Old 07-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

AMA #: 2823804
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 8%

Motorcycles: 2005 Concours 2002 KLR
Name: The Koi
Father and Son - Epic Hunt for Bigfoot, Seafood, and Epic Roads - Year 2

So when we last left our heroes, my father and I had just finished searching for seafood and epic roads down south. Did you miss it? Linky

Fast forward a year and we decided to go for a bigger goal than just measly epic roads and epic seafood. This year we decided to hunt Bigfoot to the ends of the earth, or at least the most Northwest we could get in the United States. We set destination goals, and then figured out what route to get there. Cape Flattery, Bremerton, Orting, Klamath Falls, Willow Creek. Of course, the first thing I did was ask for advice on BARF. (Linky) As always, I got some great advice, and some laughable comments out of it. To islemann, who warned us we were crazy for trying to do the Oregon coast in a day..... You gave a lot of great advice, that one was a miss however.

I had never packed for a trip of this magnitude on a motorcycle, so I also asked for opinions on what to pack from those who do this kind of thing all the time. (Linky) Most told me I was crazy for the amount of stuff I was attempting to bring, and gave me great ideas for bringing it down to reasonably overloaded as opposed to ridiculously overloaded.

The Final Pile

I also had some prep to do to get ready for a trip this large. My tires were toast after a trackday and a lot of riding so those needed to be replaced.

Upon removal I realized my rear brakes were toast as well.

And I wanted to replace my front brakes and rotors too, which was an ordeal in itself to find rotors, and a literal pain to do.

After I replaced all that and got the bike back together, my speedometer cable broke on the test ride. Big thanks to KB motorsports in Petaluma for getting me overnighted for less than 10 bucks.

Finally though, the day was upon us, our bags were packed, we were excited little school children the day before going to Disneyland. Our route was simple for day 1. We were sticking to 101 the entire way to Oregon with a couple ideas for stops en-route. (Linky for route, will add photo later)

Horses are loaded and ready to go.
_OI_6679 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

First stop, breakfast in Ukiah. Bluebird Cafe. I've been stopping here for 20+ years on my way North, and it's always a favorite.
_OI_6680 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Our first search for Bigfoot was a tremendous failure. We were very close and unable to get a hold of him. "He's RIGHT BEHIND YOU!"
_OI_6690 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

No trip through the Redwoods is complete without a run through the Avenue of the Giants. I usually skip the first few exits and get off at Myer's Flat (It's where it's at) for a run to the visitor center and then to Founder's Grove and Bull Creek Flats. It reminds me of Star Wars every time (it was filmed there) and as dad noticed, if you stood up it completed the feel of riding a 74-Z speeder through the redwoods. A perfect place to hunt Bigfoot if I ever saw one and home to the tallest tree in the world.
_OI_6745 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I of course, had to give my BARF love to everyone.
_OI_6800 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Next up was the Newton B Drury parkway in next heart of Redwoods north of Orick. One of my absolute favorite places on earth for the Roosevelt Elk, the Redwoods, and the scenery all around. It would have been this time too except as soon as we got off 101, I was viciously attacked by a bee and suffered a sting to the neck at 55mph. This didn't stop us however, from searching for Bigfoot again on Cal-Barrel road. A forest road that is usually closed passed a certain point to preserve the woods, it is open to dogs, bikes, and hikers. It is also home to the 2nd largest tree in the world.
_OI_6851 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We stopped quickly and asked Paul and Babe if they had seen Bigfoot... they had not.
_OI_6870 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Lunch was at a place called The Chart Room in Crescent City. As usually required of seafood dives, it was a place on a wharf, that hadn't been cleaned in a 100 years, filled with a mix of tourist and locals all craving good seafood. The lobster bisque was excellent. The ride from Crescent City to Brookings was pretty uneventful and concluded with sprinkles after we crossed the Oregon border. That night it turned into full blown rain, but the folks at the hotel were nice enough to basically say, "Wherever you can get your bike is fine with us." They even brought us a roll of garbage bags to cover our seats if we wanted.

Wow, that was all just day 1? Jeeeez, how long is this report going to be?

