• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Aircraft that make your jaw drop!

1000020706.jpg
 
When an aircraft's wheels break contact with the runway, the aircraft will weather vane into the wind.
One of the (many) classified parts of the B-52 was that all 4 landing gear are steerable.
 
That cylinder on the canopy rail is a "knife" that was intended to be used to break through the canopy that was jammed closed. They had the same one on the F-5s and T-38's. We tried to break through an old canopy and weren't able to do it. Seemed like a joke / useless to us.
1790794412824.png


The F-100 was a challenging aircraft to take-off and land. In inexperienced hands they would enter the 'Sabre dance'. Too slow and too low to eject.
 
One of the (many) classified parts of the B-52 was that all 4 landing gear are steerable.
Seriously doubt this was classified as it could be observed on every TO and many landings. It was also tested during taxi before take off. 416th Bomb Wing, 416 Avionics Maintenance Sqd. 77-81. Innovative, yes, classified, no.
 
Seriously doubt this was classified as it could be observed on every TO and many landings. It was also tested during taxi before take off. 416th Bomb Wing, 416 Avionics Maintenance Sqd. 77-81. Innovative, yes, classified, no.
Seeing it done vs knowing all the details about how it works are different maybe?
 
Seriously doubt this was classified as it could be observed on every TO and many landings. It was also tested during taxi before take off. 416th Bomb Wing, 416 Avionics Maintenance Sqd. 77-81. Innovative, yes, classified, no.
Makes sense.

A video of a landing (with drag chute).
 
The Helio Courier had castering main gear that allowed it to have substantial crosswind landing capabilities. They were flown by the CIA during the Viet Nam conflict.
 
Dude, if that's your work and you have more models of any kind, please to make a thread about it. :thumbup
I have a cabinet full of models and even more unbuilt kits. I rediscovered the hobby when I was going through a really shitty divorce and custody battle about a decade ago. It was a very therapeutic way to focus on something else. I haven't had much motivation to build the last couple of years, though.
 
I have a cabinet full of models and even more unbuilt kits. I rediscovered the hobby when I was going through a really shitty divorce and custody battle about a decade ago. It was a very therapeutic way to focus on something else. I haven't had much motivation to build the last couple of years, though.
I'll be stoked if you share. My divorce outlet was triathlon :laughing
 
I'll be stoked if you share. My divorce outlet was triathlon :laughing
I made a page on the book of faces several years back just for model stuff.

 
I made a page on the book of faces several years back just for model stuff.


wow, that was the coolest thing I’ve seen all week, thanks for the link! :thumbup

just loved the model building contest and model club stuff. what a wonderful subculture … and the photographs of your models are fantastic, too. :angel
 
^^^^MiG-28's....no one has been this close before! Four years at Topgun and we never flew them with tanks. I wonder where these two are headed.

I love how the Navy is working hard to keep VF-111 around. I think the F-5 is the modern equivalent of the A-4. Simple, effective, inexpensive, and will be around forever.
 
From the "Who Cares?™ Department" of Tim...

Looking at those F-5's made me realize that every military aircraft I touched while on Active Duty has 'aged out' and been retired. I'm sure I'm not the only BARFer that can say that. It's time to go see one of the few remaining Topgun F-5s. It's sitting on the ground at (correction) the Hemet airport NAS Fallon.

I don't feel old, but facts is facts.
 
Last edited:
From the "Who Cares?™ Department" of Tim...

Looking at those F-5's made me realize that every military aircraft I touched while on Active Duty has 'aged out' and been retired. I'm sure I'm not the only BARFer that can say that. It's time to go see one of the few remaining Topgun F-5s. It's sitting on the ground at the Hemet airport.

I don't feel old, but facts is facts.
Silly you for not getting into the BUFF dept.
wow, that was the coolest thing I’ve seen all week, thanks for the link! :thumbup

just loved the model building contest and model club stuff. what a wonderful subculture … and the photographs of your models are fantastic, too. :angel
SERIOUSLY!! it was actually worth logging into facebook to see that collection. NICE WORK.
 
Back
Top