• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Looking for some adventures

Heya Guys, great advise! so helpful, huge tnx to all :hug

Yes, It is much easier to spend $2K or $5K on a KLR, than getting a BMW or a KTM. and that is just what I want to do.

So, i am officially looking for a KLR 2008 or newer in east bay of sf :party
 
Heya Guys, great advise! so helpful, huge tnx to all :hug

Yes, It is much easier to spend $2K or $5K on a KLR, than getting a BMW or a KTM. and that is just what I want to do.

So, i am officially looking for a KLR 2008 or newer in east bay of sf :party

Might want to steer clear of the '08's. The first year of the new body style was more prone to excessive oil burning. They changed piston ring design in late '08 so some of the later ones were better.
 
Might want to steer clear of the '08's. The first year of the new body style was more prone to excessive oil burning. They changed piston ring design in late '08 so some of the later ones were better.

+1 the new ones are more oil burners. If you don't mind dropping a little more money, you can always get it bored and the problem is solved but the pre 08's are the old faithfuls if you ask me from what I read.
 
Got it ! who can show me around contra costa? :thumbup

6677870877_17e89c6628.jpg
 
Thanks, there's one on Jan 28, I have mailed them to register..

Very nice bike! Congratulations, and enjoy it.

1 piece of advice - get a proper skid plate and real hand guards on the bike before the Doc Wong clinic. More than one person has put a hole in their engine case at one of those clinics.
 
are you referring to the tailbag? if so I got a small givi black one..

:laughing No, it's a advrider meme addressing the cheap nature of KLR owners. If you want to have some real fun, go over to advrider and ask if you should install a thermo-bob!
 
:laughing No, it's a advrider meme addressing the cheap nature of KLR owners. If you want to have some real fun, go over to advrider and ask if you should install a thermo-bob!

LOL- the poor KLR gets mocked mercilessly on ADVrider. Pay no heed StromRider :laughing

Re: the Thermo-Bob... I wasn't aware there was controversy on this mod. It's seriously the best mod I ever made to my KLR (and I did a lot of mods). OK, maybe the fork brace was a little better but it's up there.
 
.........I wrote it on my newbie message (which miraculously disappeared from the forums) that I wanted to register as StormRider and StromRider is a typo :facepalm......................................


Found it !


Sometime before the end of the year,
I am going to relocate to San-Francisco,
one of the first things I'll just have to do
is to get myself the next sport-bike and start to cruise the area.

I hope to see you all on CA highways, on trip and get-togethers!

Only great rides to all !

:cool


:laughing

Congrat's on the new bike !
 
ok, i get it, very funny :rofl

i know why i got this bike, and know this is not my last bike

i am a road (sport) rider, the KiLleR is just an adventure, it was either it or a scooter anyways

I now understand that no one would want to ride with me (other than other KiLleRs) :( snobs :twofinger

now truly thanks for all the tips and see you out there :thumbup
 
I now understand that no one would want to ride with me (other than other KiLleRs) :( snobs :twofinger

No way. KLR guys are some of the coolest guys that you can meet while out on the road. Much more pleasant than the insufferable BMW owner who pulls his $1600 Kermit chair up the to campfire and lathers himself up with pate and vintage reserve wine from his private collection while trying to convince you for hours on end that BMWs are reliable and final drive failures are an internet myth. Just smile, nod and slowly back away.
 
No way. KLR guys are some of the coolest guys that you can meet while out on the road. Much more pleasant than the insufferable BMW owner who pulls his $1600 Kermit chair up the to campfire and lathers himself up with pate and vintage reserve wine from his private collection while trying to convince you for hours on end that BMWs are reliable and final drive failures are an internet myth. Just smile, nod and slowly back away.


Don't MAKE me suspend you again :mad




:twofinger
 
ok, i get it, very funny :rofl

i know why i got this bike, and know this is not my last bike

i am a road (sport) rider, the KiLleR is just an adventure, it was either it or a scooter anyways

I now understand that no one would want to ride with me (other than other KiLleRs) :( snobs :twofinger

now truly thanks for all the tips and see you out there :thumbup

You think that now. Wait until next summer and you are on here trying to convince everyone that the KLR is the best bike ever. :laughing
 
NHESS81, Thanks man, I am registered for "Riding Clinic" 3/2-4 :applause

luckett, lol ! the only thing that troubles me with the KLR is that on the road it will not give me what my CBRF used to give me (and I guess that a F800GS or KTM 990 can give it, on the road and off)

SlideSF, if I'll stick to the KLR it would mean I got myself another bike for the road, like you did, a VFR is just perfect, a GSX-R would also be ok...

oh, how I miss biking, tomorrow I'm riding to SF, no more BART.
 
Last edited:
SlideSF, if I'll stick to the KLR it would mean I got myself another bike for the road, like you did, a VFR is just perfect, a GSX-R would also be ok...

Now you're talking... :thumbup
 
Get the cheapest bike you can trash... ride it, don't worry about dumping it (you will) and become ZAAM self-reliant and learn to fix it. Hear you got a KLR... which should be fine for your height and weight.

Anything larger than a CRF450X is a handful on single-track or technical. Unless you're built like Scott Summers: even the 650s (XR/KLR/DR/KTM) are a handful. I've owned both KTM 640 Lc4 and XR650 in the past which are the biggest (no pun) compromise. I had a F650GS when I rode in Montjuic (Barcelona) and the Pyrenees, but quickly switched to a DRZ400. The downside was the lightweight rides that are actually rideable off-road (250-450cc) are just painful on the highway or on 500 mile rides.

Its always a compromise: Big trailees are not much more than posers off-road. I'm currently stuck with a big trailee (Tiger) which is brilliant on sealed asphalt but no joy past smooth gravel or hard packed fire-roads.

If you ae planning on ADVenture rides, it's just not wise to go solo. It takes at least 2 or more to pick up a downed 500+ lbs. bike, or maneuver out of sand/mud or off a failed hill-climb. Besides there's safety camping in numbers.

I'm trying to get a group of riders together for these type of rides. The closest areas are down in Clear Creek or Mendocino NF. I'm just down the road from you (Walnut Creek). If you're available for a ride, give me a heads up and propose a time/place.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top