• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

New ADV Sled - 2011 DR650SE

Stiffler

Adventure Pig
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Location
Sacramento, CA
Moto(s)
990, Bicycles
Name
Mike
So i've had this 2011 DR650SE since last Wednesday and i've put about 300 miles on it since then. About 100 has been on dirt.

Day I picked it up:
2012-03-23_14-26-45_547.jpg


Down at Folsom Lake for some practice:
2012-03-23_15-11-01_78.jpg


At Prairie City SVRA. Where I found out that the stock bars bend way too easy:
2012-03-24_14-03-10_114.jpg


Mt. Murphy Rd:
2012-03-24_15-40-45_948.jpg

2012-03-24_15-43-05_525.jpg


So far I love this bike. Performance wise it could use a jet kit or a TM40 carb which supposedly makes this bike a beast. I just spent too much $ at http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html and the first round of farkles is on the way:
- 1 1/8" oversized bars that taper out to 7/8" (so I can stand up and reach the controls without being quasimodo)
- Pro Taper Clamps
- WR style pegs that are wider and sit 1 3/4" lower than stock (further quasimodo prevention
- ProCycle skid plate and case armor
- Wolfman front fender bag
- Tire iron wrenches: 19 and 24MM
- 10 pack of Hi-Flo oil filters and magnet

Next round will be the 5.6 gallon Acerbis tank, airbox mod and Twin Air filter, Handguards
:banana:ride
 
Stiffler,

Great choice with the DR and the first mods. We make ProCycle rich;)

Ive got the TM40 installed as of last week and it's a beast now. Probably want to square away the suspension first with a stiffer spring setup. Anyway, congrats on the bike, your breaking her in right:ride
 
the gsxr exhaust mod is also highly recommended.Im still undecided on the rear shock, Cogent or Ricor, since Im probably the lightest Dr 650 owner around..
 
Nice. I think this is on my shortlist of next bikes. I wish I didn't sell my KLR....something a bit shorter like the DR sounds niiiiice.
 
Stiffler,

Great choice with the DR and the first mods. We make ProCycle rich;)

Ive got the TM40 installed as of last week and it's a beast now. Probably want to square away the suspension first with a stiffer spring setup. Anyway, congrats on the bike, your breaking her in right:ride

How was installing the TM40? It looks like the have nice step-by-step on their website. Haha I agree about ProCycle. I talked to Drummond for about 30 minutes when I ordered the stuff. He has a '09 DR650 and we chatted about the best mods to do in what order, places to ride etc. The order shipped 2 hours after I got off the phone with him. It was probably the best experience I've ever had buying moto parts. Cannot recommend ProCycle enough! :thumbup

What spring setups did you go with? I was thinking the Race Tech .50 with the emulators. I weigh 190 with gear and might pack about 25-30 lbs of stuff. :ape
 
the gsxr exhaust mod is also highly recommended.Im still undecided on the rear shock, Cogent or Ricor, since Im probably the lightest Dr 650 owner around..

Hmm what's this GSXR exhaust mod you speak of? I'm intrigued.:nerd What about getting the ProCycle Shock kit? You can choose between a 7.5 and 8.3 spring and you get the Race Tech valve. IDK much about suspension but I was thinkin' this would be a good cheap way to upgrade the rear.
 
Nice. I think this is on my shortlist of next bikes. I wish I didn't sell my KLR....something a bit shorter like the DR sounds niiiiice.

Do it!! You won't regret it. This bike is much more fun in the dirt than the KLR. Buuut you need to do some mods to make it as distance/road worthy as the KLR. If you want one new, Suzuki is doing 0% interest right now on 2011s and 12s. I think it ends the 31st. :Pirate
 
Hmm what's this GSXR exhaust mod you speak of? I'm intrigued.:nerd What about getting the ProCycle Shock kit? You can choose between a 7.5 and 8.3 spring and you get the Race Tech valve. IDK much about suspension but I was thinkin' this would be a good cheap way to upgrade the rear.

Hi only the 01-02 GSXR 1000 will work. The 03 is longer and fatter so the side cover will not fit over it. The GSXR 750 and 600 01-02-03 will work they are the same size but weigh about 1 # more than the 1000 unit.

Jesse

the quote above is from keintech. so you pair the muffler with a mid pipe sold by procycle or keintech, re-jet the stock carb. this mod saves weight and gives a better throttle response. the pumper carb is nice, but keep in mind that burns way more gas. then again, you're getting the bigger tank, so I guess is not an issue....

