• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Childhood jobs - What did you have?

Started at 13 delivering the free newspaper to our village and the neighbouring villages; once a week. From 14 to 18 picked up daily newspaper rounds, two in the morning, one in the evening and five on Sundays. Held the record number of paper rounds in one day; thirteen on a Sunday, pretty much the whole village. As I would be in the paper shop by 05:30 every morning people got their newspapers early. This was apparently appreciated as the holiday tips were not small!

From 16 to 18 I also worked every other Sunday at a clay pigeon (trap) shoot. There was a bunch of us 'kids' and we had to haul the boxes of clays up into the woods at the back of the Priest House. We either operated the traps or marked the kills for the competitions. Some of the traps were surrounded with corrugated iron to stop the shot when folks were trying to shoot the clays early from the traps.

The other job I had from 16 to 18 was working on a local farm on Saturdays. A range of jobs from power washing crates, sweeping green houses, or out in the fields planting various crops on the back of tractors. One was real fun called the back breaker. There was always potential to lose a finger on that piece of equipment. The job we all dreaded was topping brussel sprouts; you rued the day when you forgot gloves.

Probably the richest I've ever been :ROFLMAO:
 
I wanted a motorcycle at age 6. Everytime my parents asked me what I wanted for christmas or my birthday my answer was a motorcycle.
I was 11 years old, heehee, old, and got asked again, a motorcycle. If you want a motorcycle, go get a job.
I left the house in my finest clothes, we was poor, and left to get a job.
I walked right out of the driveway and headed downtown Nebraska City Nebraska. Hit up every storefront trying to get a job.
"You're too young".
Went back home for lunch, then headed left out of the driveway.
2 1/2 blocks from the house, Ulbricks(sp) café. I want a job.
Mary, the owner asked me why I wanted a job.
I want a motorcycle.
Come back at 5.
Went home to change clothes and my mom asked me why I was changing clothes and where I was going.
Going to work, start at 5.
Who hired you, doing what?
Mary, at the café, I want a motorcycle.
Mom called the cafe and talked to Mary.
You hired my son?
Yes.
Why did you hire him?
He wants a motorcycle, he's motivated.
Took a bit but I bought an XR75.
That's 46 years ago now.
 
Wait… babtsitting? I think I did that too. I was entrusted for the safety of som micro sqid baby human things. Crazy.
 
Last edited:
Wait… babtsitting? I think I did that too. I was entrusted for the safety of som micro sqid baby human this. Crazy.

Yeah, I reckon we all did goofy shit for cash when we were kids. I reckon it doesn't count unless there is a legit paycheck with taxes paid and the like.
 
I knew I wanted to ride a motorcycle from a very young age.

I cut grass. I saved money at my parents dismay

I flipped burgers at McDonald’s. I got fired from McDonald’s.

I cut more grass. I got good at saving.

I did all kinds of things around multiple grocery stores.

I traded my lawnmower for a motorcycle after college.

Now I’m riding a motorcycle up the East Coast and see all these dudes cutting grass. with lawnmowers fancier than my GS.

Now I want to cut grass again.
 
Had all the normal kid jobs starting at age 6 like picking crops, mowing lawns, delivering papers etc.
Started working 5 days a week and paying taxes at age 15. First in restaurants , then moved to grocery stores at age 17 just before my senior year in high school.
My Mom was always pimping me out to the neighbors for all sorts of odd jobs if I stuck around the house too long , often doing the stuff they couldn't get their own kids to do....;)
DT
 
Influencer, YouTuber, Etsy store operator (cheap Chinese product drop ship reseller),
 
Influencer, YouTuber, Etsy store operator (cheap Chinese product drop ship reseller),
My grandkids are going to be entering the work force soon. I have higher hopes than those awesome careers. :laughing
 
My HS junior kid has his first job right now....


Shuffling golf carts at one of the local golf courses and driving the driving range ball pickup cart. He works with several of his friends, says it's super chill.
Unfortunately it comes to a close in a couple of weeks.
He REALLY likes having the spending money, I'm not sure if he will just ride out winter on his earnings or get a job and keep it coming in.
 
Oldest Granddaughter did the waitress thing. She enjoyed it and the freedom of some money as well.
She is a full time student at San Diego State.

Oldest Grandson did some umpiring and other odd shit. No bus boy stuff. He is working full time for an event company now rolling around the country and doing college as his side job.

They live together to share expenses. Hope the world is good to them as it was to me.
 
Oldest stepkid taught art to kids at a little studio. Middle stepkid worked for his dad's company. Youngest worked front desk at a care facility until she got sexually harassed by a resident. Now she's front-of-house at a patisserie, serving pastries and making fancy pants lattes.
 
Weird, never knew we needed those. Worked at Konocti Harbor's gas dock for a summer at age 15 and they never asked. Then again, being managed by The Mob has it's upsides...
For us, it was a permit that let you leave school early to work. My sister had one, I didn't because I worked after school or on weekends.
 
Summer jobs have largely disappeared for kids. Working at McDonalds, for example, was never a choice to support a family like it is now.
 
Back
Top