Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
HadesOmega Dirtbike ADV 2019 Rubicon+ moar!

Alright here it is HadesOmega's Dirtbike ADV 2019 trip. I'm too poor this year to go travelling off to some country to ride and I've been racing quite a bit. I just raced the Coyote Creek Sprint Enduro and the next weekend is the Donner Harescramble. I thought about trying to compete in it but more $$$, so why not just go ride the Rubicon trail for free! So on a whim almost I decided let's ride the Rubicon on dirtbikes. A number of years ago I rode 2/3rds of the Rubicon on the CactusPuncher DR650. I've always wanted to go back and do it on a smaller bike a dirtbike!

So also I got a new dirtbike this year. Well a dirty moped electric type bike the small but mighty Sur Ron Light Bee. I also recently installed a bore upgrade kit on my KLX140L making it a KLX170L. The Light Bee sounded more appealing to ride though because here are the benefits:
- no jetting, no fuel injection, same power at sea level to 7000ft where we're going
- It's lightweight 125lbs, if I get into trouble I can just walk or drag the bike, easy to pick up
- 60tooth rear sprocket TORQUE and lots of it from 0 RPM, in fact too much torque no enough traction haha
- It's quiet more peaceful out on those trails
- It's plated so I can do some dualsport action
- It's got lights so i can ride it at night if I need to
- No stalling no shutting off the engine
- no clutch to burnup
- No warming up, in a way it does need to be warmed up but no like a ICE bike

Problems:
- Range...
- Where to charge (I bought a 2000watt generator)

Anyway all I can say is I'm glad I bought this and glad I brought it along because it was so much fun to ride out on the rocks. I ran in some people along the way and it always strikes up a conversation too. I got to educate a lot of people on it.

So here's what I had planned:
First I would ride from Loon Lake the most famous trailhead of the Rubicon and the most difficult. This is the slick rock and rock crawling stuff of legends. Ride as far as we can go on the Light Bee and turn around. I also planned to try to ride the whole thing from Loon Lake to Tahoe on the KLX but after riding the Light Bee I said forget that!

Second I would setup camp at Airport Flats and Ride the Old Rubicon Trail up to Wentworth Springs, then continue on to the Loon Lake intersection then turn around.

Third I wanted to ride to Bunker Hill. On the DR650 I rode to Bunker Hill which is a fire lookout on the backside of Hell Hole Reservoir. Since it's a fire lookout it has a 360 degree view of the forest. Really good stuff.

4th... Ok so I didn't plan to but I just said F'it let's just do it. Drive to Tahoma which is the west side of Lake Tahoe and ride the Rubicon from the Trailhead there.

5th is ride the Deer Valley 4x4 Trail which is on HWY 4 Ebbet's Pass. Someone told me about this one and I looked it up and looked fun. Spoiler alert IT'S HELLA challenging!

6th 10 miles down the road is the Slick Rock Road trail. Setup camp there and ride it. then that's it go home.

So why go now? Well I was running out of time. It get's really cold in the Sierras and they start closing passes and campgrounds. Mid October was when they start closing everything down. Temps were no that bad though. It was 60-70F in the day and 30-40F at night. One night was like 15F thought O_o'. I don't know why but Merlin always camps when it's cold haha if you can think back to my CABDR adventure yeah...

So here it is this is all the Rubicon riding I did. SPOILER alert I rode like 90% of the Rubicon. The only section I didn't ride was the Cadillac Hill to Big Sluice section.

So here it is my command center my old 1991 Toyota Previa 5-speed battlevan towing my old Harbor Freight Trailer with the dual chock setup. I left on October 16 I would have left sooner but I was still sore after the Coyote Creek Sprint Enduro.

Camping supplies and gear. I brought 2 sleeping bags just in case and it's good that I did. I don't have to worry much about space like I do when I adventure ride Notice the 2000watt generator in the back. I just bought this last week. I paid $250 for this $900 generator. It has a Yamaha motor also! The owner said it's been sitting for a year and won't start. So I did a tune up on it took it apart a bit. Then I found out there's not enough oil in it haha. It has a low oil shutoff feature. Filled it up with oil and it ran fine. I used it during the Coyote Creek Enduro. So this is how I would be charging my Light Bee. It's not very eco friendly but hey gotta charge it somehow. It's nice having a generator for camping too I can cook with it.

And so HadesOmega Dirtbike ADV 2019 begins...

