• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Does private equity own your vet clinic?

Jammer

Garlic is great
Joined
Dec 22, 2020
Location
Fremont
Moto(s)
Yamaha FJR1300
Wonder why your pet care is so expensive? Few vet practices are independently owned, many are corporate. Many independent vets sold out to private equity post covid.

One behemoth is Mars Corporation, https://marsveterinary.com/who-we-are/our-companies/ which owns Banfield and VCA (which itself owns many practices that are not always branded VCA after selling to them).

Check out the following link to see if your vet is on the list.
 
As much as I love dogs I just can't afford to have them anymore. My last dog cost me nearly 20k in vet fees over his 14 year life, he was a good boi, but never again
 
As much as it hurt I had to put my Vet down. :p

Thanks. Will take a look.
 
got some local awesomeness down the hill. primary vet is the owner, and the staff is amazing. lucky? you bet.
This used to be my vet. They retired when covid hit. New vet less capable but at least seems competent.
 
Being selfish, we're encouraging our vet to sell his practice and then start a new one closer to us :D

He's been approached, to be sure.

We have another, more local, vet, and he's the owner. Turns out he is a classmate of our normal vet.
 
If you want an affordable vet, gotta go to one that primarily services adjacent low income communities. The ones in nicer areas know that their customer base will pay just about anything to save doggo, and price accordingly. It's fucked but true.
 
None of my vets are on the list but my current vet owns or is in partnership with about 8 individual named clinics in the San Jose area

Having a great vet that you can trust and office staff can be a godsend when having to take care of our pets

Currently I am not very happy with our current veterinary clinic
 
I'm cynical by nature but became even more cynical about vets over the last 10 years. Veterinarians have been following the lead of our own healthcare system by practicing defensive medicine. You can't even get an ear solution from your vet without them first taking a swab of their ears and looking at it under a microscope, even though the treatment will almost certainly be the same no matter what they id the bacteria/yeast as. That's just one example but I'm sure I could think of others if I gave it more thought. Vet insurance is a scam too. For $60 a month it just gets you a 20% discount on an already overpriced services, vaccinations, or other medicine. The yearly exam that it covers is a joke too and it's main purpose seems to be to upsell you another service. You're better off putting that $60 each month into an emergency fund for your dog/cat/etc.

I brought my GSD into a orthopedic vet specialist to look at his elbows (he has elbow dysplasia). He gave me a prescription for Carprofen and charged me $235 for a month's supply. I took it on good faith he wasn't gouging me. Well, PedMed has it for about $30 for the same exact prescription. That vet is a real POS and I still need to write a Yelp review on that vet and clinic.
'
 
Their oath only allows them to do it within the constrains of the organization they are under.
 
I adore my vet, super caring, excellent staff , she and her staff always go well above and beyond for my fur babies.
Ohana Pet Hospital, Livermore

I especially love that for exams, she will sit on the floor to be at the same level as my puppers
 
Back
Top