BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
ColonelMorgan
was an inside joke
 
ColonelMorgan's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: '01 SV650
Name: Roy
Weekend Ride - Monterey, Hollister and such.

Last weekend, a bunch of us went on a ride from San Francisco down to Monterey.

Of course, going straight there would have been balls, so we took the long way, which was lovely. After some dog petting, coffee, pastries, and some last-minute bladder draining at bluesboy's place, we hit the road.



We took the 101 for a little bit (yawn), then cut through on the 25 through Hollister, Tres Pinos, Pinnacles, down to the 198. Absolutely beautiful and the weather was perfect. Trplgrl and tchaftantouri were sailing out there. I would blame some kind of inherent evil engineered into the British triple, but you know what they say about the nut that connects the handle bar to the seat...



I really should have taken a picture of it, but as was mentioned in another thread, the butterflies were out, and damn if those little buggers aren't chock full of guts.



You can kind of see the bits of them on my windshield, mirror and headlight, but I took two to the face shield with a bit of speed, and boy-oh-boy. I had to turn my head sideways into the wind to try and sheer some of the guts out of the way. Yech!



We stopped at the intersection of 25 and 198 and waited for Ginsburger to show up. We took some pictures, compared bug guts, and stretched our legs a bit.




Here comes ninjakitty.


tchaftantouri and his Green Goddess. Sorry about the bad picture. It's practically criminal.




Here comes Ginsburger!


Little bit of chitting. Little bit of chatting.

From here, we could have gone east on the 198 towards Coalinga or west towards King City. East was supposed to have been really beautiful, but we were all kinda starving, so we headed for King City and some lunch.
ColonelMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
ColonelMorgan
was an inside joke
 
ColonelMorgan's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: '01 SV650
Name: Roy
Thoroughly sated and all gassed up (no pun intended), we headed north-west for Carmel Valley Road.



I had a lot of fun on that road. Despite being 2-up with my girlfriend, these tight, technical roads are my favorite. Even with a couple cars blowing through on blind turns, it was still a ton of fun.

We pulled into the Blue Sky Lodge around 4ish (I think).



Poor Trplgrl ended up with a flat rear tire. tchaftantouri tried his best, but from what I could gather, the fiasco that ensued was something epic in its scale of failure. We ended up locking the bike up for the night.

To digress a bit.



We had beer, and thank goodness. 7 hours of riding is sure to build up a thirst. At some point, Chuck showed up with his Desmosedici. Like a fool, I forgot my camera when we did see it. Perhaps someone can post up a picture of it. Man, that bike was hot sex.

After a few cold ones and the sun having descended beyond the trees, we decided on some thai.

---------------------

I was pretty tired the next day, so I don't quite remember exactly what route we took back. I sort of just hung back and tried not to kill my already-fried rear tire.

Trplgrl was no longer with us as she was waiting for her ride. So we traded a lightning quick triple for a lightning quick desmo. If I recall correctly, we took the back roads somewhere off the 68, headed up towards the 1.

We went back through Watsonville for lunch, up 9, stopped at Alice's for a soda, then headed home. By the time we got back, my rear tire was toast, but it was worth it. It really was a perfect weekend for riding. Sorry Lili.

To those on the ride: Joe, David, Lili, Mike, Vanessa - feel free to post up your pics as well. Someone's got to have one of Cone Head Mike, the Desmo, and maybe some photos to fill in the gaps. I'm really bad at photo-documenting.

I can't wait for the next ride. Til next time!






Chuck, David, Joe, Vanessa, Mike and me.


Feels like we had it all...

Last edited by ColonelMorgan; 04-11-2009 at 11:53 AM..
ColonelMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
cease3184
On a steel horse I ride
 
cease3184's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: back in SF!
Motorcycles: 07 ZX-6R
Name: Cesar
Dang guys, looks like you had a lot of fun. Nice pics!
__________________
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle. ~Author Unknown
cease3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
ColonelMorgan
was an inside joke
 
ColonelMorgan's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: '01 SV650
Name: Roy
Thanks!

Too bad you couldn't come with. Maybe next time.

And yes, I had a lot of fun. I won't answer for everyone else, but there were definitely a lot of smiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cease3184 View Post
Dang guys, looks like you had a lot of fun. Nice pics!
ColonelMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
tchaftantouri
...
 
tchaftantouri's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: sunset,san francisco
Motorcycles: '97 triumph speed triple(Mr.Hyde), 2007 speed triple(Green Goddess)
Name:
Here is the desmo, in front of the Goddess to prove that it really was there with us. One of the few that actually gets ridden hard.
Accelerating it sounds like some wild beast that wants to disembowel you and make you watch while it devours your steaming entrails....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	302000  
__________________
"Would it have been worthwhile,To have bitten off the matter with a smile,To have squeezed the universe into a ball to roll it toward some overwhelming question,To say 'I am Lazarus come from the dead,Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all'- If one settling a pillow by her head , should say:'That is not what I meant at all.That is not it at all'". T.S.Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters;
"Remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. ".
tchaftantouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
NorCalBusa
Member #294
 
NorCalBusa's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: .
Motorcycles: .
Name:
(PS- all these pictures are at H25 and Bitterwater Rd- not at H25/H198)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelMorgan View Post
Last weekend, a bunch of us went on a ride from San Francisco down to Monterey.