Departed at 5:30am
Arrived in Brookings at 3:30pm
385 miles total for day 1.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 08:49 PM..
i_am_the_koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Day 2

Was happy to see that when we woke up it had stopped raining and besides some overcast, it looked to be a dry day for us. We packed and got loaded, and were on the bikes by 6am skipping a breakfast spot to get some miles behind us. This was a mistake and we both agreed to get something in our bellies before leaving after this. The overcast broke into a beautiful coastal morning and we both were happy as previous trips to Oregon had been a tour-de-fog. Our route again was pretty simple and we headed off (Linky)
_OI_6875 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

This was short lived however and by the time we got to Cape Blanco, the westernmost point in Oregon, the fog was back and there wasn't much to see. What we could see was beautiful but anything Westerly was nothing but fog.
_OI_6891 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We hiked out a little trail towards the lighthouse hoping to find it but never got there. Got to a cliff edge and turned around to find our bikes somehow. Later we looked and realized that the trail we walked down ended about 50 feet from the lighthouse and we never saw it, the fog was that thick.
_OI_6908 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Just down the coast a bit farther though the fog was gone and remained gone for the rest of the day.
_OI_6921 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

The coast was beautiful and it was fun to see the changes in terrain from coastal, to sandy, to lakes, to farmland, and back to coastal. Just like CA it depended on the hill and proximity to water. We pushed through to Newport for lunch at the Rogue Brewery - Brewers on the Bay World Headquarters.

To search for Bigfoot inside of course.
_OI_6928 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I wanted to stop at Rogue to try their "Beard Beer", a beer made from the yeast gathered off the brewer's beard. Yup, you heard me. It actually turned out to be my favorite of the trip and I bought a bottle, which I then got signed by the beard himself.

After this, we discovered that Oregonians don't like motorcyclist, especially ones who lane share, pass on the broken yellow, or "cut in line" when there is an accident 2 miles ahead. I got lots of BARF salutes from the masses, which I felt bad about considering I was wearing my slow your roll vest through it all. One lady tried to squeeze me as I lane shared past her, and then pulled up beside me to accuse me of trying to hit her truck. One lady also tried to squeeze me as I attempted to pass her on a broken yellow. Whatever, we were almost to Astoria and it was barely 4pm. Where was the traffic we had heard about? Where was the massive amounts of tourist? We saw some in each little coastal town but passed it all up. We made one last stop along the river for a break and to watch some fisherman get their boat out of the water.
_OI_6932 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Parking was much better in Astoria as the hotel let us park right out front of the lobby, and even got their maintenance guy to bring us some cones to mark off our bikes.

Right around the corner from the hotel was another Rogue Public House, so we decided to double dip our Rogue pleasure and hit the restaurant again. We timed it right and got a nice sunset to watch as we dined on farm raised pork, mustard, cheese, marionberry, and other scrumptious goodies.

Total mileage for the day - 365
Departed Brookings at 6am
Arrived in Astoria at 4pm

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Day 3

We woke up and watched the news as it reported rain for our ride. We checked the internet, rain as well. We looked outside and it was beautiful outside... We shall see what the day brings.
_OI_6937 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

This morning we grabbed a small breakfast from the lobby and hit the road about 6am once again. Without meaning to, we roared the roads of Washington after crossing the huge bridge leaving Astoria. I wanted to stop and do the truffle shuffle at the old goonie house, but the lady there had gone wacko about tourist and covered it with tarps and shit.

We had our route planned to be simple but effective for distance and time. Today was the day we got to the tip, and just the tip, of the US, bucket list day! (Linky)

We started down the road and started spotting rainbows. The difference between rainbows in California and the rainbows in Washington, are that rainbows mean rain in Washington....
_OI_6954 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Where the news didn't expect rain until 11am, we were hitting scattered storms starting at 6... Enough to wet the visor but not enough to warrant a change in gear. Our search for Bigfoot was too much to wuss out on some simple sprinkles.
_OI_6962 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We didn't see anyone for what felt like hours. No other vehicles, no people, no movement, nothing but trees and more trees. It went on forever, up and down, around mountains, by streams, more trees. I felt like I had forgotten the point of the trip. I forgot where we were going and felt like the road just was going to go on forever. I didn't notice as the first hour went by. The second blurred as well into a third and suddenly we came across a small little town called Forks, WA. Needing gas we stopped, and then deciding to grab a bite went to the local coffee shop. Later I realized that the town was in fact the town from the movie Twilight, and then things made sense. In this restaurant there were, how can I say nicely, some really ugly people. They looked extremely local. Then, there were a couple of other tables with, how should I say... some extraordinarily beautiful people. Like, out of place beautiful. If there was sunlight, they would have sparkled.

