BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Name: Bill
Couple of great Napa/Sonoma back roads

I know a lot of you ride the area around Berryessa and north of Napa Valley, but I haven't noticed any group rides mentioning Mt. Veeder or Spring Mountain roads. Maybe I've just missed it, but for anyone not familiar with these two I'd like to highly recommend them. Here is a map of a ride I took yesterday, starting and ending at a riding buddy's in Winters.

Link to google map above

From Wooden Valley or 128, I like to take 121 over to Napa, then head west through town on Trancas St. After crossing Hwy 29, the name changes to Redwood Rd. Continuing west out of town the fun begins. Lots of tree shaded twisty pavement, and very little traffic at least on week days. I suspect it's nearly as good on weekends as this road is off the wine tasting circuit.

After a few miles Redwood turns off to a dead end, so continue straight onto Mt. Veeder Rd. The pavement gets real bumpy and narrow in places, which always helps me slow down and take in the sights. At the summit of the climb there are great views.

Then descending the other side you're treated to some nice hairpin turns and stands of redwood forest.

About 10 miles after leaving Napa you reach Dry Creek Rd. and you're back onto smooth pavement. Taking a right and continuing takes you up and over the Oakville grade. At the bottom I make a left onto 128 and grab lunch at the old Oakville Grocery.

Spring Mountain Rd. takes off out of St. Helena. Right now there is road construction along 128 between Oakville and St. Helena, making a slow stop and go slog. Better to take Oakville Cross Rd. over to Silverado Trail, then north to Pope St., then back across to St. Helena.

I had only ridden Spring Mountain Rd once before, and yesterday it was as good as I remembered. It's about 11 miles long but seems longer because there is so much beautiful terrain to ogle and twisty up and down road to savor.

Bathed in green light, you roll through nice tree shaded twisties and past vineyard views.

Ho hum, more hairpin turns through tall redwood forest.

About half way through at the Napa/Sonoma County line the name changes to St. Helena Rd. and becomes a bit rougher, and the scenery changes more toward oak woodland with dramatic rocky ledges along one side. It ends at Calistoga Road/Petrified Forest Rd., where turning left takes you to Santa Rosa or right goes to Calistoga. A fun road in its own right, Calistoga Rd. is smooth and curvy. Yesterday we went through Calistoga and back down Silverado Trail, with a side trip up Deer Park Rd. and down Old Howell Mountain Rd., then back to Winters on 128. THe view from Old Howell Mountain looking east toward Lake Hennessey:

So if you haven't tried these two roads and are looking for a new route give these a try. They fit in nicely with a Wooden Valley/121/Anguin/Pope Valley circuit.

-Bill

Last edited by GB500guy; 06-16-2016 at 01:47 PM..
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
rodr
Veteran

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
I've been on all those roads but it's been a while. Need to get back there. Nice pics and write-up!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
wheel_muse
bicycles 'n motos

Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: '18 Honda NC750XD
Name: Brian
Great roads!

I've been two-wheeling on those roads with and without a motor. Thanks for reminding me with the great write-up and pics! Hey, nice Hondas!!
wheel_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
Griffindor
rookie

Motorcycles: ___~~]○ / \ ● ●
Name: Will
I used to ride those roads long time ago with the Misfits (Koi)s. I just wonder what happened to our group...I really enjoyed our group rides. I became a better rider riding with all of them too. Like their usual joke about me being the slowest f______o rider, I got better, just better rider than slowest rider.
Let's do a come back group ride one more time....
Old 09-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 3% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: '03 DR650, 09 DR650 w/ RMZ450 front end, 2009 FZ1, 2019 KTM 790 ADV S, 89 Transalp
Name: Triple R
Thank you for the write up and photos.
i don't get lost. i explore alternative destinations.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
camelman

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Name:
Great writeup and pics! I'm definitely going to check that route out.

I've been looking for one road I drove about ten years ago that I've never been able to find since. I remember it being kinda cruddy and broken up... maybe gravel too. It had dips at stream crossings with concrete laid in the stream beds to give a decent driving surface. It would be fun on a standard or dual sport bike, but I can't find it for the life of me. Any ideas?
camelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelman View Post

I've been looking for one road I drove about ten years ago that I've never been able to find since. I remember it being kinda cruddy and broken up... maybe gravel too. It had dips at stream crossings with concrete laid in the stream beds to give a decent driving surface. It would be fun on a standard or dual sport bike, but I can't find it for the life of me. Any ideas?
Sounds like Berryessa Knoxville Rd to Morgan Valley Rd. Goes from Lake Berryessa to Lower Lake.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelman View Post

Yep, as dravnx said, that would be Berryessa Knoxville Rd. Pics and ride reports here:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...ight=knoxville

and here:

After all this rain the water crossings are probably a bit challenging right now though!

-Bill
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB500guy View Post
Yep, as dravnx said, that would be Berryessa Knoxville Rd. Pics and ride reports here:

and here:

After all this rain the water crossings are probably a bit challenging right now though!

-Bill
Nicely understated.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
camelman

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Name:
Thanks for the routes! I am going to try my old CL350 on that road once the water level drops.
camelman is offline   Reply With Quote