Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
DefyInertia
Original Saratogian

BARF SFMTA Volunteer

Motorcycles: BW80
Name: Nate
Lil' 1,400 mile tour: Up and Down Cali, Jan. '09 (PICS!)

First of all, thanks for Sidewalk and everyone else that helped me plan my route in this other thread...very helpful.

I got back from a little road trip this past Saturday. All in I did about 1,400 miles during 4 days of actual riding. The first two were on the way down to visit family in San Diego and the second two were with my wife on the back heading home.

Here is the approximate route I took:

DAY ONE: I did San Francisco to Los Angeles (had to hit I-5 on the way down as I couldn’t leave until noon and ran out of daylight around 5:30 PM). I slabbed it about 80 miles out of the city and then picked up and awesome ride down rt. 25 to 198 before slabbing the rest of the way out of necessity (so sad).

DAY TWO: I did an awesome ~250 mile loop with a friend who lives in LA before getting a late lunch and heading down to my Aunt and Uncle’s house to relax for the next few days.

We hit up Palomar later in the day which was pretty sick especially with very little traffic.

~ I was then off the bike for 2 full days visiting family ~

DefyInertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
DefyInertia
Original Saratogian

BARF SFMTA Volunteer

DAY THREE (of riding): We had some wet and super foggy weather in the morning so we had to take more slab then we wanted but at least we made good time. We definitely had some great sections of road later in the day but were disappointed that we could not cut through the Los Padres National Forest due to the fact that the road to Ojei was pretty cold, shady, and wet…we knew it would only get worse as we kept climbing and dark was on the horizon. We got rained on lightly for the last 30 miles or so but were prepared.

DAY FOUR: After a short jaunt up the 101 in the morning, we hit some awesome back roads for almost the entire day before ending up back on rt. 1. At this point my wife was ready to get home and again, the darkness was coming and the temps were dropping, so we took rt. 17 out of Santa Cruz (which was a scary road especially since traffic was heavy but moving and there were many damp shaded sections). I wish we could have cut directly through the mountains up rt. 9 etc. as originally planned but it was not in the cards.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
DefyInertia
Original Saratogian

BARF SFMTA Volunteer

In summary, I had a blast and I love California….but touring in the winter when the days are short has its drawbacks. My wife had fun and didn’t complain even after the miles ticked past 300 per day and even when we got wet. Next time I ride down to SD I’m doing it during the warmer months when the days are long

The FZ6 performed flawlessly but my gas mileage was down due to the weight, my height, and lack of a fairing...oh yeah, and the throttle tube. I got a oil pressure light twice on the fourth day both times after starting the bike cold. I checked the oil leve etc. and everything was fine...the light went out after a few miles so I'm thinking it had to do with the temperature changes and and elevation changes. Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
SWEET!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Lupin
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2006 BMW GSA
Name:
Cool! Looks like it was a fun ride!

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
I love the wintertime ride reports. Well done!

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
maxandgrinch
Acquired Taste

AMA #: 1048538
custom user tag goes here
Contributor ++++++++ BB!!

Motorcycles: Dog Powered Sleigh
Name: Banzooga
That's fantastic, and I'm jealous.
maxandgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
I got a oil pressure light twice on the fourth day both times after starting the bike cold. I checked the oil leve etc. and everything was fine...the light went out after a few miles so I'm thinking it had to do with the temperature changes and and elevation changes. Thoughts?
You sure it's pressure, or level? All of the Yamahas I have owned relied on the oil level sensor in the oil pan. The carbureted R1's were notorious for this.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
DefyInertia
Original Saratogian

BARF SFMTA Volunteer

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
You sure it's pressure, or level? All of the Yamahas I have owned relied on the oil level sensor in the oil pan. The carbureted R1's were notorious for this.
No! You're definitely correct...it IS a oil LEVEL light, not pressure. I misspoke. I did a little research and this seems common for I4 yamahas; I'm going to keep the level closer to the top hash mark on the dipstick rather than the middle and see where that gets me.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
No! You're definitely correct...it IS a oil LEVEL light, not pressure. I misspoke. I did a little research and this seems common for I4 yamahas; I'm going to keep the level closer to the top hash mark on the dipstick rather than the middle and see where that gets me.
Just watch the wheelies.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote