Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Motorcycles: Vstrom650, stuff of stories: F800st, Vstrom650, sv650s, Dr350
Name: Nibor
26-28 Dec 520 mile Mercey Hot Springs/Ft. Leggett Tour

I had somehow lost my enthusiasm over Christmas in doing a long solo trip like I had hoped. I kept trying to 'woohoo' myself back into action but it wasn't happening.

I had met Martin (Wheatwhacker) on Christmas eve. Martin is an avid ADVrider and has done some extensively 'deep' trips (....see ADVrider under Wheatwhacker) . We were talking Friday morning and he just said "what the hell, let's just get out and go". I pondered for a few miliseconds and thought " YES ! what the hell, I'm getting out and going !!"... We agreed to meet at noon so I could finish my errands (It was 9am). All we had planned on over the phone is that we agreed to head south. That was good enough for me!

For the trip, Martin had borrowed a friends BMW R1150GS. I met up with him in South San Francisco. As I was pulling into the gas station he was pulling out. I caught up to him at the light only to see his bike was profusely peeing fuel all over the place. It was a race to the hardware store to find out what was going on. Apparently an o ring had broke around the fuel line (a quick disconnect) that was easily put back together. While Martin was fiddling with the motorcycle, a dog walker passed by and had to ask where we were headed and recant the story of his 8 kids and how his daughter now rides a harley and is every bit as small as me.... Now we were off to start our trip with a plethra of o rings, a crispily sunny day, two SPOT trackers and a GPS.

We wound down 280 to 17 to 101 South. We Stopped in Woodside at the General Store
Click image for larger version

Name:	xmasmarket.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	291267
to fill up on some piping hot Clam Chowder which we eagerly gobbled down. As we ate, a man approached to ask me how I liked my SV650 and excitedly asked questions. Another passerby commented to both of us that we were crazy to be riding in this weather. I think people are crazy not to be enjoying......ah...you get the idea

On we went down 101 and I stopped to fill up once more (his tank could go at least 400 miles and I was wanting to gas up every 100 just to be safe) . While filling up, we talked about the Hot Springs and he agreed we should go there for the evening. We had passed the 156 turnoff to Hollister but the GPS suggested an offbeat road caled Crazyhorse Canyon Road that would eventually wind its way to Hollister. Ah, unknown ADVENTURE !

We took Crazy Horse Canyon Road

Name:	xmasCrazyhorsesign.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	291299
and turned left onto San Juan Grade Road. San Juan wound around and had some great vistas...maybe 9 miles long in all hooking back up to 156 and into Hollister:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.190201&z=12

Name:	xmasSanJuanGrade1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	291265

Name:	xmasSanJuanGradeRd.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	291266

We arrived in Hollister and sought out a grocery store for some fruit and munchies. I called the Panoche Inn and Hot Springs to make sure they were open. Off we went down Highway 25 into the sunset. We turned off on J-1 to make the 30 mile trek to the Panoch Inn. The air was very crisp and cold. No clouds were out and somewhere along J-1 Martin stopped to plug in his heated vest (mine had not arrived before the trip). We pulled up to the Inn to have another person comment that we were crazy to be driving in this weather. ...I think I caught my shivering body aggreeing to what he said.

Larry was there tending the bar. We all chatted, ate some bar peanuts, ate our now cold Safeway chicken and chatted again that we would be by in the morning.
(map of Hollister to Panoche Inn, Mercey Hot Springs down 25 to La Gloria Road)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...3&ie=UTF8&z=10

We were now driving 8 miles in pitch black to the Springs and I WAS cold. I had called the Springs at the Inn to reserve a campsite but once there we caved and took the last available room (it was 30 degrees out). We pulled up to the room in our motorcycles and next door to us was a KLR (ah, we weren't crazy afterall !) In addition to the Spring-fed pool and sauna we were able to luxuriously bask in a spring-fed indoor tub since we rented a room. We tried the pool first (sorry, no pictures of feet). The pool was depressingly lukewarm so we jumped into the sauna...then back into the pool which made it feel all the more cold in the pool. We decided to opt for the indoor tub which had IMHO good-taste stonework that was 'cozy' feeling while basking in the tub. WOW... yum.... THAT was the ticket ! The after-warmth of soaking in the springs would have been enough to keep warm in the tent....BUT seeing as one is charged 30 dollars per person at the campsite was just enough to say we'll take the room.

