BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Name: Bill
A Pacific Coast ride, CB-1 style

Part 1-

With dry weather, moderate temps and a recently new-to-me bike I decided an overnight coast loop was in order.

Link to Google map of part 1

After last minute prep the bike was well sorted and ready to head out Tuesday morning.

I take Hwy 128 past Lake Hennessey and on over to Geyserville, past vineyards ablaze with mustard blooms.

Grabbing a sandwich to go, I eagerly head for the incomparable Skaggs Springs Rd., 34 miles of riding pleasure that would take me to the Pacific Coast. The road constantly weaves its way up to ridge tops, then down into deep canyons then repeats over and over again. Floating along the roller coaster path it occurs to me this is like dancing (or what I imagine it must be for those who can dance well!), the bike is my partner and the road provides the music and tempo. CB-1 and I both seem perfectly in sync with the rhythm of the road.

About half way along the tempo changes as the road narrows and the pavement gets a bit funky. Time to tighten up our moves and stay nimble.

At the next ridge top it's intermission, time for lunch. I enjoy my sandwich in total quiet, not another person or vehicle in sight and with spectacular views in every direction.

After 28 miles, this sign announces there have been 445 curves so far. I wasn't counting but there had to have been at least that many, and every one was fun!

Then this sign tells me I have 189 more to look forward to before reaching the coast.

With only 9 miles to go the air is cooler and the redwood forest more dense. I savor the last of this dance right to the end.

I roll down to Stewarts Point and my first glimpse of the ocean.

-Bill

Continued....
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
A Pacific Coast Ride, CB-1 style cont'd.

Map of second half of route:

Google maps link

The coast is sunny and warm as I head north on Hwy 1.

In the early 1800s the Russians established outposts along the northern California coast, and this was the inspiration for the architecture style of the handsome St. Orres restaurant above Gualala. Friends worked on its construction back in the 1970s so I always give it a good look when passing by.

A bit further north I head up a steep driveway for a visit and overnight stay with my brother Frank. We have a great time catching up, and Frank whips up a gourmet meal which we wash down with a bit of wine. Thanks hermano, you run one hell of a B&B!

To the faint sound of sea lions barking in the distance, I fall into a cozy bed and drift off to sleep, dreaming of tomorrow's adventures.

Next morning under overcast skies the sea is once again calm. Spots of blue sky promise sunshine ahead. I meander north along the coast taking in the sights. To me there is something profound about standing on the very edge of the continent and staring at the ocean. Is it the mystery of what's under the surface? Or its vastness? Or just the fact that the change from land to water is so sudden? Whatever, living inland as I do it always feels good to sit and stare for a bit when I have the privelege.

Man cannot ride a motorcycle on sentiment alone, so past the little town of Point Arena I stop for a hearty breakfast at the Rollerville Cafe., apparently the closest mainland cafe to Hawaii, who knew?

After breakfast my CB-1 partner and I follow the Pacific Coast Highway north before turning inland. It's a graceful, flowing slow dance....

....punctuated by occasional uptempo sections....

....and it's all dramatically scenic. This is what's called living on the edge -

At the tiny town of Elk I turn inland on Philo-Greenwood Road and say goodbye to the ocean in the rear view mirror.

Part 3 coming up next,

-Bill

Last edited by GB500guy; 02-15-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Old 02-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

A Pacific Coast Ride, CB-1 style cont'd

Part 3 -
Philo-Greenwood is 18 miles of rough pavement, tight turns, and once again constant climbing to sunny ridge tops with apple orchards and dropping into damp Redwood shaded canyons. It's a fine ride. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.

Reaching Hwy 128 I head south a few miles to Boonville and turn onto Hwy 253, Boonville Ukiah Road. This piece of asphalt perfection is a real treat: smooth, scenic, climbing to a high ridge then suddenly delivering a long twisty downhill ending at Hwy 101. First the climb out of Boonville....

And the ridge top twisties....

I ride 101 south to Hopland and lunch at the Bluebird cafe. Always good food and funky decor.

After lunch it's time to head for home, starting with another all time great road, Hwy 175 to Middletown. Climbing up and away from Hopland I leave the Anderson Valley behind.

Cresting the summit I'm treated to a panorama of Clear Lake and Mt. Konocti before a steep drop down to Lakeport.

Heading on toward Middletown I take a side loop on Bottle Rock Road, so named because of the abundance of obsidian along parts of the roadside, those black rocks in the right of this shot. Back lit by the sun, it twinkles like stars as I ride past.

On the home stretch, I follow Butts Canyon and Pope Valley back to 128.

A fine handling bike, great weather, great roads, and little to no traffic has me practically bursting with moto joy as I finally pull my dance partner back into the shop. Life is good.

-Bill
Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
God Damn I miss California
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
OldBlade
Cupid Stunt

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '93 CBR900RR
Name: James
Very nice Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Your ride reports are always the best!
Abacinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
WoW. I need to live closer to the north coast. Great trip report.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Nice what a pretty bike
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
DTM74
It's not my fault...

Contributor +++++++++1%
Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Seven-Oh-One, Supah Dook
Name: Dan
Always enjoy your ride reports!
DTM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
Map8
I want nothing

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR
Name: Steve
Thats my most favorite loop to ride ever. Haven't done it for years. Thanks for the reminder.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
Grissom

Motorcycles: Suzuki's & Harley
Name:
Ditto...

Ride reports and photos never disappoint

Last edited by Grissom; 02-15-2018 at 08:21 PM..
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
Pking
Humble Rider

Motorcycles: Suzuki 1250FA
Name: Pat
Awesome Sir!
Pking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
Bout 300 miles total? What a nice little cobweb burner on a lovely bike.
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor + +

Many thanks everyone, so glad you enjoyed tagging along. I sure enjoyed the chance to really get to know the bike over so many twists and turns.

-Bill
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
gixxerkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2005 Gixxer 600
Name:
Holy incredible camera! Great photos! Thanks for the awesome read as well!