BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Notices

Old 04-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Name: Bill
Leesville Rd in the green season

In late April this young-at-heart old man's fancy turns to enjoying as much green scenery as possible before the inevitable dry season. So this week was time to experience Leesville Rd., Colusa County, before the landscape turns golden for the summer, and to catch some late season wildflowers. My buddy and I took our trusty NX250s through farm country from Winters up through Hwy 16 to Hwy 20 to begin a scenic loop.

Map of the route starting at Hwy 20:

Signs of the season, wild oat hay was ripe for cutting in Capay Valley . . .

. . . . and spring lambs were fattening on pasture at Full Belly Farm in Guinda.

Reaching Hwy 20 we headed east for 10 miles to the start of Leesville Rd. I have only ridden Leesville during summer and fall, so turning onto it during the green season felt like when the waiter sets a piece of seasonal fresh peach pie in front of you, or something like that. Best to slow down and enjoy. Anyway, I was giddy with excitement and the scenery did not disappoint. The south and west facing slopes were already drying out, lending interesting texture to the hills.

The mostly deserted road is paved for the first few miles, winding along creeks and through oak woodlands.

We motor along in put-put mode, the better to savor the spectacular scenery. Like that peach pie, the experience is so pleasurable we want it to last. Wide open valleys, old windmills pumping water for grazing cattle, and whispy white clouds overhead keep us turning our heads side to side and grinning inside our helmets.

A few miles along the road turns to gravel and begins a wonderful serpentine climb up and over a ridge toward Bear Valley. Really grinning now, this part is better than any amusement park ride. We scoot along greeted by increasingly dramatic views of the valley behind.

Near the summit we find the perfect lunch spot. Time to pull over, sit on the roadside and refuel while absorbing the breathtaking view.

Cresting the summit we take one last look back . . .

. . . then look north west to admire Snow Mountain before rolling down into Bear Valley.

After finding only a so-so wildflower display in Bear Valley a couple of weeks back we skid to a stop at these sights-

Continued . . .

Last edited by GB500guy; 05-02-2017 at 03:43 PM..
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
More . . .

Our cheeks now sore from smiling, we follow Bear Creek south through Bear Valley and take Hwy 16 back toward home.

We stop at the Corner Store in Guinda and use their log for a butt break on our last leg.

Another great day on two wheels.

-Bill
Old 04-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Map8
I want nothing

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR
Name: Steve
Another "Best of" entry for riding in Northern California. Can't get enough of your reports. Thanks for the pics of Capay Valley. I think its one of the prettiest valleys in all of California.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
Man N California is beautiful this time of year. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
injun
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZRX 1200- Cagiva Gran Canyon
Name: nobody
Thank you!
"It's like standing in the rain with a sieve trying to catch a bucket of water" Adam Guzzo! RIP 4-11-15 A great painter and friend.
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Thanks for the comments guys, thank YOU all for following along.

-Bill
Old 05-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
I have to get up and ride some of those roads. Amazing how quickly all the green will turn to brown.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John