Name:  Xmasmartinbarmaid.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  5.9 KB
Martin couldn't resist trying to kiss the barmaid at the Cantina (J-1 and 25 junction)...

Last edited by MissMoxy; 01-07-2009 at 07:37 AM..
MissMoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Saturday morning we were looking forward to jumping into the hot springs but construction workers were milling about spifying up the new outdoor single-person tubs. There was a skill saw near the pool that they were beginning to use so we went back to pack and yip yap to the KLR owner. They told us of a great off road trail not too far from our location. That'll be for next time!

We drove to Panoche Inn and while there, 4 other motorcyclists arrived (the wind was still pretty cold) we chatted with Larry again (we found they do serve sandwiches and appetizers) and headed out to hwy 25. After about 5 miles Martin stopped at a dirt road called La Gloria that headed west:

Map From La Gloria Turnoff to HighwayOne

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.380402&z=11

He brought it up on his GPS and said "if it gets rough (for my bike) we can turn back." I was game ! The road was a washboard! Martins bike behaved like it was any other day. Mine- well, I had to make sure my teeth didn't all of a sudden smack together...

Name:	xmasLaGloria4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	291271

Name:	XmasLaGloriaRd.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	291272

Name:	XmasLaGloriaRd2bikes.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	291273

Name:	XmasLaGloriacountyline2.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	291274

Name:	xmasLagloriarddowngrade.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	291275

I rounded a corner only to find Martin and his motorcycle playfully traveling up and around the soggy grass burms and over the gravely embankment- a scene paralelling Long Way Around as Charlie played with his motorcycle in the BMW training yard.... All I could do was sadly watch from my motorcycle....which didn't give me the option to fall over like Ewan in my quest for all-terrain . Even the mucky mud on the road was giving me stability issues. The consistancy of the mud was more of clay and goopy. But it was fun none the less !

Last edited by MissMoxy; 01-07-2009 at 08:04 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Martin traveled in front (most of the time out of view) most of the trip as he mentioned that we should ride our own ride. I agreed... I stopped at the bottom of La Gloria to take a picture and the ground I thought to be solid and level was not so. As I got off my bike, my bike sneakily continued to lean over....

Name:	xmaskickstandtrouble.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	291277

another thank you to duct tape for creating such a durable product !
A car passed by and kept on going (yes, I did not flag them down, but they did not stop and ask either ) 15 minutes of grunting and pondering later Martin came to my rescue.

We continued to Soledad and had a scrumptious mexican burrito. Back on the bikes and we were traveling in the dark down 101.

(Map from La Gloria Road to Jolon)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...&ie=UTF8&z=9We

traveled on down to King City and took Jolon Road to the Ft. Leggett turn off. As we arrived at the primitive campsite two bull elk were in the process of being field dressed. We promptly made a fire, then someone took pictures of the other brushing teeth , pitched the tent, danced a 'get warm' jig, and went to bed. There we camped in 38 degree weather amongst elk hunters in the second week of the season. Our camping neighbors hadn't had any luck in hunting and one said 'It was just too dang cold too be out in this weather so we are headed home'.

Fast forward through an evening filled with snoring, coyotes howling and hunters waking up later- Sunday morning was clear,crisp and sunny. We headed out onto Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd/ Forest Route 22S01 to the coast through some wonderfully winding blind corners and scenic roads :

Map From Jolon to Nacimiento-Ferguson Road to Hwy One

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...,0.760803&z=10

( be sure to zoom in to the westerly side of the route....lots of curves....wee...haha....wooohooo)

My Spot Tracker lost itself in the morning at the campsite but found itself again when I approached the downgrade heading to the coast...Nacimiento-Fergusson for the most part you are following a river bottom that is thick with trees...very 'cozy' feeling. Loose gravel was abound !

