BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
GWR

Motorcycles: Roadrace-Flat Track-Supermoto
Name: Garrett
Garrett Willis race report Infinion AMA

Hard work is paying off. Infinion went well. About 2 weeks ago I wrote down on a piece a paper "top 5 ama national Infinion".. I thought that is a good goal. I have no idea what the bike is capable of.. no idea how the bike is going to work with the Dunlop spec tires.. hoping my endurance will be good to run strong the whole race.. oh yeah and trying to figure out how to pay for an AMA national. We did pretty well. haha Wish I would have wrote top 3. Next time..

Our weekend started off mid day Friday with a 50 minute warmup. This being my first race weekend in a while I really wanted to focus on being smooth and getting comfortable on the bike. Making sure to hit apex's and trying to figure out where the bike was/wasn't working. my goal was to be top 10.. We were 8th after practice 1. Provisional qualifying next. I knew my time of 1:44.9 wasn't going to do the job in qualifying and I needed to pick up the pace a little bit. We made a gearing change and added a turn of preload. I thought about a few sections where I knew I was losing time and tried to really focus on building speed. With fresh Dunlop rubber I got into the 1:43's.. We ended the day 12th on the grid before the second qualifying session, the next morning.

Infinion is usually pretty green in the mornings so we hoped that our time would be okay for 3rd row start. I ended up getting bumped by one rider and moved to the inside of the 4th row. I wasn't really worried, I always go faster in the race and I felt very comfortable with the speed I had done the day before.

Race 1-
I got a decent jump and ran 12th for a moment before moving up one spot to 11th. 4th lap there was an crash in turn 1 involving Cam Gish and Hayden Gillam causing a red flag. Its was a long red flag as Cameron was injured. (I am sending positive thoughts your way dude.. get better!) On the restart I was re-gridded third row giving me a better look at the top 8 guys. Again we got a decent jump up to 9th. Once with the top bikes I realized the old Honda was a bit down on power to the others. I Figured I would just stay smooth and see how the race played out. I was forced to be late on the brakes and stay mistake free. Ended up having a few good little battles. Went back and forth with Wyatt Farris a few times but was able to pull away and set my fastest lap... on the last lap. 1:42.7.

Race 2-
Again starting from row 4 I had my work cut out for me. With multiple red flags I ended up re-gridded on the second row. For the final restart I got a good jump and tried to move to the race line for turn 1. I ran fourth for a lap or so and then got into a race with multiple riders. As I started to push harder to stay with the front group I begin to over ride the bike setup a bit and went backwards a few spots. We spread out as the race went on. I just tried to settle into a rhythm and put in consistent laps. I thought I was 6th but later learned actually 8th. Not bad but would have liked to had been able to run the pace of the three or four riders in front of me.

It was an awesome weekend. I cant thank the people who made it possible enough. Leo Vince USA thankyou Tim and Manny, Dr. David Benkle you are the man, B.A.R.F., Arai Helmets Bruce Porter, Dainese, Super Moto USA, KH Coaching, Brake Tech, Captive Collars, Oakley, the entire Hinkey family, CrossFit Eschelon, Colin Jurczak, Daniel baldini and my Mom and Dad and family. awesome weekend, cant wait till were on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_BAD0225.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	393551   Click image for larger version

Name:	_BAD0210.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	393552   Click image for larger version

Name:	548300_3473620832687_1036159027_33118628_1606480101_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	393553  
GWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
DanielB
WTF

Motorcycles: CBR600RR
Name:
You did a fantastic job! And with the situation being what is was, it was a victory for the everyone involved..Everything will come together and perhaps at Laguna, we might have a surprise for the guys up front!
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Great job Garrett..

Solid results... Solid!
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Texwasabi
Veteran

Motorcycles: Schwinn
Name: Mike
Good to see your career is moving onward and upward, good job mang!
Texwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Whatever you let me borrow
Name: Nic
You forgot to mention you got 5th on race 1!!! Glad I was able to help you out over the weekend. Good job man!!
Neek - SMUSA #143
NeeksRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Yoda voice "modest he is".
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
rob linders
Veteran

Motorcycles: 97 Kawasaki KX250,
Name:
Great job out there. I'm sure you surprised a bunch of people, putting a Honda so far up in the field.
rob linders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
com3
highside surprise!

Contributor

Motorcycles: 50cc's of highside safeguard
Name: joe
you rocked it out there, dude! great riding! i got a few pics of you while i was there: http://4theriders.com/pics.php?loc=/...A-INFINEON/80/