• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Looking for some adventures

If you ae planning on ADVenture rides, it's just not wise to go solo. It takes at least 2 or more to pick up a downed 500+ lbs. bike, or maneuver out of sand/mud or off a failed hill-climb. Besides there's safety camping in numbers.

I'm trying to get a group of riders together for these type of rides. The closest areas are down in Clear Creek or Mendocino NF. I'm just down the road from you (Walnut Creek). If you're available for a ride, give me a heads up and propose a time/place.

Hey... I may be interested in an adventure ride like that with a small group some weekend. :)
 
Hey... I may be interested in an adventure ride like that with a small group some weekend. :)

Damn! I need another dual sport if a 'local' riding group gets organized! I however, want to go back to the DRZ...which is gonnnnna suck trying to keep up with all y'alllllls 'big' bikes...oh well, I havent found one in a good price point yet anyway.
 
Hey... I may be interested in an adventure ride like that with a small group some weekend. :)

I would also be interested in something like this.

Yea Nick you're definitely gonna have trouble keeping up with such a big bike as the KLR :rofl the power never ceases to amaze.
 
I would also be interested in something like this.

Yea Nick you're definitely gonna have trouble keeping up with such a big bike as the KLR :rofl the power never ceases to amaze.

AHAHHA....I meant on the SLAB to all the good spots..I live in Tracy! I have had a KLR and a DRZ...the DRZ definately doesnt feel 250cc less power.

Smaller displacement, equal power, far less weight, way better suspension, and brakes. Just suuuuucks over 65MPH for 2 hours, and it has a pee-wee tank compared to the Exxon-Valdez of a KLR.
 
AHAHHA....I meant on the SLAB to all the good spots..I live in Tracy! I have had a KLR and a DRZ...the DRZ definately doesnt feel 250cc less power.

Smaller displacement, equal power, far less weight, way better suspension, and brakes. Just suuuuucks over 65MPH for 2 hours, and it has a pee-wee tank compared to the Exxon-Valdez of a KLR.

Hahaha all true statements :rofl. I wouldn't doubt if the drz had a leg up in power over the beast.
 
ADV ride 3/11 to Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV?

Hey... I may be interested in an adventure ride like that with a small group some weekend. :)

Damn! I need another dual sport if a 'local' riding group gets organized! I however, want to go back to the DRZ...which is gonnnnna suck trying to keep up with all y'alllllls 'big' bikes...oh well, I havent found one in a good price point yet anyway.

Informal ride to Lake Berryesa/Knoxville OHV area.

For the truly adventurous looking for a challenge: We've seen this terrain handled comfortably on H-D Sportsters, a Ural with side car, vintage Triumph Bonnevilles, and sports bikes (See Sjaak Lucassen on an R1: )

NOTE: This is an INFORMAL RIDE. There is no assigned lead or sweep. For those that would like to join the ride but skip the dirt portion of the route, you have the option of continuing on to the Shell station in Lower Lake on CA-29.

Gas stops are sparse on this route so please have a full tank of gas when you arrive at Starbucks.

So if you're feeling adventurous to join this ride, meet at 8:45am.

PLEASE READ GUIDELINES BELOW. THEY WILL APPLY.

Meetup:
Starbucks
4470 Central Way Ste 100
Fairfield, CA 94534

KSU at 9:00am

Route: Practice your navigation skills and route planning. Set up your GPS waypoints and roadbook reader, and navigate your way through the described route. Link to Rallye/Raid navigation instructions

Head North on Suisun Valley Rd to Rt-121 Wooden Valley Rd to Rt-128 Cappell Valley Rd to Berryessa Knoxville Rd. (West side of Lake Berryessa) for the multiple stream crossings.

Morgan Valley Rd. to the South Entrance of the Knoxville OHV area. Turn left into Knoxville Devil's Head Rd. then follow signs to "Lower Camp". Head North out of "Lower Camp" on Jeep Trail to "Upper Camp"/Staging Area and back onto Morgan Valley Rd.

Instead of heading to Lower Lake: Find the mysterious Rd-40!

Morgan Valley Rd. East on Reiff Rd./County Rd 140A/Rayhouse Rd./Rd 40 all the way to CA-16 at Cache Creek Regional Park then back down to Rt-128, Rt-121 to I-80.

A few maps and pics of the route.

GPS, SPOT, Camelback, and Camera highly recommended. Brown bag lunch if you prefer.

Weather: weather.com forecast Rain 24 hrs. prior will cancel ride.

**GUIDELINES TO RIDE KNOXVILLE OHV RECREATION AREA**
•All vehicles must be street licensed or have a current off-highway vehicle registration (green or red sticker)
•All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed muffler and a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester.
•All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) operators must wear a D.O.T. approved safety helmet.
•No operator of an all-terrain vehicle may carry a passenger when operating on public lands. However, the operator of an all-terrain vehicle, that is designed for operation off of the highway by an operator with no more than one passenger, may carry a passenger when operating on public lands. (CVC 38506).
•Please respect our neighbors and stay out of private land.
•Yield the right of way to pedestrians, horses or bicycles.
•All roads and trails in the area have two-way traffic. Be alert and always stay to the right-hand side.
•Please stay on designated trails. Avoid cutting switchbacks or driving through stream bottoms and wet meadows. Devilhead Road is a county road, therefore only street licensed vehicles are permitted.
•This area is open to hunting year round. Be extremely cautious when riding during peak hunting seasons.
 
Informal ride to Lake Berryesa/Knoxville OHV area.

For the truly adventurous looking for a challenge: We've seen this terrain handled comfortably on H-D Sportsters, a Ural with side car, vintage Triumph Bonnevilles, and sports bikes (See Sjaak Lucassen on an R1: )

Yeah but... sounds like mostly dirt bikes... I have a DL650... what are you gonna be riding? :|

•All vehicles must be equipped with [...] a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester.

How do I know if I have one of those?
 
Yeah but... sounds like mostly dirt bikes... I have a DL650... what are you gonna be riding? :|



How do I know if I have one of those?

It is usually stamped on the exhaust...where the other info is stamped into it. I don't think the DL650 has one....but...it is usually only a problem with aftermarket 'straight-through' exhausts. There is enough baffling and shit in a stock exhaust it really won't matter.
 
Last edited:
Yeah but... sounds like mostly dirt bikes... I have a DL650... what are you gonna be riding? :|



How do I know if I have one of those?

Rod - No worries, Weestrom does fine on this route. 2 weeks ago we had a V-Strom, Versys, and Triumph Bonneville leading the pack.

Modern street pipes with emissions... never had a problem. We rode Carnegie SVRA 3 weekends ago... all our streetbikes passed Ranger inspection... they just wanted our $5.

PS - I'll be on a Triumph Tiger shod with Scorpion Trails; no knobbies.
 
Back
Top