• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Yep, There is NO way I could have just stood there and watched. Ida been down at the entrance to the last corner before the water standing in the middle of the road if necessary to slow guys down.

The route itself will beat you up enough without the extra thrashing of another fall.

I just thought of Knoxville/Berryessa Rd first thing when I saw it.
 
I can't go on Sunday, but I might be able to ride on Saturday, if anyone wants to do some exploring around Knoxville.
 
So the lesson is only 1 in 10 pro riders can survive a water crossing? Doesn't bode well for me. :D
 
No worries !

I believe all the water crossings are still bone dry.....odd year
 
That wasn't as much of a water crossing as it was a slick sheet of slippery water over a hard surface in a corner... Looked pretty brutal!
 
My bet is on some type of algea growth on the concrete itself.....just like K/B Road.

A few years ago I was riding this section and thought I'd stop and take a photo of the bike in the water.

Stopped the bike, put the stand down, got off and promptly fell right on my ass....just like being on a ice rink without skates. When I got up there was a nice layer of green stuff all over one side. Smelled interesting when it began to dry on the ride home.

IMG_0151-1.jpg
 
My bet is on some type of algea growth on the concrete itself.....just like K/B Road.

A few years ago I was riding this section and thought I'd stop and take a photo of the bike in the water.

Stopped the bike, put the stand down, got off and promptly fell right on my ass....just like being on a ice rink without skates. When I got up there was a nice layer of green stuff all over one side. Smelled interesting when it began to dry on the ride home.

IMG_0151-1.jpg

Nice lookin bike! :thumbup
 
As much as I like the KTMs....I woudn't let my bike go.

After years of tweaking I've finally got it Juuuuust Right.

Gonna try tomorrow afternoon for a recee of the Rayhouse gate and condition of possible work-arounds. Been trying to pry myself away from the Dakar but stuff keep happening rather quickly and I'm finding it difficult to step away from the screen(s).
 
Last edited:
Guys I did the ride from Fairfield to where Hwy 16 and 20 meet not much of an adventure ride.... what am I missing?

Does not anyone take the dirt/gravel roads that are north of 16/20 into Stony and over to Middle Creek or Lake Pillsbury ? This could be done on either Adventure type bikes or small dual sports. Last time I did this we staged out of Cowboy Camp...
 
Maybe your definition of an adventure ride involves more difficult terrain ??

Gravel north off 20 is fun. Long straights with a few 90 deg curves. You can go up past Indian Valley Res. and come out on the east side of Clear Lake.


Here's Indian Valley last spring...when there was water.

IMG_0546.jpg
 
Maybe your definition of an adventure ride involves more difficult terrain ??

Gravel north off 20 is fun. Long straights with a few 90 deg curves. You can go up past Indian Valley Res. and come out on the east side of Clear Lake.

Yes I half expected something to spin the tires up in and get dusty :)

We more than likely took the same track as you because that's about the same places we went...

Good looking bike.... my TDM not so much :) Heres mine from the ride over HWY 36 last weekend 1/4/2014
 

Attachments

  • Hwy 36.jpg
    Hwy 36.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Did you get off the pavement on Rayhouse?? Otherwise Berryessa/Knoxville is just a nice one-lane pavement ride. Rayhouse should give you plenty of opportunity to get dusty.

36 looks like it was tippy-toe around the shady corners type of ride. Sad cause 36 is fun when dry and warm.

TDMs are another hugely underrated bike. That 18 on the front can be a bit of a problem finding good tires, no?
 
Last edited:
I used to hate trying to find tires for my Cagiva Elefant. It was a great bike that served me well for just under a quarter of a million miles, though. I shall always have a soft spot in my heart for that beast.
 
Did you get off the pavement on Rayhouse?? Otherwise Berryessa/Knoxville is just a nice one-lane pavement ride. Rayhouse should give you plenty of opportunity to get dusty.

36 looks like it was tippy-toe around the shady corners type of ride. Sad cause 36 is fun when dry and warm.

TDMs are another hugely underrated bike. That 18 on the front can be a bit of a problem finding good tires, no?

We didn't take the cut off that take you over to the casino I think its Rieff Rd, we wanted to be in Red Bluff before dark which we did make if you call 6 o'clock before dark :)

Yes 36 offered it challenges, the 1st 1/2 of the ride was Sunny, and as you can see the last 1/3 was wet....

I have purchased 2 front tires in the past with no problem, I don't have any sort of knobby on it at all just a street tire.

If there is any interest maybe do a DS/Adventure type outing out of CowBoy Camp off 16 one of these weekends. There is plenty of tracks/routes to take to make a weekend out of it.....
 
We didn't take the cut off that take you over to the casino I think its Rieff Rd, we wanted to be in Red Bluff before dark which we did make if you call 6 o'clock before dark :)

Yes 36 offered it challenges, the 1st 1/2 of the ride was Sunny, and as you can see the last 1/3 was wet....

I have purchased 2 front tires in the past with no problem, I don't have any sort of knobby on it at all just a street tire.

If there is any interest maybe do a DS/Adventure type outing out of CowBoy Camp off 16 one of these weekends. There is plenty of tracks/routes to take to make a weekend out of it.....

Rieff is the main reason to head up there if you want dual sport. There are also a lot of enduro trails that get as difficult as you want in the knoxville area that you can include in the ride.
 
having trouble finding out/undertaning if anyone is doing the: ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd. ride, Sun if so I would like to meet up /w u @ 2nd point Knoxville go to 16 then return to knoxville
 
Back
Top