Old 11-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Yamaha!
Name:
1983 Yamaha XV920 Tour Deluxe

Here's a great bike for the open road rider. Are you a:
- Vintage Japanese motorcycle collector?
- Virago or vintage Yamaha collector?
- Vintage touring enthusiast?
- Touring enthusiast on a budget?
Today's your lucky day. This is a factory touring version of the 1983 Yamaha XV920 Virago with some tasteful and performance enhancing upgrades. Here we go:
- Reduced: $2800
- 36.5k miles. Very clean, runs like a top.
- Clean title in hand, registration good through November, 2020 (just paid).
- New starter and new idler gear. It still sounds like a "box of rocks" like is should and it fires right up every time.
- XV920R fuel tank which looks way better than stock. This thing is worth $$$ by itself (look it up). New petcocks, fuel line and inline filters.
- The stock brakes on this bike were essentially for aesthetics only. Single wacky caliper with angled pads that just never worked right. So, I replaced the entire front end with one from a 1982 XJ750J Maxim. I had the forks fully refreshed, I completely cleaned and rebuild both calipers with new seals, I built brand new custom stainless braided brake lines, and I installed a freshly rebuilt front master cylinder from a 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale. New pads too of course. Holy cow what a difference! Bonus: The new XJ front end has both adjustable forks (air and clickers) and adjustable bars.
- With a wholly upgraded front end, the nasty stock rear shock needed replacing too so on went a brand new Hagon M62062 shock from England. Handling is now really amazing compared to stock. Lots of adjustability both front and back for either single rider twisties or 2-up fully loaded touring.
- Tires are a few years old but lots of tread left.
- All touring bags are in amazing shape both mechanically and aesthetically. Fully removable for overnight stays in hotels. I'm not the original owner of this bike but it has spent many years being babied and it shows.
- The original cassette stereo was shot so I replaced that with a nice hidden bluetooth amp and two tasteful speakers on the fairing. Sounds great when standing still but hard to hear when riding at freeway speeds. I also added a nice phone holder with integrated USB charging.

All ABS is in surprisingly great shape. The top of the tank has some scuffs but nothing crazy. I got this bike as a loaner for friends in case we ever wanted to go on a street ride but that doesn't seem to be happening too often so out it goes. Price is fairly firm and I can possibly include the original parts but certainly not at a huge discount. This is a rider's bike and would make a great addition to anyone's collection. Available now in West Sacramento.

Get on our email list here.

Yamaha | CTRacing/Pirelli | Cycle Gear | Suomy | PCP Motorsports | Motion Pro | RacerGloves | Tech Spec | Pit Bull | Optimal Bodywork | Law Tigers

Last edited by dbenj; 06-24-2020 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: lower price
dbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
What are the bags and fairing from? I don't recall them being offered on the xv920 back in the day.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
What are the bags and fairing from? I don't recall them being offered on the xv920 back in the day.
Hey MM. The "Tour Deluxe Accessory Package" was available through the dealer for either the 750 or the 920. Check out this page from CycleWorld, 1985.

Retro fab!

--David

Yamaha | CTRacing/Pirelli | Cycle Gear | Suomy | PCP Motorsports | Motion Pro | RacerGloves | Tech Spec | Pit Bull | Optimal Bodywork | Law Tigers
Old 11-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Gabe
Covfefe

AMA #: 1006675
Founding Member
Contributor +++++3%

Motorcycles: EBR 1190SX what was I thinking Edition
Name: Gabe
Can I pay you $10 to come over to your house, drop acid and just sit in your garage and stare at your bike for 12 hours?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Can I pay you $10 to come over to your house, drop acid and just sit in your garage and stare at your bike for 12 hours?
Acid stares are $2/hour Gabe. BUT, think how great it would be to drop acid and then ride it home. Lucy in the sky with Yamaha!

--David

Old 11-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), JD 110, Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, 550, Super 66
Name:
Every time I see a bike with a Windjammer or Vetter-like fairing I can only think of Purple Rain.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
Every time I see a bike with a Windjammer or Vetter-like fairing I can only think of Purple Rain.
Holy Crap! It's the spittin' flippin' image!

Old 11-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Gabe
Covfefe

AMA #: 1006675
Founding Member
Contributor +++++3%

Motorcycles: EBR 1190SX what was I thinking Edition
Name: Gabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenj View Post
Acid stares are $2/hour Gabe. BUT, think how great it would be to drop acid and then ride it home. Lucy in the sky with Yamaha!

--David
Been there, done that. It's okay until you're waiting at a stoplight and the handlebars start melting. And then you're trying to pick a parking space and you can't make a decision because they're all so good and who are you to judge which is best?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Name:
Happy New Year all. Found these fairing extensions in the garage. They block wind from your knees:

You can see them installed on this bike:

BARF price drop to $3k too but that's pretty much the bottom.

--David

Old 02-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Name:
By some weird cosmic anomaly, this bike is still available! Maybe we drop the price to $3,000 but given the pedigree of this bike (Prince's old bike...just look at the picture), I don't think I can go much lower.

--David

Old 06-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Name:
Turns out I can go a bit lower. $2800.

I just rode it a week or two ago and it's really fun so I'm fine with keeping it too. I just need to find more garage space...

--David