I don't want to do the rear spring mod, as that limits adjustability, so I would rather go with replacing the whole shock..
 
What spring setups did you go with? I was thinking the Race Tech .50 with the emulators. I weigh 190 with gear and might pack about 25-30 lbs of stuff. :ape

I weigh about 165 and run .47. It's a bit undersprung on bit hits, so .5 sounds about right for your weight. Start with 15W fork oil.
 
I weigh about 165 and run .47. It's a bit undersprung on bit hits, so .5 sounds about right for your weight. Start with 15W fork oil.

What a fun bike!!!!! Super fun in the dirt and somewhat streetable! Just wish I could morph my BMW R1200 GS into that bike in the dirt and have it change back on the street! :teeth
 
What a fun bike!!!!! Super fun in the dirt and somewhat streetable! Just wish I could morph my BMW R1200 GS into that bike in the dirt and have it change back on the street! :teeth

Yeah its fantastic in the dirt! Cant wait to throw some TKCs on there and really see what it can do. So far I have really loved it on the street too. Its probably the last thing on my list but it would be awesome to get SM wheels some day so I can weird people out at the track. :wow Maybe when I sell my R6.
 
The TM40 was a breeze to install, really straight forward instructions. And you are so right about ProCycle, Drum is the man and I cant say enough about their customer service.

Anyway, as far as exhaust goes, you need the gsxr exhaust. No questions, just get your hands on a 2000-2002 gsxr 1000 pipe or gsxr600 pipe. the 1000 is lighter. Then you need to hit up Jesse at www.kientech.com for the mid pipe to attach it to your head pipe. Also, grind the head pipe. There will be a large amount of weld left over inside the header, get rid of it. Open the top of the airbox and please do yourself a favor and get either the tm40 or fcr39 carb. If you go with the fcr, get with mxrob on drriders.com or his website. Get rid of that bst40 POS, and get a pumper carb in the machine. The nice thing about the DR is...well...everything:thumbup
 
The TM40 was a breeze to install, really straight forward instructions. And you are so right about ProCycle, Drum is the man and I cant say enough about their customer service.

Anyway, as far as exhaust goes, you need the gsxr exhaust. No questions, just get your hands on a 2000-2002 gsxr 1000 pipe or gsxr600 pipe. the 1000 is lighter. Then you need to hit up Jesse at www.kientech.com for the mid pipe to attach it to your head pipe. Also, grind the head pipe. There will be a large amount of weld left over inside the header, get rid of it. Open the top of the airbox and please do yourself a favor and get either the tm40 or fcr39 carb. If you go with the fcr, get with mxrob on drriders.com or his website. Get rid of that bst40 POS, and get a pumper carb in the machine. The nice thing about the DR is...well...everything:thumbup

Would this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-OEM-...ies&hash=item20c43f560e&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1012
:teeth
 
Last edited:
It will work. It is not as light as the GSXR1000 pipe but it is way less restrictive than stock and still 8lbs lighter. I have an 02 gsxr600,x35F0x can on mine and it works absolutely fine. The problem is that everyone is looking for the 01-02gsxr1000 x40f0x can, good luck finding one at a reasonable price. Also, make sure you take out the upper chain roller. It serves absolutely no purpose and can only break off to cause trouble. Also you can even use a 03 gsxr1000 can but it is too long and looks weird. Good luck with your search.
 
Dr. Little

I've been planning on setting up a DS bike for the upcoming Sheetiron 300. Inspired by Mondo Enduro and the ADVrider Minimalist Touring thread.

My criteria was:

  • K.I.S.S. on technology: pretty much bulletproof - low maintenance (read agricultural);
  • Weigh less than 300 lbs.
  • Street legal
  • and at a budget (<$1000) where I could just flog the bitch without crying in my beer.

The Good:

I got lucky earlier last week and picked up an operating 'junked' Suzuki DR350 listed on Craigslist (Stockton) for $250! :shocker That's less than the price of the set of Heidenau K60 Scout tires I just threw on my Tiger. The frame number (1994 DR350SE) and 1990 DR250 engine with a Mikuni TM34 Flatside carb did not match, and the seller did not have a title. I did some research on the VIN and tracked down the original owner up in Redding, who filed the 'junked' status in 2003 with DMV. I spent 48-hrs. getting the bits to make her street legal; drafted an affidavit "Statement of Facts' on the DMV form... on Monday DMV granted dual-registration: :applause CA street plates plus Green Sticker! The registration fees almost cost as much as the bike.

