Maddevill
KNGKAW
- Joined
- Jun 26, 2005
- Location
- Hayward
- Moto(s)
- ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
- Name
- Steve
- BARF perks
- AMA #: 542337
Well, 2023 hasn't started out too great for me. After my tibia plateau fracture back in 2021, my knee was just starting to get back to the point where I could get my foot properly back on the peg. I was even kinda considering trying a track day after years. Also my little riding group was finally starting to come together up here.
Well, wife had to fly to Vegas and we had a pretty major snowstorm. The poor dogs were cooped up for days so, on Sunday, I decided to take them on a short walk. I planned on being careful. Put on my Sorel boots and headed out.
Got just past the neighbors and discovered that there was a layer of ice under the fresh snow. Left foot slipped and I guess I kinda rotated. I actually heard a loud POP as I went down. Pain wasn't too terrible but now the lower half of my left leg was sticking out almost sideways. First thing was straighten out the leg. Kinda weird, the bottom half didn't feel like it was attached anymore
Next was to start yelling. Remember I live in a very rural area in the mountains. I guess I was incredibly lucky that my neighbor, who's gate I was sitting in front of, had decided to take the day off because of the storm. He came out, ran down to my house, gathered up some stuff and put the dogs away and got my Yukon out. He drove me down to the hospital in Redding.
Final score I had snapped my femur just above the knee. The fact that my thigh muscles and quads were still not fully recovered from last time probably were part of why the bone broke.
So another long recovery ahead, my 3rd in 3 years. Wife is still gone so I'm trying to handle everything myself. It's very frustrating. I had big plans for the spring and summer.
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
Mad
Well, wife had to fly to Vegas and we had a pretty major snowstorm. The poor dogs were cooped up for days so, on Sunday, I decided to take them on a short walk. I planned on being careful. Put on my Sorel boots and headed out.
Got just past the neighbors and discovered that there was a layer of ice under the fresh snow. Left foot slipped and I guess I kinda rotated. I actually heard a loud POP as I went down. Pain wasn't too terrible but now the lower half of my left leg was sticking out almost sideways. First thing was straighten out the leg. Kinda weird, the bottom half didn't feel like it was attached anymore
Next was to start yelling. Remember I live in a very rural area in the mountains. I guess I was incredibly lucky that my neighbor, who's gate I was sitting in front of, had decided to take the day off because of the storm. He came out, ran down to my house, gathered up some stuff and put the dogs away and got my Yukon out. He drove me down to the hospital in Redding.
Final score I had snapped my femur just above the knee. The fact that my thigh muscles and quads were still not fully recovered from last time probably were part of why the bone broke.
So another long recovery ahead, my 3rd in 3 years. Wife is still gone so I'm trying to handle everything myself. It's very frustrating. I had big plans for the spring and summer.
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
Mad