• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Update on Jay "smileygo"

Maddevill

KNGKAW
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Location
Hayward
Moto(s)
ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name
Steve
BARF perks
AMA #: 542337
This is the latest on Jay who suffered a traumatic brain injury after being hit by a bicycle while in Japan. He rides a ZX14.

Hello Steve,




We are halfway through our stay in Japan and I would like to update you on how Jay is doing.




When we arrived 3 weeks ago, he did not recognize us. He just gave us a cold stare. Kids were very disappointed about it and so was I. He could not move,

talk, eat, sit up nor stand. But after 3 weeks now, we are seeing improvements.

He is gradually getting stronger. He can sit for 3min without support. He can stand for 3 min or so with help from a machine or therapist. He is now re-learning to chew and swallow by eating jello and drinking tea. He can hold a cup in his left hand and slowly drink tea by himself. ( he can finish 200ml of tea in 20min. )

We are seeing facial expressions as well. He smiles sometimes. Although he does not understand language and cannot communicate ( cannot speak or follow commands ) there are moments when we think he is understanding some of our conversations. He smiled at one of the jokes kids and I were telling each other. He smiled when a nurse bumped herself on the edge of the bed and cried in agony. ( How mean. LOL ) He smiles when we arrive at his bedside. Just this week, he started nodding to some of our questions and comments. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 questions we ask . ( he does not shake his head yet though. ) We get excited when we can share smiles. It motivates us greatly and I believe it is the same for Jay too. With the responses we get from him, we are enjoying the visits much more. Rehab. Therapists do great job on him everyday. Although the progress is slow, we are hoping to see more improvements before we return to US.

All these improvements are supported by your thoughts and prayers.

Also from the support from the members of BARF.

I feel very lucky to have so many people praying for him.

And please extend my appreciating to the members and friends of BARF.

I would like to keep you updated, and will e-mail you again.

Thank you Steve!

Kay.
 
Hey Steve, have you had any updates on Jay? I was thinking of this thread a couple of weeks ago. Brain Injuries are tough on everybody.
 
I missed this. Man.

I hope he is doing way better.
 
Hi all. News is that progress is very slow. He talks little, can eat on his own now, walks with assistance. Kay is bringing him home to continue therapy over here. I think he may be home now or will be soon. Kay doesn't know if Jay knows who she or his kids are or just smiles because he likes them to visit. So it looks like a very long road for the family. Possible Jays brain injury may be too great for a complete recovery. I'll get in touch with Kay and let you all know.

Mad
 
Thanks for the update. Hope Jay recovers.
 
Hey Mad,

Any good news to share... Hoping to hear some.
 
Jay is now in Bakersfield at a long term care facitility. He remains unable to speak English, a bit of Japanese. Unknown whether he knows his family. Walks with assistance. I'll be going over to his house to look over his ZX14 for Kay in the near future.

Mad
 
Thanks for the update. Hope Jay improves, life is fragile and we should enjoy what we have.
 
Wow Mad... sorry to hear this is still such a challenge.
 
Ok here's the latest from his wife, Kay.
Jay is now home. Not much improvement. He has Global Aphasia. He has limited mobility, memory loss, some issues with moods. Needs a wheelchair. Kay currently has in home assistance for him from 6am to 9 pm. Sad as it is, I don't think Jay will ever fully recover from this.
Everybody remember to appreciate what you have. It can be gone with no warning.

Mad
 
Oh wow, poor Jay and his family. That's the equivillent of being locked in prison with no means of escape.

This is something they are doing a lot of research over at UCSF.

Thanks for the update.
 
............
Everybody remember to appreciate what you have. It can be gone with no warning.

Mad

Steve this is so true. Thank you for the update. Please tell Kay there are many people thinking about Jay and her.


Bill
 
Back
Top