Fearing we were not in Bigfoot country, we pressed on to the tip of Washington, the tip of the US, and only the tip known as Cape Flattery. When we arrived it was overcast but nice. The first people we talked to mentioned how humid it was coming back up the hill and so we de-geared and got ready for our hike. We kept an eye open for any Bigfoots and started down the trail. It was a really well made trail with stone and wood walkways through some beautiful rain forest.
_OI_6977 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We met some fellow Bigfoot hunters out there as well.
_OI_6979 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

And then we arrived at the point. Looking left all you saw was receding coast line and huge ocean caves. To the right was Canada Eh, and more caves. Ahead of you was the tiny island lighthouse, Tatoosh. And that was all.

To the left
_OI_6999 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

To the right
_OI_6996 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

As we sat there and enjoyed the view, it started to sprinkle on us. We decided that this was the rain we were expecting so we started up the trail to the bikes. By the time we got there, we were sweating pretty hard from the humidity. 58 degrees and rain forest conditions was different for sure. When we got to the bikes, it was a downpour. Our gear, was soaked. By the time I got my helmet on, my glasses were fogged up, my visor was fogged up, and I was a wet cat. The ride off the cape and through Neah bay was scary to say the least. All I could make out was my dad's taillight, and the yellow line. I went slow and eventually we got ahead of the rain enough to stop and wipe off the gear. We knew when we were going to get hit with more because we could make out the Canadian coast, but when it went away we knew rain was inbound.

112 was one of the highlights of the trip along the Washington coast and was something recommended by a few BARFers to do. It was beautiful, it was twisty, along the creek and ocean edge, just amazing. There was more traffic than we had seen all day but it didn't matter, it was heavenly. We stopped at Salt Creek recreational area, another BARF recommendation, and enjoyed driving through the old WW2 bunkers, and parking under them to avoid a passing rain storm.
_OI_7005 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I found a convenient place to hang my jacket to dry.
_OI_7013 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We pulled into Port Angeles and was pleasantly surprised to again have, front row covered parking

We took a cab into "downtown" and found some seafood, some good beer, and watched the rain roll by along the coast. It was a great evening after a great bucket list day.

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 06:51 PM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Day 4

This was our shortest and supposedly easiest day of the trip. A quick trip up Hurricane Ridge, a quick drive into Bremerton for the ferry to Seattle and then a long night of Seafood and beer on the waterfront of Seattle. Simple right? (Linky)

The road up Hurricane Ridge was awesome. It was twisty and smooth. As we got higher it got wetter and foggier, but it was a beautiful road to do.
_OI_7019 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

You just had to watch for deer.

We stopped for some rolling shots, something I love doing being a sports photographer and always hope that I can get whoever I am riding with to snap of me.
_OI_7055 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Dad with the BARF love
_OI_7069 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Now, this is where things went wrong and we had an Uh-Oh....

Dad came back around and stopped to take shots of me on the bike. As he parked, the kickstand seemed to catch on his pant leg and didn't seat firmly. As my dad let the weight go to the stand, it flopped and over he went. Not crashing, but the bike definitely won vs my father. He tumbled off and thankfully, jumped back up. He went to the bike and I stopped him to catch his breath, the bike wasn't going anywhere and the last thing I wanted was for him to throw out his back trying to lift the bike quickly. He took off his helmet and together we got the bike up. Minor scratch on the tail bag, nothing major or bent. Whew...... or so I thought. Over the next few days my father's tailbone would bother him. Not to a point that it hurt the ride or kept him from being able to keep up, nor even to where we switched routes to accommodate him. Using a helmet communication system though meant I was in for a bunch of grunts and groans as his ass found every pothole across Washington, Oregon, and California.

Dad, bummed as he was, still grabbed some shots of me as I rolled by.
_OI_7080 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

And with the BARF salute again.
_OI_7090 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Two nights before I had seen a post from a BARFer about a bridge he had just worked on that broke again. Our very own Cycle61 was out on scene earlier that day and it wound up having a failure later. Why does this matter? Because I was to cross that bridge on day 4 of the trip and wound up getting stuck in repair traffic, on the bridge.
_OI_7112 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

It was good we did because we were lucky to have a close encounter of the Bigfoot nature!
_OI_7125 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

The bridge finally went up and we continued on into Bremerton. We had planned on taking the ferry across into Seattle and I wanted to stop at a place called the Horse and Cow. Now, growing up as the son of a bubblehead, I had heard stories about the horse and cow my entire life. Sailors dancing on the bar, The Rodeo Song, Nuclear Waste, the memorabilia, it was a historic location that I felt I had to visit. It wasn't the original, or the next 3 locations either, but it still was the place. The walls were decorated with the finery of sailors for years. Diesel boats, nukes, boomers, all sorts of memories flooded back to my father and we sat there and talked for a good while. We both were shocked when the waitress asked if we were there for the Parche reunion, only to find out we were a week early.
_OI_7191 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Still though, very cool for me to experience.

