrcrash.com
MrCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Bikerx260
Combat Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati 900ss, YZ250
Name:
Season is over already. Just kidding, there is always next year! Track days will help, and maybe I'll see you out there. Noone has claimed my old number yet, so I just may get back into it too.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the governor"

ex- AFM#260

كافر
Bikerx260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
cydobomb
Banned

Contributor+

Motorcycles: single, four
Name: F. Wankle

good intro, oliver. i'm all ears...

buena suerte, and get out there and gas it!

cydobomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
Sharky
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000; CR 250; Duke II; XR650L; KLX110; YSR 50;
Name:
Good luck!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
oliver
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 track bike, '05 Tuono Factory
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by NoGall

A bit confused... You were a professional motorcycle rider before?
No, I raced cars professionally.

Quote:
Originally posted by Holeshot
First lesson: it takes more effort and stength to ride a high hp bike VS a low hp bike.

Second lesson: don't race an exotic bike. There's no parts in the pits when you bin it.

Third lesson: Real men start in 600's, so I hear...

Ever wanted an ex-wife and a kid payment? You just got one!

Good luck. If you can make it past year 3 of the racing, you'll be in good shape.

Oh and you know when those Zoom Zoom, Or Keigwins instructors say "you should race". I don't think alot of them, themselves race...
Thanks, I agree with everything you wrote. Nobody has told me I should race; it's a conclusion that I drew on my own.

Quote:
Originally posted by DucatiHoney
The only difference between them and you is that some of them started out on smaller bikes (250's)...
Thanks for the advice. I am open to racing any class. That's why I'm going to the last AFM race this weekend to check it all out. From my current vantage point though, it seems like SVs would be a good choice (keeping mind that they are quite a bit slower than my current bikes).

I Wanna Race!
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Daredevil
Modest Max

Motorcycles: 08 r4.5 race, 01 ninja 250 street
Name:
track days
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Sane_Man
Totally Tubular

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: 2003 40th Busa
Name: Pimpin' B
GoodLuck. Don't Fr0ng yourself.

Yes I have a Wide S T A N C E, 29 inches.

"spelling correctly is for folks who are too dumb to think for themselves and can only memorize things" - The Amazing Kickstand

Participants shouldn't be turned off or scared by erections. "They happen." - Cuddle Parties
What is a cuddle party?
Sane_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
tuxumino
Psy Ops

AMA #: 249288
Chief Beer Mooch
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: my butt on a duc
Name:
If you've raced cars then you already know that most of a racers time is spent in preperation.
If your doing it as a hobby then your rider/mechanic/tech crew/owner and gofer.

I have not raced, but have thought about it and talked to some racers.
some ideas I got:
if you want to race 250s and win, figure 10gs a year. (cost goes up with displacement)
you will crash at least once a year and spend time in the hospital at least once every four years.
during the race season you will not get much sleep.
you will meet and get beat by some of the best people you'll ever meet.
If your lucky there will be someone at your lap time thats getting better at the same rate you are.

maybe asking for advice pointers in racers corner wuld be a good idea.
AFM races are agreat deal for 10bucks you can watch races and wonder around the paddocks for 2 days, most racers are happy to talk and give advice.
T.M.U. Local 510 Rabbit Deployment Farce
tuxumino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
Kensaku
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: I quit
Name:
Two-strokes suck!
Kensaku is offline   Reply With Quote