• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Essential Trials Stickie

Yeah I didn't recognize him either, he said he was doing it more 4-5 years ago. Nice guy though.
 

Attachments

  • LF 1.jpg
    LF 1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 110
  • LF 2.jpg
    LF 2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 109
Good to see you guys out at PC, we got perfect weather. Clouds, some sun with tacky dirt; event ended and I got packed up about 5 minutes before the rain hit! I enjoyed checking more than I thought I would, good chance to see and say "hi" to members I know as well as watching lots of folks ride in their own styles. Very informative on body position and ways to approach each obstacle. That one expert (Chad?) that was in jeans and a T-shirt was a damned good rider. Adrian said he'd been riding since about 6 and got to run the national circuit for a year or two before life and jobs took him out of that type of competition. He was so dynamic on the bike, really moved his body around to make it do what he wanted. Makes we want to learn to hop!

See you at Carr and maybe this next weekend out at Carnegie/whatever. Didn't get to ride much last weekend and need to practice some before Carr.
 
Same here Luke, you were checking a pretty fun section. How did your family like PC?

Yes it was incredible to watch Chad Redman especially on some of the other sections with big rocks and no runup room. Sid and I got to see him tackle a bunch of sections, very cool indeed.

I don't think I will be able to make Carr but for sure the Cow Pile. I need to work on the mental side of sections, so easy to get frustrated or focus on mistakes in the last section.

Might also start walking sections with stuff I can't see on 2nd and 3rd loops. I went over the bars on Joe Bill's section b/c a piece of a log got moved and I didn't see it when I came over a big log. Front tire landed right on it and down I went :) Luckily I didn't get hurt and bike was fine but could have been prevented if I walked it before I started.
 
Family had a blast, my older daughter was just asking me on the phone when the next event is....I told her the weekend after this one...yippeee!

Thinking about practice this weekend at Carnegie, Sunday around 9:30?
 
I too had a good time, really struggled out there though. I guess I know what I need to practice on, square edged rocks and ledges. Luke Im glad you guys had a good time Francesca said your daughters are beautiful and told me, see what we could have had, since we didn't have children together....lol Looks like were going to Carnagie this weekend too but not sure on the day since we have some stuff we have to deal with hopefully we can hook up. Mark, your scores were really good, like I said you seem to do really well at Prarie City and you looked smooth it was awesome seeing you 0 section 5. Looking forward to Carr trial and we are heading up Sat morning and camping out.
 
Sid, cleaning 5 was a high point. Thanks for pointing out the Line for me :)

Keep the vids coming! Surprised I didn't break a foot peg in that section
 
Thank Francesca for the kind words, I think they're great too but am a little biased :)

Realized that Sunday is Easter after my kids reminded me so I may have to do Saturday or just practice at the shop. Have to get the trailer finished so I can bring it up to Carr. We all will be going, may get up there Friday but more likely on Saturday and camp. See you there if not before.

That section in the video got me this year, got 2;2;3 on it for no good reason. At least I didn't have concrete slab pin my tire and rip the sidewall in the first loop like that guy last year....
 
Well Carr was great riding, pretty area and good folks to hang out with. We did our first family overnight and we all had fun. Francesca and my girls had a blast at the camp fire making smores (thanks for bringing the fixin's Francesca) and she did a great job checking. Always fun when the whole group helps make the event work.

Donna got to ride a bunch on Sunday and actually made it to the top of the hill by sections 9/10. That was one of the harder spots on the whole loop and she is getting pretty comfy on that 125. She loved Paul's tricked out Oset but a bike like that isn't in the cards.

My ride on Sunday was looking pretty good to start, got a 6 and 5 total for each of the first two loops but my motor is making some bad noises..need to pull it apart and see what's up before the next event. Got screwed on the last loop, I kept starting in the sequence we went with in the first loop (we started on section 7) so running late on loop three I ran 7-10 and headed out to 1. They had already run the sweep and 1/2 were already closed! Coulda' gotten 2nd in my class and instead got 2nd to last (6/5/66 for the loops). Totally sucked and I was pissed, Joe never gave a sweep time and I thought I had enough time left...lesson learned.

