• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

In about 8 months I will know...

Very cool man, I can only dream of sending my stuff up. Best case for me, some of my work goes into video game consoles :)

Space travel isn't new technology.

Oh, you don't have to keep that up anymore, everybody knows the first moon landing was a hoax :twofinger
 
Some buddies of mine worked at NASA a while ago and were given a project.

If one were to describe all the features this particular widget must do, you'd be all, yeah we can do that-might fit jn this room, maybe, but yeah, doable. We can do this project.

They said "good-it also has to fit in this", and they were handed a coffee can.

Weeee.

Sounds like fun :teeth

Well, given you have the time and manpower and funding to realistically attemp to tackle the challege.
 
What are the holes for!? Locking the wheels in place for transit?
So cool. You should/must be proud.
 
:thumbup

I keep thinking of Howard Wolowitz. :laughing

[youtube]PrX3EmdKtRc[/youtube]
 
What will the new Mars rover find???

-ancient-aliens.jpg
 
The holes spell out JPL in Morse code....

They sure do. :thumbup NASA didn't catch that until it was WAY to late to do anything about it. The wheels needs an asymmetry anyway. Without a way to be absolutely sure the wheels was rotating, diagnosing a problem during the mission would be difficult. Also during tests they found that dirt would accumulate inside the wheel if there was no way for it to fall out. Hence the holes. Those smart guys, and at least one woman who was a lead engineer, at JPL get the credit for the easter egg.

Thanks for the props guys. I gotta say I feel so incredibly lucky to have been able to work on this project. In 8 months time if this all goes well I will stand up on my soapbox a bit more and share my thoughts about the space program. For now I am really pulling for this to go right. So many good people poured their hearts into it with the hopes of building something special for all of mankind to benefit from. Fingers crossed we all get to learn something new!
 
Bump, I found a cool vid that shows some of what the good people at JPL go through to make this happen.

[youtube]57A8Vwt1GrY[/youtube]
 
Super freakin' cool... and a local guy of all things. You don't actually work on this stuff on our side of the hill do you Mike? Congrats and I look forward to hearing about the success in 8 months. :thumbup
 
Back
Top