Of course, going straight there would have been balls, so we took the long way, which was lovely. After some dog petting, coffee, pastries, and some last-minute bladder draining at bluesboy's place, we hit the road.



We took the 101 for a little bit (yawn), then cut through on the 25 through Hollister, Tres Pinos, Pinnacles, down to the 198. Absolutely beautiful and the weather was perfect. Trplgrl and tchaftantouri were sailing out there. I would blame some kind of inherent evil engineered into the British triple, but you know what they say about the nut that connects the handle bar to the seat...



I really should have taken a picture of it, but as was mentioned in another thread, the butterflies were out, and damn if those little buggers aren't chock full of guts.



You can kind of see the bits of them on my windshield, mirror and headlight, but I took two to the face shield with a bit of speed, and boy-oh-boy. I had to turn my head sideways into the wind to try and sheer some of the guts out of the way. Yech!



We stopped at the intersection of 25 and 198 and waited for Ginsburger to show up. We took some pictures, compared bug guts, and stretched our legs a bit.




Here comes ninjakitty.


tchaftantouri and his Green Goddess. Sorry about the bad picture. It's practically criminal.




Here comes Ginsburger!


Little bit of chitting. Little bit of chatting.

From here, we could have gone east on the 198 towards Coalinga or west towards King City. East was supposed to have been really beautiful, but we were all kinda starving, so we headed for King City and some lunch.
__________________
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
ColonelMorgan
was an inside joke
 
ColonelMorgan's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: '01 SV650
Name: Roy
Ahhh...it's all coming together now.
ColonelMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
TrplGrl
Team Old Age & Treachery
 
TrplGrl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, CA
Motorcycles: S3r
Name: Lili
Might as well add a couple of mine...



Before the ride at Joe's house enjoying warm coffee and muffins...



Vanessa arrives to the cut off to king City...



Taking a break after meeting Mike.



Who knew the Speed Triple was really a sport-tourer?



Back at the hotel...my first glympse of a Desmo "in the wild."



Good food and good company at dinner...



Vanessa and Joe smile for the camera(s)



4 plugs and 2 cans of Fix-A-Flat could not coax my old girl into action. Perhaps she knew that David was going to let me ride his NEW Speedy that day and she thought that might hasten her replacement! Thanks again to Dennis for rescuing me and to David for his seeming endless determination to get my bike rolling again!

And now...for everyone's auditory pleasure...Chuck's Desmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2VaNtTifM
__________________
"it's not a crotch rocket, and it's not one of those Harleys. I don't know what it is but it doesn't make me think you're a dirt bag." (random woman to guy with an S3)
TrplGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
NoGall
..
 
NoGall's Avatar
 
AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
atoyf
Veteran
 
atoyf's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Concord
Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
i rode almost he same route this past Sunday... only i ended up back in the city.. long beautiful ride!

too bad you guys didnt make your ride public, id join you.
__________________
Regards, Anton
atoyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Beezy
Veteran
 
Beezy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: So Bay
Motorcycles: '04 Ninja 250
Name:
From the pictures it looks like it was a beautiful ride!
Ahh... I am getting inspired to do some much longer treks out ...
thanks for sharing! I like the route.
Did it suck too much to do so much Hwy 101?
__________________
The happiest people I know own ponies, dogs, cats and at least one deranged goat.

How's yer mileage?
Fuelly!!
Beezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
flying_hun
Adverse Selection
 
flying_hun's Avatar
 
AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orinda, CA
Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
What a great trip!
__________________
Kurt

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne


Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
TrplGrl
Team Old Age & Treachery
 
TrplGrl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane, CA
Motorcycles: S3r
Name: Lili
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
From the pictures it looks like it was a beautiful ride!
Ahh... I am getting inspired to do some much longer treks out ...
thanks for sharing! I like the route.
Did it suck too much to do so much Hwy 101?
The freeway ride wasn't too bad...especially since we were rewarded with hwy 25! It is a great route for newbies and not so newbies alike. But I wouldn't recommend it in the dead of summer...it get oppressively hot on 25 in the summer.
__________________
"it's not a crotch rocket, and it's not one of those Harleys. I don't know what it is but it doesn't make me think you're a dirt bag." (random woman to guy with an S3)
TrplGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
ColonelMorgan
was an inside joke
 
ColonelMorgan's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: '01 SV650
Name: Roy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrplGrl View Post
The freeway ride wasn't too bad...especially since we were rewarded with hwy 25! It is a great route for newbies and not so newbies alike. But I wouldn't recommend it in the dead of summer...it get oppressively hot on 25 in the summer.
It was definitely nicer to start with 101 than to end with it. With what we had to look forward to, 101 was just some time to get my head in the saddle.

And yes. 25 sure was a blast.
ColonelMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #15
Spec-ECU
required protocol
 
Spec-ECU's Avatar
 
SBK Slut / AMA #3287659
Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor ++ 1%
BrotoGP

Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Lorenzo
Motorcycles: 66 Suzuki K15 . 07 Triumph Speed Triple . 09 Yamaha R1 . 05 MV Agusta F4
Name: Dennis
Is it just me, or does Lili need a new bike that can keep up with her blistering pace?

__________________
BrotoGP Podcast
Road racing talk.
By BARFers, for BARF.


RiderzBlog | Z≤ Track Days
Spec-ECU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.