Race Gear Recommendations: Protection

Zero1

Unknown Substance
Moto(s)
Yes
Time to upgrade the gear and looking for recommendations on protection and how the systems fit under a 1 piece race suit. Specially, I will be purchasing either an Alpinestars Fusion Race Suit or Alpinestars Missile V2 Race Suit.

I plan on buying a Alpinestars Tech-Air 7X Airbag System to go with the race suit and was wondering how it fits, comfort, and maneuverability when hanging off the bike and just being a monkey. Also HEAT and how bad is it at Thill when it's 110?

Also, any recommendations for pants under the suit like Icon Field Armor Compression Pants or Bohn armor pants or will this be too bulky and restrictive?

Side Question: Anyone have experience with the Alpinestars Supertech R10 helmet...good/bad?

Last edited:
Helmet is supposed to be quite good (from helmet expert at RZ/CG).

I like Alpinestars stuff, but it doesn't fit. If you have any muscle mass, the arms and legs are too tight per body height.

It sucks since Road Rider went away... best bet is to buy the under armor gear first, before leathers. This way you can try the leathers on WITH the under gear on. Cycle Gear is pretty much the only show in town that isn't a brand store.

I have had custom leathers made and off the shelf ones too. If you are a standard body shape/size, you might find off the shelf works. Just know that the more high end, molded body panels the leathers are the more that the leathers might be one time use only... meaning you will never be able to repair them or if you can you will need to send them back to Italy or something. My suggestion would be, just like motorcycles, go with a brand that offers good local services and support. For me, I have a Dainese main store right near me so they will send out my leathers for repairs if I need them.

I use Under Armour long sleeve and tights for both winter and summer riding. Field Armour is great, but just like boots you may be locked to use whatever is designed for the leathers depending on which line you go with. For instance the highest end Dainese require you to use their boots and their back protectors... some leathers are over the boot and some are inside the boot. When you put on all the gear, try to get into tuck position and see how it all feels. Just note that leather will break in an stretch a little, that and tight leathers slide while loose catch and cause you to flip. I don't think all the padding in the world is gone to protect you from a bad crash, especially on the street... so take reasonable precautions by wearing leather and don't take unreasonable risks to where you get to find out how good your gear is. As I got faster on the track, my street speed became my cruising speed. So while I may be dragging knee on the street, I am literally only at 66% or less of my potential. 64 Degree Racing makes some purpose built compression suits as well that look damn nice 64degreeracing.com; I know more than a few track junkies that use his gear.

A helmet is just a brain bucket, so whatever that fits and you like is good enough. The more you pay, the lighter the helmet is without compromising safety... less weight is less strain on your neck riding.

Gloves, same thing... whatever fits. Try to get something that is going to last you. Alpine I can wear through the turn signal thumb leather in less than one summer.

I have tried all the brands at one time or another that are not just utter low end junk. Alpine is great brand new but wear apart for me really quickly. I personally like the fit for me of the Arai Corsair-X, the Dainese Race Suits, Dainese Race Boots... but that has more to do with I actually fit into these right off the shelf perfectly without any modifications needed. Had another brand or model worked for me I would have gone with that.

Whatever you get, make sure you enjoy the fit and it is comfortable. Last thing you need is to be messing around with your gear in the middle of turn on the track.

If you are near San Jose, I would also check out Zooni Leathers... I got one suit from Jay and it is still awesome. Took a crash in on the track and no tears or stitching came out! I would recommend adding hip padding for low sides and I fought with him to add more material to the zipper flap to add a key velcro pocket (best idea I ever had for where to stick my key and never have it fall out on me.)

Helimot used to make the best gloves... but he is up in Idaho and I don't think he is still making gloves anymore. If you can find them, these were good for like 5-10 years no question.

Last edited:
Damn, that A* R10 helmet looks sexy AF, especially with the red CF - it reminds me of my favorite looking helmet that I've owned.

My quasi-cheap ass is a value-buyer; I try to stick to a reasonable (for me) all-things-bike-related budget and prioritize getting the best quality/looks/comfort for the money. For my needs and interests, I've found that, generally, LS2 offers me the best bang for my buck in the models they offer over the past few years. (Before that, it was Shoei's RF1200, and before that Scorpion, especially in the early to mid-2000s.)

As to the other gear, all I can really add is that if you're going to spend a lot of time at THill/Buttonwillow, perforated is the way to go. I felt like I was going to literally melt in my unperforated gear, at both tracks, from late June-Aug.

My first track day at Sonoma in early May with new suit, helmet, airbag and chest protector.

Size large Tech Air 7 with a size large Alpine Level 2 chest protector.

Size 54 Fusion Suit. Mostly black color with orange highlights.

I am 5'8", 185 lbs, size 54 with good torso fit and loose leg/crotch fit. B group.

All white Shoei X-15 with short hair.

Temp was 65F and there was moderate breeze.

I wore Psycle Skins size Large as a base layer.

I have more fat than when I was 50 and I will start sweating earlier than most. I was never hot, maybe just a little warm, so unzipped airbag and jacket front when not riding.

I did not feel the air vest or suit interfered with riding. The chest protector was a little snug. I was expecting more venting from the Fusion when on the bike. But rather, I noticed the cooling effect off the bike as compared to my past perforated Spidi R2 that was half blue/half white.

In the Fusion, it was easy to manually pump tires. Not easy to remove suit top between sessions because of decreased room from airbag vest, so I kept it on.

Putting on the Airbag 7 vest was easier than putting on Tech Air 5 because you don't have to position it inside leathers.

Would like to hear how you find it, especially in the heat.

BTW, my Tech Air App cannot recognize my 7, probably because the 5 is already paired with it. I uploaded a newer version of the App, but still no Tech 7 recognition.

Last edited:
Back