• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

SUN 3/11 Lake Barryessa/Knoxville/Rayhouse Rd.

.gpx file

Did any of you guys have your GPS on? PaulC is inquiring if we can provide him with a .gpx of the route.

Anyone?
 
Just checked the gps, I have most of the trail but for some reason it had stopped tracking about 10k of the trail. Anyway, I cannot wait until the 7th! See you guys at starbucks...on time for once:rolleyes
 
Might have to use a sick day for this one, unless there's takers for the 8th ? Ride fast and take no prisoners ! Or I could meet you guys at the Cache Creek Casino then ride back with you.......ahh that's the ticket ! Estimated time arrival at the casino ? Drew ?
 
Last edited:
Thank you Bill for mad camera (and steady riding) skills. For Bill's efforts beyond the call of duty, I highly recommend that Bill has the honor of selecting the day in April for our next ride so it does not interfere with your Easter plans. Sid picks the route; Bill picks the day in April.

That was an awesome video! Watching Alex with a passenger and a topcase ride the jeep trail from lower camp to the Knoxville OHV north entrance is just motivating. Plus Bill caught Dean on the Motard, a shot of Dan on the Triumph Bonneville; and Sid on the KTM 990. Just to keep Zach calm, Bill got him and Sean at the beginning: "There is Proof of Life".


I added music to the video. :cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1GTsMn8sj8
 
Last edited:
Might have to use a sick day for this one, unless there's takers for the 8th ? Ride fast and take no prisoners ! Or I could meet you guys at the Cache Creek Casino then ride back with you.......ahh that's the ticket ! Estimated time arrival at the casino ? Drew ?

From a 9AM Start, we hit Cache Creek Zero Ton bridge approximately at 1PM.
 
Last edited:
Damn rod, glad I came back to this thread and looked for pics of you dragging u're bike under the gate on a blanket....

Ummm, quick question?

Why were you that close to the edge?

Didn't look like the ruts were that bad farther in....
 
Damn rod, glad I came back to this thread and looked for pics of you dragging u're bike under the gate on a blanket....

Ummm, quick question?

Why were you that close to the edge?

Didn't look like the ruts were that bad farther in....

I'm feeling bad for Rod so I'm gonna step in if you don't mind. Videos can be deceiving. The day after Rods incident, before any of us knew about it, 9 other bikes took that same road. I was the second to last and ended up taking that same line. Take a look at this video here and go to the 6 minute mark. You can see in the video that 7 other riders in front of me chose that same route by the lines on the ground. I am not one to "follow the leader". I always pick the line that looks the best to me, so apparently it's one of those cases where you had to be there.
 
You can see in the video that 7 other riders in front of me chose that same route by the lines on the ground.

Good thing I moved that rock out of the way.

:teeth

:laughing
 
I'm feeling bad for Rod so I'm gonna step in if you don't mind. Videos can be deceiving.


I definitely agree, which is why I was asking. I've done that road in a jeep and know how bad the ruts can be sometime... so was curious as to if I wasn't seeing a rut that he was trying to avoid... or if... as he put it

'Cause the bike fell over. :twofinger :laughing

Definitely :thumbup on you being ok Rod... no offense, but u're getting old man, can't keep dumping the bike on these dirt roads... or you should take one of Doc Wongs Dirt classes and learn how to ride dirt! :twofinger
 
^This. Also, would anyone be interested in camping up there? Ride up on Sat and back on Sun?

I've been trying to organize a trip for Lett's Lake up that way later this summer... Jeeping, riding, shooting, fishing, camping, camp fires, drinking, maybe not in that order but close....
 
^This. Also, would anyone be interested in camping up there? Ride up on Sat and back on Sun?

I think some of the fellas will be open to that. There's so much area to ride and explore up at Knoxville/Cache Creek. Also check out the Mendo NF Rally on May 3-6. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757208 followed by the Sheetiron 300 http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117225

To give some insight on my attitude on this ADV fad...

thanks to folks like yourself, sharing routes and organizing rides, and taking the time to post on AMA O/MCs (ha!), I've gotten to enjoy some of California's incredible off-pavement, remote, beauty ...

You streetbike Adventure BARF riders, doing Mendocino Pass FJRs and Rayhouse road on late model Bonnevilles are too cool for words ... My heroes!

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn sums up the reasons I enjoy riding with y'all, We pretty much run what we've brung... and we keep on riding even if the payment stops or the weather isn't 'fair'. Here's the video that motivates me to do these rat bike adventures:

[youtube]beEXfEdpDrk[/youtube]


Many of you who I've had the privilege to ride with have seen me drop my Tiger 'rat bike' on almost every ride (dirt or asphalt). My secret? I purchased her as a salvaged vehicle for $750. Here's a lnk to a blog for original pictures of the damage: http://girlieadv.blogspot.com/2011/12/damage-assessment.html

It took me about a month to straighten the frame and forks, repair cracked plastic, fabricate a few pieces like the bash plate; scour Fleabay, Craigslist, and motorcycle wrecking yards around the country to get the bits to pass the CHP inspection for DMV registration; and address all the fundamental manufacturer issues. She is an absolute thrill to ride with the Triple motor and sorted suspension (Ricor front, Ohlins rear); tremendous 'bang for the buck'; and does everything I need an ADV uberbeast to do at a 10th of what it would have cost me had a gone to a dealer for a new bike. I ride her as hard and as often as I can... one of you guys mentioned that we're riding these bikes past their limits... hmmm...

I've been planning on setting up a DS bike for the upcoming Sheetiron 300. My criteria was K.I.S.S. on technology: pretty much bulletproof - low maintenance (read agricultural); and at a budget where I could just flog the bitch without crying in my beer.

On Tuesday I got lucky and picked up an operating 'junked' Suzuki DR350 for $250! That's less than the price of the set of Heidenau K60 Scout tires I just threw on the Tiger. The frame number (DR250) and engine (DR350) did not match, and the seller did not have a title. I did some research on the VIN and tracked down the original owner up in Redding, who filed the 'junked' status in 2003 with DMV. I spent the last 48-hrs. getting the bits to make her street legal, tune her up, setup the suspension, and correct the factory issues. Today, DMV granted dual-registration: CA street plates plus Green Sticker! The registration fees almost cost as much as the bike.

Here's a video with an interesting perspective on Dual Sport motorcycle selection, which may be appreciated by Adam AKA 'GoNotShow', but not by our brethren riding KiLRs.

[youtube]Zibj7KnjClk[/youtube]
 
Last edited:
Back
Top