'As Is' Highlights:

  • White Brothers Mikuni TM34-2 Flatslide Carb with MotionPro CR Competition throttle
  • Supertrapp E.A.R. muffler (12 discs): tried to quiet down down to 6 discs but ran too rich.
  • Airbox top-cut out. Uni-filter
  • DR350 front forks
  • Maxxis MaxxiCross IT tires
  • Scotts shifter and chain guide

Before.jpg
:thumbdown
Before+2.jpg
Seat.jpg


Phase 1: Meet DOT requirements for Highway use: Installed Moose Racing DOT headlight: $70, Acerbis Tail light: $32, LED rear signals: $13, Tusk racing front signals integrated in handguards: $45. Turn signal relay $15; Horn $7; dual sport mirror: $9; Hydraulic Brake switches: $13 x 2. YTX4L-BS Battery: $24 OEM switches. Speedometer/Odometer (use GPS); Kenda Trackmaster II DOT tires: $103/set (Used my tire irons to manually mount the new tires :kicknuts).

Phase 2: Extend range: Acerbis 4.2 Gal tank: $216 (come's with dual petcocks... probably 250 mile range)

Phase 3: Tune up: Spark plug: $3; Uni-filter; $23; Carburetor jets: $10; Repack muffler: $11; Maxima chain wax: $8

Phase 4: Cosmetics: Polisport front fender: $5 (on sale), Fork Boots: $19 (eBay); Guts Racing seat cover $50 (Lot of work with a staple gun)

After.jpg
:thumbup

The Bad: The Mikuni TM34 in very temperamental. I played with jetting for three days trying to get her tuned as best as I could. Ended up with 30 pilot, 170 main, 6DH2 needle, 389 P-4 needle jet needle. Since I can't seem to tune to use less than 12-discs on the exhaust... rich at the Supertrapp recommended 8 discs, very difficult to start with 6 discs. It's still pretty loud even with a 'quiet core' Environment Acoustic Reduction system.

The Ugly! Cold kick starts on a DR250 is a specific ritual: and an absolute bitch!
 
Last edited:
oh, man, kickstarting the DR series is somethin' else! Having one of those will make a (wo)man of you!

I got a used Cogent shock from ADVrider for my DR650 a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it (in addition to the Eibach .47 springs and 20-weight fork oil in front). I'm 155 or 160, but often pack lotsa gear.

I'm not that skilled or perceptive a rider yet, but I just got back from a 6-day on/off road camping tour, and the compression and rebound feel much tighter, faster and more responsive than they do with the stock shock, especially with a passenger or a good load of gear. It's nice to begin to feel what's happening on that road beneath my wheels, rather than just boinging and bouncing around and hanging on praying that it all works out. :laughing

I rode a buddy's DR650 with the pumper carb and wasn't that impressed, but again, I'm not the most experienced or perceptive rider. I'd also say you should consider the IMS 4.9 gal tank instead of the safari tank--less gas = less weight, and you should get a 200-mile range with the IMS tank, anyhow. Only place I've ever needed more was on the Dalton Highway. A good saddle is a must--Seat Concepts in Hemet does a good basic improvement with your stock seat pan, or there's always Sargent and Renazco. I found the Corbin too heavy, traded it for a low Sargent, and have been happy. And yeah, Procycle will own us all!

I also got the big EBC supermoto front rotor for my gf's DR650 and am about to install it; hoping for some very fine braking performance on that one.
 
(in addition to the Eibach .47 springs and 20-weight fork oil in front).

With emulators or stock forks? I just went to 20W (from 15W) with emulators and I'm finding the compression a bit harsh and reducing front end feel vs the 15W so far on pavement. How do you find the 20W when riding offroad?
 
Stock forks, no emulators. I went straight from the stock (10w?) fork oil and springs, to Eibach springs and 10w, to the 20w when those seals blew, so I have no sense of anything in between; but I feel as if I can do much more in terms of off-road bumpiness than in stock form.

I think that the general ADVrider DR650 thread consensus is that 10w is best with emulators (or the Intiminators, which you've detailed why you don't like). I dunno, maybe you can take a spin on mine sometime and see what you think, if we ever find ourselves in the same county.
 
Back
Top