N4teTheGreat
FknN8
- Joined
- Dec 5, 2009
- Location
- San Francisco
- Moto(s)
- 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2008 KTM 950 SM
- Name
- Nathan
As a kid my grandpa would built custom homes would hire me here and there to walk around the job site with a wheelbarrow cleaning up all the trash, he didn't like his sites looking messy. My other grandpa would hire me to do landscaping work. In both cases it was just a way to give me money without just spoiling me. The home builder grandpa certainly enjoyed showing me around the houses he was building and introducing me to everyone on the job site, that was pretty cool.
I think I was 13 or so when I got my CPR certification and started babysitting here and there. My parents would whore me out to friends who needed a night out away from the kids, easy work, but kinda boring once everyone was in bed.
Around 14 we'd moved to a new area that had a local flyer they helped list me for odd jobs, I'd mow lawns or whatever needed doing. Learned how to operate a chainsaw that way, I got all of 5 minutes of instruction and then went to it, cutting up a bunch of old logs that had bee used for landscaping so they could be disposed of, the digging out the beds for whatever was going in.
Eventually got a steady gig with a local gal who ran an escrow business out of her house. I'd mow her lawn, help with organizing files, clean out the garage, feed and clean all the birds (she also bred cockateels (those fuckers were mean and I got bit frequently). Id also walk her morbidly obese lapdog that probably also had breathing issues. She smoked constantly and the whole house was thicker with smoke than any casino or bar I've been to since. Made enough money to buy my first mountain bike. I was pretty sure I sure I was gonna be a pro racer so I told her I couldn't do inside work anymore because of the smoke but would still mow her lawns when needed. She quit smoking apparently and was trying to get me to do more work inside.
But, by then I had a job working at Einstein bagels, I'd be there to open and get off mid day. All the bagels you could eat (though they started getting stingy later which was dumb because I'd see how much they'd throw out each day). Worked with some interesting characters, managed to give myself 3rd degree burns on my feet by spilling a full coffee urn while taking it into the kitchen to wash.
A friend in high school then told me about a job a the local garden center, it paid a bit more than Einsteins so off I went. Worked that all through the school year, they had a gravel lot and a rear wheel drive flat bed golf car and we'd slide that thing around from section to section. Only peeled a tire off once, the maintenance guy wasn't stoked. He was also a cool old dude who ran his own sprinkler company. He offered me a summer job to train up on it and noted it could be a career. My dumb ass "needed to train" for my mountain bike racing career. I still regret turning him down, coulda been an interesting skill to learn, could have been a business for life.
Around then I was 17 so not really a child anymore, but I had plenty of odd jobs until I finally found my way into a bike shop.
I think I was 13 or so when I got my CPR certification and started babysitting here and there. My parents would whore me out to friends who needed a night out away from the kids, easy work, but kinda boring once everyone was in bed.
Around 14 we'd moved to a new area that had a local flyer they helped list me for odd jobs, I'd mow lawns or whatever needed doing. Learned how to operate a chainsaw that way, I got all of 5 minutes of instruction and then went to it, cutting up a bunch of old logs that had bee used for landscaping so they could be disposed of, the digging out the beds for whatever was going in.
Eventually got a steady gig with a local gal who ran an escrow business out of her house. I'd mow her lawn, help with organizing files, clean out the garage, feed and clean all the birds (she also bred cockateels (those fuckers were mean and I got bit frequently). Id also walk her morbidly obese lapdog that probably also had breathing issues. She smoked constantly and the whole house was thicker with smoke than any casino or bar I've been to since. Made enough money to buy my first mountain bike. I was pretty sure I sure I was gonna be a pro racer so I told her I couldn't do inside work anymore because of the smoke but would still mow her lawns when needed. She quit smoking apparently and was trying to get me to do more work inside.
But, by then I had a job working at Einstein bagels, I'd be there to open and get off mid day. All the bagels you could eat (though they started getting stingy later which was dumb because I'd see how much they'd throw out each day). Worked with some interesting characters, managed to give myself 3rd degree burns on my feet by spilling a full coffee urn while taking it into the kitchen to wash.
A friend in high school then told me about a job a the local garden center, it paid a bit more than Einsteins so off I went. Worked that all through the school year, they had a gravel lot and a rear wheel drive flat bed golf car and we'd slide that thing around from section to section. Only peeled a tire off once, the maintenance guy wasn't stoked. He was also a cool old dude who ran his own sprinkler company. He offered me a summer job to train up on it and noted it could be a career. My dumb ass "needed to train" for my mountain bike racing career. I still regret turning him down, coulda been an interesting skill to learn, could have been a business for life.
Around then I was 17 so not really a child anymore, but I had plenty of odd jobs until I finally found my way into a bike shop.