Last edited by HadesOmega; 10-25-2019 at 09:40 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

200+ miles later here we are at the famous Loon Lake Rubicon Trail staging area! The drive wasn't too bad. Not much traffic as I was going against commute traffic. Filled up with gas once. The road in from 50 Ice House Road is about 30 miles, long drive up a twisty road. Very peaceful out here this time of year! There are tons of places to explore up here too no just the Rubicon. I got there around 1700, the sun sets around 1900 and it gets much colder.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Day 0 VLOG

youtu.be/hIoHzAzLE0g
Old 10-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Alright it's the morning. It was actually not that cold last night however it did start raining at 0500. I was like oh hell no. Fortunately it stopped but everything is damp. =/ So them slickrocks are gonna be slick if your tires are well as I'll find out soon. Eat some breakfast and put my gear on and we're ready to ride. First thing I do is ride up to the dam and take picture of Loon Lake. Kinda dark still so pictures didn't turn out so good.

Picture of Staging Area

Picture at the sign check it out compared to the last time I was here in the DR650

Selfie

Last edited by HadesOmega; 10-24-2019 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

And we're off! Round the corner and go ride up and you are greeted by SLICKROCK! Not many places you can ride on this stuff! I do know of one place but it hundreds of miles away from here.

Another comparison shot with the DR650 vs Light Bee

Another selfie

Really nice views out here on the slick rock. This is right after the Gatekeeper.

This is on the Granite Bowl, huge probably largest slickrock section on the Rubicon.

Notice the reflector near the right footpeg in this picture this is how you can stay on the trail on the Rubicon. It's VERY easy to get lost and get off trail.

More pictures from Granite Bowl

Old 10-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Light Bee vs Rubicon Trail 1 - The Gatekeeper

youtu.be/KbHKkak6SiA
Old 10-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Light Bee vs Rubicon Trail 2 - Granite Bowl

youtu.be/HKX2Oop-5ps
Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

We've made it to a significant marker. This is the intersection between Loon Lake and Wentworth Springs. If you continue on it will take us to Tahoe!

The Fork

This goes to Wentworth Springs

This is where we came from Loon Lake

This goes to Tahoma

Selfie of course
Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Not Sure
I like money.

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: 20' 350 xcf-w, 97 yzf600r, 93 cr250, 68 hodaka ace 100
Name: Drew
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
MotoJP46
2wheel Junkie

AMA #2919073

Motorcycles: 2000 CR250R
Name: JP
Way to go, that’s awesome. I bet it was a blast too!
05 R6 (totalled in 07)
MotoJP46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #11
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Rubicon Trail seems perfect for the electric moto ... looking forward to hearing if there were any range issues.
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

This is the Ellis Creek Bridge. Not too far from the intersection you will find this bridge. I talked to some old jeepers that have been driving this trail for a long time and they said some things have changed with the trail and this is one of them. They built this beautiful bridge here, they said there used to be no bridge it was a watercrossing, there was no toilet also.

First down!!! This one I jumped a rock and I didn't jump or wheelie high enough and the front hung up on this rock on the landing and down me and the Light Bee went. Wheeliee for safety!

So the struggle is starting to get real at this point it's just ledge hopping rock hopping trials stuff from here on out. This is around Walker Hill.

Taking a break at the Soup Kitchen

I saw these dudes having fun in this clean Toyota 4Runner. They were really curious about my bike, I educated them. These were the only people I saw while I was out on the trail. It's good that someone saw me though so someone knows I'm out here alone.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Light Bee vs Rubicon Trail 3 - Walker Hill

youtu.be/9aAVKKcrM3k
Old 10-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Such an epic place to do you business! The bathrooms along the way make good markers also.

This is at Winter Camp

At Winter Camp is this looong talus rockbed YEEHAW!

Rocky is an understatement

This is the $1000 Hill, got a nice picnic bench to rest your wearing body on. Look at that tall tree all by itself. It's amazing how these grow out here on the rocks!

A little further is Arnold's Rock. It has it's own bathroom and an amazing view of the valley!

See I didn't lie about the amazing views, the sky is blue now also just a perfect view on the Rubicon.

Make sure you take your camera with you

So you're wonder what's in these outhouses? Well it's a port o john!

Old 10-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Light Bee vs. Rubicon Trail 4 - Little Sluice

youtu.be/115CaDkgXLs