• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

James Cornell update request

dewane

New member
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Location
Milpitas
Moto(s)
2016 Yamaha SR400
Hi, I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but every time the IoM rolls around I think about him. Does anybody have any health updates for James Cornell, the sidecar monkey who was severely injured in 2006? He was in Laguna Honda for years and maybe still is, but just wondering if there were any updates.

I bought a trickle charger from him back when he worked for Helimot when it was next to Jim Davis’ shop in San Jose. We discussed him riding over the hill on his Beemer to go to work. He was somebody you didn’t easily forget.

Jamescornellfund.org used to have a forum I’d check from time to time but it’s disabled now. I never did visit him, to my utter discredit.
 
Hi, I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but every time the IoM rolls around I think about him. Does anybody have any health updates for James Cornell, the sidecar monkey who was severely injured in 2006? He was in Laguna Honda for years and maybe still is, but just wondering if there were any updates.

I bought a trickle charger from him back when he worked for Helimot when it was next to Jim Davis’ shop in San Jose. We discussed him riding over the hill on his Beemer to go to work. He was somebody you didn’t easily forget.

Jamescornellfund.org used to have a forum I’d check from time to time but it’s disabled now. I never did visit him, to my utter discredit.

:thumbup

picture.php


Hi dewane,

here’s an update from the Dec 23, 2021, SFMC meeting minutes, which is that Mr James is doing OK, is medically stable, and has not had any set backs or improvements to report, and that Laguna Honda is saying that visitors may again be allowed in early 2022.

the Sheetiron works the same way for me, along with the IoM, of course, because Mr James would show up for that dual-sport ride regularly on his DR-Z. we just had a Sheetiron a few weeks ago after four years of cancellations, and he came up in that BARF thread. :ride

4268172642_c15312f253_o.jpg


Mr James seated with the finger, with his friend Mr Hall to his right, and his friend, Mr Jason, on the end to our right right, at the 2006 Sheetiron.

4268178248_c7f5a89559_o.jpg


the man himself, and his mighty DR-Z …

I’ll get the latest update from Mr Casey, Mr Hall and Mr Jason, his friends and fellow SFMC members who are trustees for his finances, I guess, and have been working with his family in AZ over the 16 years that he’s been in Laguna Honda.

COVID had a huge negative impact on visiting at Laguna Honda, but I know Mr Casey has been up to Laguna Honda recently, so I’ll get another update from them and post it here.

there’s actually some drama with Laguna Honda, which has been a god-send for Mr James since 2006, so I need to get a report on how that may impact his ongoing care, too.

thanks for posting, I know his family and fellow SFMC members are always happy to hear about how Mr James is still in the thoughts of his many, many friends! :gsxrgrl
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the update John.

Always good to find some thoughts about James.
 
Wow Mr. John, thanks very much, that was exhaustive and informative. That’s crazy about Laguna Honda, as you said, it’s literally been a lifesaver for people like James since it opened in 1866. There really isn’t another managed care facility like it. Let’s hope it stays open. - Dewane
 
Last edited:
Thanks for keeping him alive in our memories, John. What a terrible ordeal for all involved. The way our community rallies around stories like this is always heartwarming to me.
 
Thanks for the update John.

Always good to find some thoughts about James.

Wow Mr. John, thanks very much, that was exhaustive and informative. That’s crazy about Laguna Honda, as you said, it’s literally been a lifesaver for people like James since it opened in 1866. There really isn’t another managed care facility like it. Let’s hope it stays open. - Dewane

Thanks for keeping him alive in our memories, John. What a terrible ordeal for all involved. The way our community rallies around stories like this is always heartwarming to me.

thanks for the kind words, guys, we’re always grateful to hear James is still in peoples’ thoughts …

picture.php


nine of us got up to Laguna Honda this past weekend to visit. guess the place had been closed to any visitors for over two years, due to Covid.

I’d not yet seen the new hospital and it is huge, awesome, modern and brand new, compared to the old one. hearing they are going to be OK with their federal funding, and remain open, thank goodness. we’ll see I guess.

had a wonderful visit with James, who looked happy and well taken care of.

:gsxrgrl
 
Last edited:
That has good vibes running through me. Good on you all!

Great to hear he is doing well. That him on the lower right??
 
Thank you John for the positive post. Worthy of The Good News thread.
 
Sorry to dust off an old thread.

After leaving SF in 2007 I lost touch with James and his status. Long story short. Between looking through the back of a closet and finding one of the pairs of Daytona's James set me up with and watching a video on sidecars in the TT I have been thinking of James.

If there is a more recent update I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
 
hi Mr @rlovingjr,

thanks for asking for a recent update about James! we are always grateful to hear the he is still in people’s thoughts. :thumbup

the current news is that James continues to be stable at Laguna Honda, San Francisco’s only publicly-funded skilled nursing facility, where he has been basically since his 2006 Isle of Man TT sidecar racing incident. Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center has completed a major turnaround, regaining its Medicare/Medicaid certification after a 2022 decertification issue, and has recently achieved a five-star rating—but the experience of his family and SFMC friends who consistently visit him and help him manage his finances is that he has always received appropriate attention and proper and professional ongoing medical care at Laguna Honda. James was moved from the older buildings into the recently built and impressive modern hospital, and he is easy to visit for those wishing to do so. :angel
 
Last edited:
Sorry to dust off an old thread.

After leaving SF in 2007 I lost touch with James and his status. Long story short. Between looking through the back of a closet and finding one of the pairs of Daytona's James set me up with and watching a video on sidecars in the TT I have been thinking of James.

If there is a more recent update I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Rlovingjr - 500 Ascott owner & NoCal BMW club member in the past?
 
Back
Top