Name:	XmasFt.Leggett1.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	291280

Name:	xmasFt.Leggett6.jpg
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	291282

Name:	xmasFt.Leggett4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	291281

Last edited by MissMoxy; 01-07-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Ft. Legget to Highway 1 :

Name:	xmasft.leggettblindcorner.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	291283

Name:	XmasFt.Leggettdowngradeto1.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	291284

Name:	XmasCoastView.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	291285

Name:	XmasCoast1.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	291286

Name:	xmashwy1overlook.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	291287
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Heading to the coast:

Name:	xmasView1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	291291

Name:	xmasPanoramicHwy1.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	291293

We traveled North on Highway one and stopped at a restraunt perched on the cliff overlooking the ocean. Martin had Fish and Chips while I had....something... (that's what I get for waiting to write the report a week later!). We continued up highway one and I had to stop and pee. While stopped , 3 motorcyclists pulled up. One was a girl on a KLR. Her fantastic story was that she had flown from Holland to Florida to ride for charity. Every evening she created a trip report and pictures and sent back to her sponsers in Holland . She chose to ride a KLR which she had just purchased over Craigslist in the states before her arrival for the trip .How cool is that !! Her tour was to take her from Florida to Las Vegas- solo (not sure on the timeframe) . Though the two guys she was with met her along the way and were pointing out spots she would have otherwise missed. She was very cool in my book

Name:	Xmas08kristyandme.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	291290

Name:	xmasFriendsAlongTheWay.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	291292

Name:	xmashwy1sunset.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	291294

( Map From Ferguson road coast drop off onto highway one to SF.... you get the picture)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...8,1.521606&z=9

That night we rode 100 miles straight without stopping . Needless to say, my butt was numb despite sporadic 'high-tailling' in the air to let the blood flow back to my nether regions. Highway 17 is NOT a fun ride when your body is shivering, road conditions are a little wet and the post-Christmas traffic is traveling with x-mas trees on top of their vehicles. BUT (no pun intended) I would rather have a sore arse and be cold than not being out on trip.

So ended an all too brief and cold, spur-of-the-moment trip that was a great close to the Christmas week !

Pictures that Martin took can be found at :
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/69484...44656618_R7ELR

Last edited by MissMoxy; 01-07-2009 at 07:55 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
DefyInertia
Original Saratogian

BARF SFMTA Volunteer

Motorcycles: BW80
Name: Nate
Awesome! I liked the Nacimiento area as well.

Have you seen the "how to pick up a motorycle" video that shows regular people picking up huge bikes with very little effort? The key is to turn your back to the bike and push/lift with your legs.
DefyInertia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
Awesome! I liked the Nacimiento area as well.

Have you seen the "how to pick up a motorycle" video that shows regular people picking up huge bikes with very little effort? The key is to turn your back to the bike and push/lift with your legs.
I had heard of that approach and had managed to accomplish the task when I had my accident...phew, all that adrenaline helped ...even with a broken hand. This time I took off all my gear and tried that (hence the grunting) but to no avail.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
I love your posts and your sense of adventure and joy from riding. Looking forward to more.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Nemo Brinker
Tonight we ride

Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '04 919, '04 DR650
Name: Legion
You're quite a badass--I really enjoy your trip reports.
Nemo Brinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Razorback
Moobie

Motorcycles: 01 FZ1
Name:
Too bad those workers were there.
The best experience I had there was camping solo for a few day further towards New Idra and meeting friends at the Hot Springs during the winter early in the morning. Sitting there in while the cold rain came down and the steam rose was an experience.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Lupin
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2006 BMW GSA
Name:
pretty cool stuff! Wheres La Gloria road on google maps? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
MissMoxy
'svbeesgal'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
pretty cool stuff! Wheres La Gloria road on google maps? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...09863&t=h&z=13
Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
Zachary
Orgasmatron

Motorcycles: 03 fjr1300, 97 klr650, 96zx6e
Name: 1 guess!
oooooooooooooh!!!

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing these pictures!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Ironbutt
Loves the anecdotal

AMA #: 2880504
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yamasaki
Name:
Cool trip report sounds like fun!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
Cool trip report sounds like fun!
It would perfect for your KLR!.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote