two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 3% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: '03 DR650, 09 DR650 w/ RMZ450 front end, 2009 FZ1, 2019 KTM 790 ADV S, 89 Transalp
Name: Triple R
Weaver wander: Weaverville and beyond

4 August 2017

For the second year in a row Budman let me put on a rally in Weaverville. Thanks Budman! Talk about fun. So many people I like gathered in one spot.

I recently picked up a DR650 and wanted to ride it to to the rally rather than Strom #4 (2003 DL1000). I handed her off to my mechanic to have a few things checked and make sure she was ready for the voyage. I picked her up the day before I left. She had a new and random bit of oil leaking, said my mechanic. The floor beneath her didn't look bad - just a drop of oil. Nothing major, right? Off I went. Pre-departure rally prep must continue. Once she was warmed up more oil seemed to be coming out than one might have guessed based on that drop on the floor. I think to myself, "OK. I'll bring oil and keep an eye on it. Not much I can do at this point."

Next morning, there I am at the rally check point. The bike has been ridden 40 miles or so. Oil is leaking to the ground. Lots of it. Ugh. I send off everyone that was at check in and wait for stragglers. Secretly, I just want to ride to Weaverville on my own and do my own thing. No stragglers come so I head north towards Tomales. I hit some construction, wiggle to the front of the stopped traffic and am rewarded with no traffic the entire way up Panoramic. My planned route has me going up 1 the entire way to Alderpoint behind Garberville. Except there's a fire that has broken out on Alderpoint so I may need to re-route. Ah, the joys of travel. No worries, I have two alternates in mind.

In Tomales I stop to grab another quick cup of espresso. A puddle of oil grows quickly under the bike and I can see that my rear tire is oily as well. I say a few curse words and grab my limited tools to see if I can get a sense of where this oil is coming from. A few minutes of fiddling and I am not seeing an obvious answer.

So I use my phone a friend option to call my friend Eric. He's a mechanic, rider and all around good guy. He is at work. I get his address and head his way. This was not on my route. D'oh. No worries. Plan B is up my sleeve if he can get my bike happy again. He does some stuff and some things. Asks some questions. Uses some brake cleaner. Finds the source of the oil leak (cracked oil line). Guess who is about to learn how to remove her tank? But first to unpack the bike. WEEEEE... Sad face.

Oil line off, cleaned, run across the wire brush and soldered. Reinstalled. Bike on. Seems to work. Repack stuff and now I get to slab north to work plan B. It's 1:45 when I leave Santa Rosa. Stop in Hopland for a quick refuel. A little oil gathers under the bike but not as much as the last stop. I hope it's just residual stuff dripping because of all the brake cleaner.

I press north and take 162 towards Covelo. It's really a wonderful stretch of road that flows like the river next to it. Lots of fun elevation changes and great scenery but I take it easy with my still slightly oily tires. I'm in a great flow and having a great ride nonetheless. In Covelo I fuel up and hydrate. No leaks under the bike. Eric has done the job. I am about to fix the problem of oily wheels by heading up Mina Road to Kettenpom. It's unpaved and it's delicious. My route allows me to avoid any closures on Alderpoint and the construction on HWY 36. Despite being unpaved it's the fastest way to Weaverville at this point.

Mina was as pretty as I remembered but a bit siltier than the last time I rode it. Fully loaded and alone I took it very easy through here. There are a lot of big trucks hauling ass up and down the road and they roar straight down the middle. I arrive in Kettenpom for a quick stop. Even just a few minutes here is enough to make me smile. On this visit I had a riveting conversation about a loose dog with the young man whose mother was working at the store. He must have been about 5 or so and very cute.

Off I ride towards Zenia and Van Duzen roads. I am singing in my helmet and super, duper content. I realize I am as happy as I have been in a long while as I burble along. I once again do NOT stop at Mad River for a burger for the sixth time in a row. WTF?!? I ever so briefly toy with the idea of riding Forest Route 1N03. But I decide not to be late for the rally again and take 36 to 3. I am having a BLAST on this section of road with the DR and I am at HWY 3 before I know it. I take a few corners then...

Nature calls and I answer. I am coming out from behind a large rock when I see a rider headed my way. He slows. I give the thumb up. He stops. It's Kurt! In great spirits from hours on my own I follow him in to Weaverville as the sun starts to set. After a day alone it's great to have company for the last little stretch, especially when they give you great lines to follow.

I arrive in Weaverville feeling very fortunate to have my bike issue resolved and pleased with the days ride. My rally is off to a great start and so many of my friends are there to greet me with hugs. It's the start of several great days in a row for me.

i don't get lost. i explore alternative destinations.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
... haha ... way to go wrestling the oil leak
to the ground Eric, and unloading, removing
the DR's tank and reloading again TWT!

IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 08-13-2017 at 10:44 PM..
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Nice beginning.
Minor issue presents, is found & fixed, the adventure continues.

Can't wait for part 2...
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
I'll be the first.
I'm glad you were able to get the issue resolved enough to continue with your trip but I for one would not leave the house on a bike with a known oil leak, especially since you had another mount to ride.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
IDK, I've got a '73 Triumph and an '85 H-D that wouldn't
get ridden much if I expected them to be oil-tight ...

... come to think of it I rode a KLR on
a lot of long rides where I had to
put 1/2 a quart of oil in it every time
I filled the gas tank ...

... but, that's why I like
hanging out with air-plane
guys ... their motos are
generally awesome ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 08-14-2017 at 08:18 AM..
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
I guess it depends on where you're going and where the oil is leaking from. A weeping valve cover, no problem. A new oil leak-no way. That oil line could have burst, coated the rear tire and caused Reama to wreck. We would then be doing a rescue, a go fund me and lots of prayers for a speedy recovery.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: '03 DR650, 09 DR650 w/ RMZ450 front end, 2009 FZ1, 2019 KTM 790 ADV S, 89 Transalp
Keep in mind it appeared to be really small before I arrived at rally check in.

And my wee strom was not ready to go. It needs new tires. Desperately.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
doc4216
Coastie who high fives

AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
Reama, I think you have one of greatest group of friends I have ever heard about. You have peeps everywhere!

Your cup runneth over, my friend.

Still super sad I missed this rally but happy to hear you got some quality time to yourself and with friends.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Roadside Angel Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Reama, I think you have one of greatest group of friends I have ever heard about. You have peeps everywhere!

Your cup runneth over, my friend.

Still super sad I missed this rally but happy to hear you got some quality time to yourself and with friends.

I am sad you didn't get to come. How is Lulu doing? I will be in Alameda this weekend. Let's hang out.

And yes, my cup runneth over with amazing, wonderful, helpful moto peeps. I consider myself very fortunate.

Edit: I do question their sanity, though.
IBA #66001

R3 alone

Last edited by two wheel tramp; 08-14-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Roadside Angel Alumni

5 August 2017

I woke up late. I'd had so much fun my first night that I didn't get an early start. I was supposed to lead a group ride but people had sorted into groups and made their own plans so I decided to do a smaller ride and spend some quality time with the folks who had come to the rally. This turned out to be a solid plan.

My friend Matt (Oobus) and I decided to ride to Hyampom for pie. It's a short ride. We went to gas up before our ride and my rear tire felt a little soft. I went to put air in and the compressor wasn't working and all the tire did was lose air. Ugh. I walked it over the the gas station next door, put air in, rode 20 feet and my tire was now completely flat.

Fortunately we were right next door to the hotel so this was just a small annoyance. I wheeled the bike onto the hotel lawn. As a sophisticated lady, I really know how to class up a joint.

As I wheeled the bike onto the lawn Oobus told me there was a place in town where he could get another tube. I had brought a 21" front tube which can be used in a pinch (flat. teehee) front or rear. Matt decided to go grab a tube that was the right size so I could save my other tube for a real emergency. My friend Trey had been relaxing on the lawn and immediately sprang into action. As in, I didn't even have a chance to unwrap my tool roll before he got excited and started fixing things. We got her on the trail stand. The hotel owner came out with two HUGE tire irons and we got to work. Shortly thereafter my bike was operational again. Oobus had already departed to do his thing. So I hung out a bit, grabbed lunch and then headed down HWY 3 to Red Bluff to meet another rider who was headed to the rally.

Because I am a dumbass I arrived very, very late to our meet point. There's no reception where I was riding and my riding buddy was rightfully steaming mad when I arrived. I felt like an asshole (still do). But there wasn't much I could do other than apologize and get us back on the road. Off we went.

At my patiently waiting buddy's suggestion I had ridden Hwy 3 to Wildwood to 36 and we took that road back as well. I had told him at the meeting point that I would want to stop and take a quick dip in the creek. Here I am in all my goofy glory. I really didn't stop to take photos on the way there because I was late and by the time we were heading back I had a BBQ to get organized! But there is always time for splashy times. Always.

Back at the hotel people had returned from their rides. John was busy with his margarita machine and everyone looked pretty darn happy. BBQ showed up and we chowed down. Extra meat was requested. The lady from the BBQ place was SUPER helpful. The innkeeper came out and ate with us. Then Budman handed out some awards to some cool and deserving folks. Here's a photo I stole from a friend of us hanging out at dinner time. Thanks HoHo!

Another shamelessly stolen group shot. Thanks HoHo!

After it seemed like everyone had headed to their rooms to sleep FreeRyde and his friend arrived around 10:30 or so. (I am drawing a blank on Nick's screen name). They polished off the last of the BBQ, told us tales of their adventures and then they headed to bed as well. Saturday at the rally was a great success. Tomorrow held more good riding but hopefully no more bike issues. Ha!
IBA #66001

R3 alone

Last edited by two wheel tramp; 08-14-2017 at 09:19 AM..
Old 08-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), KTM 525 (Plated), KTM 990 Adventure, Husky TE300, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by two wheel tramp View Post
I am sad you didn't get to come. How is Lulu doing? I will be in Alameda this weekend. Let's hang out.

And yes, my cup runneth over with amazing, wonderful, helpful moto peeps. I consider myself very fortunate.

Edit: I do question their sanity, though.
Hey, If we were all fully sane, we wouldn't be any fun!

I'm glad Eric sorted your oil line and you made it up before dark.

Thanks again for putting the rally together! I think I had the best time of my life riding up there!
Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #13
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Roadside Angel Alumni

Honestly Tom, it was totally my pleasure. Thanks for coming. I'm glad you had a good ride.

oh! I forgot to mention something that happened in the ride back from Red Bluff. Going north on 3 it began raining even though the sky appeared clear. Great big fat drops were falling and the road appeared coated in rainbows because of the still shining sun. Over to my right the valley was filled with rainbows. It was one of the most beautiful, magical things I have ever seen.
IBA #66001

R3 alone

Last edited by two wheel tramp; 08-14-2017 at 09:14 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
two wheel tramp
exploring!

AMA #2771957
Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Roadside Angel Alumni

6 August 2017

Most of the folks at the rally depart and head home today. I hug a few friends who are departing and get myself ready for a rather long ride. I'm heading over towards the town of Cave Junction today to grab a bite to eat at Taylor's Sausage. It's a fun ride and you can go a few different routes to get there depending how much time you have, fuel range and what you want to ride (sweepers, goaty stuff, etc)

There were wildfires burning near Sawyer's Bar so I decided to take an easy route to CJ. I headed north on Highway 3 to Etna, gassed up, check my odometer (no fuel gauge) and took a quick picture to send to the previous owner of the bike.

For today I have decided to ride the (hopefully) less smokey route from Etna to Scott Bar, which runs along a river. I seem to love river roads. Scott Bar has no center line but is two lanes wide most of the way. Coming from the East you see a few houses then Forest Service Parks. You pass a resort, a few more houses and then the 'town' of Scott Bar, which as a community center, a darling little post office and a cluster of homes. It ends at 96 where I took a left to head west toward Happy Camp.

Here's a photo of the post office. This photo is from a Google search. I always mean to stop and take a picture of the cute little post offices I see but never do.

In Happy Camp I took a right turn onto Indian Creek, which becomes Grayback Road before dropping into Four Corners in Takilma. Here's a screen shot of the map. This is a wonderful two lane road that climbs up near 4,800 feet in elevation at its summit. It is the sort of road that would be fun on any style of motorcycle. It's got good sightlines in many spots, lovely scenery and so much greenery when I rode through. As you can see from this image below it has plenty of twists and turns to keep things interesting.

I took a right at Four Corners towards Holland Loop Road and into town. I stopped at Taylor's and sure enough the parking lot had several motorcycles parked outside. It is Southern Oregon's answer to Alice's in the Bay Area. Lunch over, I gassed up. Note to other riders, the Chevron in Cave Junction sells two stroke oil should you ever need some in a pinch. I headed over Grayback again and stopped in Happy Camp for a much needed ice cream.

Well, maybe not needed but I wanted it. So there. Double J Sports & Spirits sells soft serve ice cream and a swirl cone sounded like just the thing. While there I asked the clerk about conditions at Forks of Salmon and Cecilville-Callahan. She said it was pretty smoky so I returned the same way that I came. I stopped in Etna to top off my gas tank and found that their pumps had been shut off by a brief electrical hiccup caused by a storm. Riding back I was rained on and found hail piled like snow on the side of the roads. Talk about fun. This was my second day in a row of being rained on while riding HWY 3.

When I returned to Weaverville it was so nice to see a few faces still there. We wandered over to dinner to enjoy our last night in Weaverville. The end of a rally is always a bit sad for the organizer. Chill and I have concluded post rally blues are a very real thing and the only cure is another rally.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 AM   #15
poach
seeking balance

Motorcycles: Moto what???
Name:
I've been fiending hard for some nor-cal goodness lately, and this rain-out-of-blue-sky-valley-fulla-rainbows stuff just put me over the edge.

Thx for a boot in the backside.