Good to see you there, Sid. I'll be down for the next week or two due to the motor stuff, am hoping to get in a day of practice before Shaad ranch. Both of my girls want to go to that one, were asking me about it on the ride home. They had a blast with Clive's daughter and want to hang with her again...
 
Wish I could have made it out there, saw some photos and it looked amazing! Sorry to hear about the score, I looked at the unofficial results and was wondering what happened on your 3rd loop.

Hope it's nothing major with your bike, it would be nice to see everyone at the Shaad ranch trial.
 
I too had a blast really fun place to ride simply amazing. Francesca really enjoyed spending time with your daughters Luke, she likes them a lot and had a chance to chat with Donna a little back at camp Sat night and thanks for adjusting the clutch for her. Sun was going good for me but I was making dumb mistakes and dabbing in places like turns with no obstacles oh well, still had so much fun and riding Sat night with Matt and Bryce was awesome, and following Bryce up and down those rocks while play riding was unforgettable really looking forward to the next trial. Matt and Bryce were telling me it's a little harder then normal and that there is a lot of creek sections not deep mud but shallow medium water with lots of rock climbs in and out of the creek. Sorry to hear you have to tear it down and check it out but better safe then sorry.
 
Got the head off and obviously had to pull the coolant lines to do it. Nada water in there.....gasket on the pressure cap was shifted off to one side and musta' let it all out the overflow. I had just topped it off after BAC so likely my fault (although I have taken a radiator cap off a few times in my day...).

Top of the piston looks good, no scores on the cylinder walls but will pull the jug tomorrow for further inspection. Sure hope that's all it is, had Bryce listen to it at the end of Sunday and he said it didn't sound like his did but was wary of the Ossa in general (with good reason no doubt).

I'll update tomorrow! If you can get that jacked up rear brake lever off the Honda send/bring it by, I'll get it fixed so Francesca can have a rear brake...:laughing
 
Got the jug off and the rod/lower end seem fine, no play at all. Piston looked pretty good, pin was a little worn but not bad, small end on the rod shows a little heat but not too much.
Got a new piston kit coming, will put it back together and hope to get up and running by the weekend, hopefully the bad noise will be gone....

Talked to Adrian a bit, what a good guy he is. We went over some stuff on the bike (how to pull the crank, it's an oddball in that it goes in from one side, no split cases) then talked about Carr a little. He was saying the sections were too easy (ADV were coming in off the first loop with a score of 1...) and I thought I was just riding well.....guess they were a little easy after thinking about it. Don't know what he would've laid out, bet I woulda' been wishing I was SP....

Hopefully see you guys for a practice before Shaar, looks like there may be some rain on Friday/Saturday morning so if I get my bike together in time Sunday may be a good day for it. Finally got my MSO so I can title my bike, maybe even get that this week too, then I can try Metcalf the following week.
 
Quick question guys, I have a Beta, was told it is an Alp about 1989 vintage. I'm changing the transmission oil and am not sure exactly what to use. Found a manual on line and it said 20/30 transmission oil, someone told me to use atf, others have said use Rotella - thought I'd ask someone here...
 
oobus, not sure what you should use but I can tell you I run ATF in my 2010 gas gas. I looked on the Beta specific forum on Trials Central, but didn't see anything when I searched for "alp". You may want to post something there to be safe
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/forum/5-beta/

Luke, hopefully the noise goes away. I know how frustrating that can be :) Think I'm going to tear mine apart to check the big and little end this summer. Broke my front fender practicing yesterday so will order one from Adrian.

If you want to try metcalf let me know. I think I'll be there afternoon of Sat 16th. This Sunday I'm heading to clear creek on my 450 as I someone offering to show me around and I've never ridden there.
 
Back
Top