• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Essential Trials Stickie

Thanks Luke, I decided I'm going to buy a new skid plate then deal with trying to bend the old one back to have as a spare.

I'm going to try to make Boreal, what about you guys?
 
Yeah, we'll be there. Got a new pop-up camper to make the weekends with the family a little easier to set up. We may head up to the PITS property this weekend to test the camper and get some well needed practice before Boreal. It's a pretty lame camp spot but the event last year was fun, we will be up for the whole weekend. Might stay at the PITS property if the parking lot looks too horrible....
 
Yeah, we'll be there. Got a new pop-up camper to make the weekends with the family a little easier to set up. We may head up to the PITS property this weekend to test the camper and get some well needed practice before Boreal. It's a pretty lame camp spot but the event last year was fun, we will be up for the whole weekend. Might stay at the PITS property if the parking lot looks too horrible....
Don't camp in the lower part of the Pits under the power lines.
Unless you like to hear the freeway and trains all night!
 
I think you here the freeway and trains anywhere on their property.....but it is worse down in the field, hopefully my new camper can fit back in the trees somewhere. Couldn't get my 7x14 enclosed anywhere back there.

Camping at Boreal is open for Friday and Saturday but it's at the far West end of the parking lot on asphalt. Some folks tent it but it isn't the typical camping experience hence the comment about camping at the property. It's about 20 minutes away but much nicer for the stay.
 
Hey Luke, glad to see your back. Francesca and I are planning on making Boreal both days we're thinking of staying in Truckee Sat night though but nothings for sure yet. Mark thats sucks, if I remember their not to expensive through Lewisports. Anyway's hope to see everybody soon.
 
Thanks Sid, how did you find out within a few hours of me getting it!? I was going to post something last night but decided not to, now I might as well.


Here is it, can't wait to ride it this weekend. Feels planted and I love the gas tank down low below the seat. Rode Adrian's around some, motor feels pretty strong so I'm glad it has 4 fuel maps to tame it some. Won't be an issue when it's dry but in conditions like Copperopolis this year it will take some real control... We're heading up to the property in case anyone wants to join up, are trying to get up there tonight and stay until Sunday.
 

Attachments

  • vert 1.jpg
    vert 1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 88
Also, selling my Ossa. 2012 with mods to make it a 2013, good shape but will need new tires by the end of the season. Asking $3,800, will post in the for sale section as well as on Lewisport site.
 
Congrats Luke! I think I saw the same post on Facebook as Sid :) Beautiful looking bike and I've heard great things about them.

Looks like I will probably make Boreal on Sunday, hope to see you guys up there!!
 
Got to test out the new ride this weekend; seemed like the entire PITS club was up at the property on Saturday. Mike H, Marty, Rich F, Rich (other), Harry O with friend, Pat M, Robbie, Dan D and I know I'm missing one or two. Most only came up for Saturday, only Marty stayed over as we did. Camping was great, weather was a little hot but not bad and the Vertigo is astounding.

All the bits (rear brake, shifter, pipe) are all tucked way back inside. 1/4" thick bash plate protects it all and the FI lets them make a much shorter header. I compared it with some gassers and it must be 2" higher at the first turn after the exhaust port and 3-4" lower at the upper turn (by the gas tank/frame). This allows it to be tucked up and away and stay right by the cylinder. Frames are about the same width but Vertigo does a silencer that flattens out under the rear fender rather than on the side like a gasser. Again, more trim and narrow in the tail. FI is very good, way better than the Osaa, Donna started it after riding it for 3 minutes....she could never start the Ossa. Air filter is HUGE, almost the size of the gasser fuel tank, no joke; up high as well so it lasts forever before a clean. Fuel tank is below the saddle and clear so you can see the fuel level (rocket science....).

That low fuel level leads to the handling; very light with a very tight turning radius. Dan D (Beta rider) agreed with me; it is as tight turning as a Beta, maybe even more so (he thought maybe another 5 degree?). I kept jack knifing on lock turns in soft stuff, it's so much tighter than the Ossa. Peg input is sensitive, slight weight variation and the bike takes a different tack; I was over doing it all weekend. The frame felt like it had two different areas to work in; over the saddle and way forward over the bars. At first being that far forward seemed weird but the bike is so stable and turns so tight you have to put some bar pressure down at full lock to make it track.

Motor has great power and is easy to dial up as needed. Pat M rode a test section on his gasser and cleaned it then tried Rich F's Ice Hell never having ridden it before. Not only did he also clean the section but said it felt better on Rich's bike!! We can all check it out next weekend and you guys can take it for a spin, it is impressive.

Heard that Jim got a new TRS and took it out with Bryce (and Matt I'd guess). Can't wait to here how he's liking the new ride. I was thinking about one but felt what you got for the extra coin for the Vert was worth it, hope I keep thinking that way. :teeth

PS, there's major road work on I-80 19-22, getting up there may really suck. Also the early Burners are heading up to Black Rock so that will only make it worse. I think it's only in the E bound direction but not sure; traffic and a small fire off the road outside of Colfax made it take 5 hrs to get back!:wow
 
Sounds like a fun day at the property! Glad you are enjoying the new steed. I rode a new Beta Factory 300 the other day and it felt great, can't imagine how good the Vertigo must ride.
 
Change your pilot jets boys, Boreal is at 8,000 ft! Weather looks like it will be perfect, mid 70's on Saturday and Sunday. Get it while you can, next year it'll be Nationals up there and many of us may be working rather than riding...

Got a 43 tooth rear for the Vert and a lanyard kill switch. It just plugs into the harness behind the headlight, too easy. I botched a double blip on a 3 ft rock on Sunday and did a "slide back and drop over" thing, bike still running with the back wheel in the air. Doubt I would've had the lanyard on my wrist for that but it did make me think about it...

Mark, if you bring up that skidplate I can take it back with me to try and straighten. I have Donna's 125 sitting right there and can use it for comparison, should be able to get it close enough to work as a spare (but if you really need a spare skidplate you may need more parts....)

See you guys soon! Can't wait.
 
Awesome Luke, I'd love to ride it for sure. Im glad you like it and thats awesome that its FI system is better then the Ossa. Club property can get crowded on Sat, every time Francesca and I camp up there we run into a lot of people. Hows the new camper ? We're staying in Truckee Sat night so we'll see you guys up there. Congrats again sure looks pretty !
 
Thanks for the offer Luke. I ended up just buying a new Jitsie skidplate from Adiran which came in the mail yesterday. Figure 6 years of use is pretty good so I'll work on bending the old one back and keep it as a spare.
 
OK Mark but if you think you need more power (think Scotty on Star Trek) I have the capacity....125 ton press brake ought to do it.
 
Newbie question - I'm coming up for the event this weekend. I'm bringing my TL125 which runs great at 1100ft - should I be concerned about jetting at Boreal?
 
Boreal is at 8000 ft....I'd try a step down in pilot if you have it, if not just see what you can get out of it once you get there. 90 percent technique, 10 percent bike and all that.

See you there.
 
Had a great ride today, Mark we missed you up there. I only made it for the Sun event but had an awesome dinner in Truckee with Francesca, and then found our way back to Boreal for the night. Good sections not to hard, very dusty until the afternoon thunderstorms opened up and helped a bit. Overall good event with a great turnout.
 
I wasn't feeling well and couldn't make the trial :( Heard you guys got some rain up there which sounds like it was welcomed b/c of the dust.

How did you guys do? New bike feel good Luke?
 
Back
Top