Nuclear Waste!

The USS Parche's sail is right out front of the ferry terminal and so we had to stop for dad to say hi to his old boat. Most decorated boat in the history of the Navy.
_OI_7167 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Parking was sweet for the ferry, once you pay you pull right up front. When the ferry loads, bicyclist go first, motorcyclist second, and then all the cars so it pays to be early so you get front row parking on the boat.
_OI_7194 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

The boat we were going to ride pulled up and we loaded up when it was fully empty.
_OI_7188 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We're on a BOAT!
_OI_7209 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Passing our sister boat, making for a great shot.
_OI_7270 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

And we pulled into the Emerald City ready for a night of seafood...
_OI_7311 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr'

If this was our boat, this is what we would have looked like pulling into the harbor...
_OI_7379 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 07:28 PM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Day 4 Cont - Uh Oh, two pages of adventure!

From the ferry terminal to the hotel was easy. A left, and a right and we were there. Now it did mean going through the Seattle equivelant of San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf, but it was still easy compared to what it probably would have been trying to navigate the freeways into town from the other side. No covered parking this time but if we parked in the striped area, it was free parking, and in the shadow of the Space Needle.

We got changed and went out for a night on the town. Pike's market was a mile away, and the space needle was a few blocks so we headed over to the needle first and then wandered to the market.

Is that bigfoot?
_OI_7342 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Dad gets entranced by the music.
_OI_7334 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Spacey
_OI_7315 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I want one of these in my town, I'd live in that thing on a hot day.
_OI_7356 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

My dad's like Jesus and shit, he walks on water.
_OI_7359 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Speaking of Jesus
_OI_7365 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Not so entranced by their music.
_OI_7377 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

The wall-o-gum was very patriotic.
_OI_7384 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Sunset over the waterfront...
_OI_7393 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

As we were walking back to the hotel a train caught us and passed us, then stopped. We kept walking closer to our turn back to the hotel, the train again started rolling, and then stopped.

"Hey Dad, go hop the train."

No way

"No, go hop it, it will be cool!"

Ok

_OI_7408 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

When we got to our turn it had stopped again, and instead of waiting, it was my turn, and I hopped aboard the train, crossed, and hopped off. The people that had been waiting patiently looked at me with minds blown...

Left Port Angeles @ 7am
Arrived in Seattle at 3:15
Total mileage - 133 miles.

Day 5

The next morning we got up and got on the road wanting to beat any traffic. We were meeting some BARF friends, Cycle61 and Snapper up there for breakfast. Two of my favorite BARFers, and the reason I got into AFM as well as kept involved with BARF from the beginning. The trip out of town was easy and the highways were empty for the most part, certainly more empty then bay area roads would have been at 5:30am. The traffic going the other way was significant though so I can only imagine what the same roads would be like 12 hours later.

We met them in the small town of Orting in the glow of Mt Rainier. It was awesome catching up with the both of them and it was then decided that Snapper would join us as tour guide and take us to some cool spots around the park.
_OI_7420 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

The roads were beautiful but they were doing some road line painting so we caught traffic for a bit. No big deal, following her in the car meant we were keeping a mellow pace anyways and it was gorgeous, when we could see through the trees.
_OI_7426 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

When we got to the top we found of course, the motorcycle parking, which also happened to be, where the snow was.

