Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
LeMec
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati MS 1100
Name: devinez
Blowing Off Bridge Tolls

Without boring people with the details, I have an old dispute with Fastrack about some GGB tolls. They were not being helpful and since I had sold the vehicle involved, I blew it off, got some letters from their blood sucking collection agency, but blew those off too. Heard nothing for a year. No big deal EXCEPT something one of my friends recently said has got me wondering if this could result in an arrest warrant being issued for me. Does anyone know if this is likely?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
vought
Riding every day

Motorcycles: 1989 GS500E, 2013 BMW F800GS
Name: Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMec View Post
Without boring people with the details, I have an old dispute with Fastrack about some GGB tolls. They were not being helpful and since I had sold the vehicle involved, I blew it off, got some letters from their blood sucking collection agency, but blew those off too. Heard nothing for a year. No big deal EXCEPT something one of my friends recently said has got me wondering if this could result in an arrest warrant being issued for me. Does anyone know if this is likely?
Except for blocking your registration, massive increases and late fees in the fine for blowing it off, and possibly losing your vehicle altogether, you'll be fine.

Google FasTrak penalties. It's legalized, structured theft. And I'm not even going to get into the Lexus Lane BS. You'd think a company that does millions a day in transactions could afford a better web site, but the truth is that they have zero incventive to fix their broken IT systems or the horrific billing methods they seem to share with Clipper. (Bill you now...service at some point in the future after we get to play with your money for 72 hours)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Yes, just ignore government agencies. They will leave you alone. You bet.

What typically will happen is that the fines will bump up and if you don't pay, eventually it goes to the DMV, your license can not be renewed, and a warrant is issued for your arrest. You are better off calling them up and working it out. Did you send in a release when you sold the vehicle? It should be in the DMV records. As long as you can PROVE you sold the vehicle and to whom, you are good. Quit fucking around and get on the phone.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
This sounds like a civil issue over disputed money owed. As such, it would not result in a criminal warrant for your arrest. It's probably not a good idea to ignore it though.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Do they have some kind or review process to dispute a claim? Even if they do, it is probably too late to seek that kind of remedy.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
vought
Riding every day

Motorcycles: 1989 GS500E, 2013 BMW F800GS
Name: Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
This sounds like a civil issue over disputed money owed. As such, it would not result in a criminal warrant for your arrest. It's probably not a good idea to ignore it though.
I would agree, except blowing a toll is an infraction, is it not? As a contracted technology enforcement agency a la RedFlex (the red light ticket people), the FasTrak people should be having an officer review photos of infractions in order to issue the violation notice.

Maybe I should follow my own advice and go google it instead of wasting precious bytes.

EDIT: My assumption is that this is like parking tickets, and I don't think they'll yank your license (therefore leading to an arrest/impound offense if you're caught) for not paying those, but you will have to have a little come-to-Jesus moment with the DMV when it comes time to get that little sticker next year.

Last edited by vought; 10-04-2011 at 12:23 PM..
vought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Warrior Princess
Freedom Equity Group

Motorcycles: 96 Tiger 885
Name: Joanne
Here is a form to use for DMV holds by FasTrack

http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static...ld_dispute.pdf

And here is what the handbook says on page 12 about this issue:
http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static...s/handbook.pdf

TOLL VIOLATION INFORMATION
The FasTrak system on the Bay Area bridges is designed with
toll violation enforcement equipment. A high-speed camera is
mounted in each toll lane to capture a license plate image of
vehicles that evade paying the toll. It is a violation of the toll
evasion statutes under California Vehicle Code Section 23302 et
seq. and Streets and Highways Code Section 30843 to fail to pay
the established bridge toll. Pursuant to California Vehicle Code
Section 40250 et seq., toll evasion violations shall be enforced
by the issuance of notices of toll evasion violation, delinquent toll
evasion and the imposition of civil penalties. For a schedule of
toll evasion penalties, go to www.bayareafastrak.org.
Failure to respond to a first notice of toll evasion will result in a
second notice. Failure to respond to the second notice will result
in additional penalties and fees, as well as the referral of the
amount due to a collections agency and/or the withholding of
your vehicle registration by the California Department of Motor
Vehicles.
If you are a Bay Area FasTrak customer and your account is
in good standing at the time of the violation, you received the
notice because the vehicle license plate was not listed on your
account. To pay the toll amount and avoid paying the penalty,
you must add the vehicle license plate number to your FasTrak
account by visiting www.bayareafastrak.org or contacting the
FasTrak Customer Service Center

Let me have 1 hour of your time and I am sure to change the way you view what insurance can do for you forever.

Last edited by Warrior Princess; 10-04-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Warrior Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
srneuner
Rookie

Motorcycles: Several
Name: Steve
Quote:
Hi,

I suggest looking at the CA Vehicle Code. Toll Evasions are covered here:
- http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd17c1a4.htm
In particular, see sections 40250 (Toll Evasions), 40258 (Penalty Schedule), 40262 (Effect on Vehicle Registration), and 40262.5 (Failure to Pay).

Looks to me like it's civil penalty/debt with possible high fines, but not subject to arrest as covered in section 40300 (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd17c2a1.htm).

Hope that helps.

--steve
srneuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
srneuner
Rookie

Motorcycles: Several
Name: Steve
Hi,

Here's a few other sections of interest from the CA Vehicle Code in the registration section:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd3c1a6_5.htm
In particular, see section 4774 (Notification of Non Collection of Toll Evasion Penalties):
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4774.htm
Which states:
Whenever a vehicle is transferred or not renewed for two renewal periods and the former registered owner or lessee of the vehicle owes a toll evasion penalty for a notice of delinquent toll evasion violation filed with the department pursuant to Section 40267, the department shall notify each jurisdiction of that fact and is not required thereafter to attempt collection of the undeposited toll evasion penalty and administrative fees.

Hope that helps.

--steve
srneuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
LeMec
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati MS 1100
Name: devinez
Thanks to everyone for the info; it was helpful. Sounds like they can refuse to renew the registration on a vehicle I don't own anymore and sue me to collect the claimed toll (good luck to them on that one, I haven't had a job in over a year and basically live off my friends), but they can't arrest me. Excellent. But I guess I should still keep the title to the Ducati in my girl friend's name, no?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Bouncer
Reads your email

Motorcycles: Some.
Name: Ben
Better hope the person you sold the car to doesn't know where to find you..

I had one of those hit my registration.. I ended up paying around $1,100 to register my car that year...

"... Darwin's up to bat.. Swing and a miss! - oh so close"
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the info; it was helpful. Sounds like they can refuse to renew the registration on a vehicle I don't own anymore and sue me to collect the claimed toll (good luck to them on that one, I haven't had a job in over a year and basically live off my friends), but they can't arrest me. Excellent. But I guess I should still keep the title to the Ducati in my girl friend's name, no?
If you blow this off you are a fool. If you sold the car then get in contact with the toll authority and work it out. If you SOLD it prior to the tickets you will owe nothing. If they were valid, pay them.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Traq
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
If they don't get it through the DMV then they will get it through the FTB. Good luck with your taxes since DMV apparently won't work for them.
Traq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
there are goberment agency's one should not mess with.

one is the fed irs.

the other is the state dmv.

get it fixed, pay the fines. and then kiss them were they like it.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
TommyWillB
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Name: Tom
Seems like a stupid way to ruin your credit rating... Hope you'll never need a loan/mortgage to buy anything in the future because that's when it'll really $COST you.
TommyWillB is offline   Reply With Quote