Was just too beautiful up top so we had Snapper take some photos of us riding by the mountain, because why not.
_OI_7459 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

BARF Love
_OI_7463 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Both Cycle61 and Snapper had talked about Lake Tipsoo as being a great spot to get a reflective look at Mt Rainier on the water. Evidently this was the one lake that had a drought because it's water level was incredibly low for there still being snow all around. No clue, but it was beautiful to walk around.
_OI_7500 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

After Rainier, we looped around to Packwood, got gas and said goodbye to our guide. Our next loop would take us over the NF25 road through the back side of Mt St Helens. It wasn't the best road, but it was amazingly beautiful. Through the back wilderness of the country, the only time we saw people is when we stopped. But first, we had to stop at our road. No clue why there is a road out there with our name, but we're not going to just pass that by.
_OI_7505 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

_OI_7508 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

It was seriously cool looping back that way and 123 was amazing. I had an earplug pop out right before the turn and stopped to put it in. Both my dad and Snapper rolled by and of course, I dropped the ear plug, forgot to loop my helmet, dropped a glove, and other wise wasted time. The game of "catch up" was awesome on that road and I was sad when it ended.

NF 25 went through some amazing countryside as well and whenever a snow capped mountain popped out, you just oooo'd and awww'd at it.
_OI_7523 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

_OI_7534 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We finally came out on the Columbia Gorge and rolled up to the Hood River Bridge. We stopped before the bridge for a photo and my dad cautioned me about the bridge. He reminded me about an old bridge in Napa, the Maxwell Bridge that was about 100 feet of metal grating, and it always was unnerving to cross. He then explained that the entire Hood River Bridge was that metal grating, and then add in a crosswind. I first wanted to throw the but then looked out at the wind surfers, kite surfers, and other wind toy people on the river towards the middle.... This might be interesting.
_OI_7546 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

It wasn't interesting, it was downright scary. You'd be going down, wobbling from the thick ass grating, and then catch a gust of crosswind that blew you 5 feet across the lane. Fuck that bridge, fuck that wind, fuck that fuck that fuck that.

Ok, wasn't that bad, but nope, nope nope nope. I was really just glad the drawbridge didn't go up because... well, where are you going to put a kickstand down to take a picture?

Day 6
Anywho, next morning we got a late start for us after having breakfast on the water.

On the road by 6:45 and over Mt Hood to meet my Uncle in Bend at 11am. Plenty of time and by the looks of the roads, some straight roads for making time. I had no idea how right I was about the straight roads, but more to that later. Mt Hood was really beautiful and again, crisp and clear on the North side. We crossed south and hit fog so we turned around and went up to the top for a stop and some photos.
_OI_7588 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Seriously, the Oregonians know how to build a straight road, like, Egyptian straight. They go over hills, down valleys, and never turn. I even felt brave enough to take a selfie.

Right before the 97, after miles and miles of straight, straight roads, we stopped at an airport and air museum. Not sure about the museum but it was cool driving onto the runway for a break.
_OI_7598 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr
_OI_7601 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr
_OI_7607 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We stopped in Bend and met up with my Uncle for lunch at the Deschutes brewery and then headed down the, again, incredibly straight 97 towards his place in Klamath Falls. We stopped at a gun store which just so happened to be across the street from the kind of place I was looking for this trip.
_OI_7611 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We decided to loop through Crater Lake on the way home so that the next day we could avoid the crowds on the south entrance. It is always a fun place to stop and there was still snow on the ground in places as we made our way up to the lodge.
_OI_7612 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We were greeted accordingly.
_OI_7614 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Stunning day to relax and soak it all in.
_OI_7641 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 09:09 PM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

On our way South we stopped at another view point that was informative. You could see what the original mountain may have looked like and get the true size of it all. You were also in the middle of a beautiful meadow surrounded by cows. It was straight out of a John Wayne western.
_OI_7643 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Just soaking it in.
_OI_7651 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Sunset over Klamath Lake
_OI_7695 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I brought along my 100-400 lens (that I'm borrowing from Frozenuts ) and the one day I actually used it for anything was day 7. My uncle's house is in the middle of a beautiful community and constantly being perused by deer and other wildlife. It was awesome to sit outside and just have them walk right by you like you weren't even there.
_OI_7724 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Day 7
My uncle took us on a local loop to a couple of places on a short ride. First up was Lake of the Woods, a beautiful little resort in the middle of a state forest on the lake surrounded by cabins. It was awesome! Nice little lodge on the lake for lunch, a swimming hole, docks, camp sites, cabins, all sorts for families and really anyone. Definitely would hang out there a lot if I was a local.
_OI_7733 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr
_OI_7741 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Next we went around the Volcanic scenic byway which was beautiful and again, had me flashing to westerns each way I looked. We stopped at a creek which was particularly cool and snapped some photos.
_OI_7767 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

_OI_7805 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Next on the local tour was a fish hatchery whose stock tank, were all 12" or more. It was impressive, especially when you threw a handful of food in there.
_OI_7885 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr
_OI_7969 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr
_OI_7898 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

It did get a little warm, so I decided to squid it up.

I spotted a road that went down a levy looking thing around the lake that I wanted to hit up before sunset for photos. The road itself was a dirt road with some severe washboarding in spots that made riding a 600lbs tank like the Connie a little sketch, but it was cool once I was out there.
_OI_8035 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I decided not to wait for the full color spectrum of sunset because I didn't want to get stuck out on the levy if someone closed the gate, and because of the road so I headed back in and found a secondary spot that I liked, before the bugs came out and ate me alive.
_OI_8080 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-22-2016 at 09:19 PM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Day 8

We got on the road early this morning, earlier then we planned at least. This was our last chance to truly spot Bigfoot. We were going through the heart of Bigfoot country, going through the famed Willow Creek, and ending on the California coast. (Linky)

_OI_8089 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We crossed some open range across the 66 out of Oregon, and when they say open range, they mean it.

The final twisties of 66 were wonderful. I had so much fun I wound up losing my dad and having to wait for him at the bottom before we got on I5 for a short spell.
_OI_8107 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We found ourselves on the Klamath River and 96, the temperature was rising, the weather was beautiful, and the roads...... oh yes, the roads were epic.
_OI_8141 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We were driving through the heart of Bigfoot country, the signs were all around us that we were close.
_OI_8144 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Dad shown for scale.
_OI_8149 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Twisty roads were the game for the day, and boy did we get to play.
_OI_8168 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

And play
_OI_8175 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

And finally, we found Bigfoot.
_OI_8181 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Or at least a burger made out of a Bigfoot... I hope.

Now, Arcata and Eureka are known for many things. Seafood, fishing, redwoods, paper, hippies, and mostly.... Fog. After a full day of warm weather riding, the last 10 miles of the ride were painful. It was a mix of wanting to stop and put on a sweater, cold jacket, liners, overpants, balaclava, and anything else I could to get warm, and just do the last 10 miles to the hotel. It's amazing at how unaware sometimes of your own sweating, but I guarantee you, I knew every drop on my body when that cold fog hit. But, eventually the pain was over and we got to town, to?

Covered parking!

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-24-2016 at 07:02 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Day 9

Our final day. A day to reflect on the ride, and make it home. A day to enjoy the coast, and make it home. A day to be thankful we weren't returning to 100 degree weather, and make it home.
_OI_8189 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Highway 1 from Legget to Fort Bragg is AMAAAZZZING. I love that section and had a lot of fun crossing it. It was only the second time I forgot about my father and focused on the road, to the point that I gapped him. No biggie, at the bottom of the hill I waited for him like a good team rider would.
_OI_8215 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Not much to see on the coast, in fact, you could barely make out the coast for most of the ride. It wasn't until we got through Stewart's Point did we start to see the sun.
_OI_8224 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

We did make one last stop for seafood in Point Arena. Another rookie sport touring mistake. I had my earplug shift again and pulled over to reinsert it. I pulled over about a mile before the 128/1 split and so where I normally would just catch up to my dad, I had to make a decision on which way he would go. We had talked about doing 128 inland, and about doing 1 down the coast. I decided to do 1, not only because of the weather but because the 9 cars in front of me all went on 128 so I would have open roads. It was the right decision and I caught dad as we entered Point Arena.
_OI_8225 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

I had always wanted to ride down the dock there so I chose the moment to take advantage, one, to say that I had done _OI_8245 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

And two, for one last BARF salute to end my Ride Report!
_OI_8242 by i_am_the_koi, on Flickr

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch

Last edited by i_am_the_koi; 07-24-2016 at 07:38 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Final Thoughts

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Extra page

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 07-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

Extra Extra Page

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
poach
seeking balance

Motorcycles: Moto what???
Name:
I laughed, I cried, I cheered/booed/hissed. But mostly I was jealous...

Thx for taking us along.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #14
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418

Motorcycles: '87 Paso 750. '07 KTM 990
Name: Chris
Great RR! And a one-eyed wiener dog, who'da thunk?

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity."
- Isaac Asimov
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #15
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Wow, you and pops are so lucky to share these adventures.

Great pictures.

One question Koi.

How come you didn't get your Dad's good looks?
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote