• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Insurance cost for 750/1000cc sport bike

Depends on how old your bike is also. Pretty much all my bikes are worthless, if I crash them I'll either fix it myself or just get rid of it or use for parts. I also get a discount for having multiple bikes. Here's what I'm paying:

Progressive through USAA:
1992 KLR650 Liability 650cc= $15 year
1997 DR650 Liability 644cc= $20 year
2000 ZR-7 Liability 738cc = $28 year
2016 Empulse TT Full Coverage 1cc (its electric) = $407 Liability = $73

So whether or not your getting full coverage makes a big difference, how old it is, and how big the engine is. You'll probably want full coverage if you riding something new and fancy.
 
Maybe. It really depends on the bike.

Shazam. Thanks for the reality check. :loco

What the heck is a S2R1K - a BMW S1000RR? And please post your agent and amounts of coverage if it is. Because my BMW coverage is much higher and I have another liter bike with the same people that is as much as your total insurance.

Ducati Monster S2R1k, 1000cc V-twin desmodue, "naked bike". Wheelies very nicely.

I have standard Progressive insurance brokered by some schmucks in SoCal someplace. The Ducati costs more than the other three combined. I carry full coverage plus some for "accessories" like helmets and leathers I think up to $3k. Personal medical is minimum because I have really good insurance from work.
 
My GSXR1K is about $120-ish/month for full coverage. But, 35+yo female rider, with a bumper bump within the past 5 years (literally, not even a scratch on his bumper, just some paint swap, but it was a lexus SUV and they replaced the whole damn thing)...but it got counted as a "major" at-fault incident.
 
Believe it or not displacement has less of an affect than the type of bike.

+1. I really wanted a Z1000 but the insurance even for me (I'm kinda old) was extreme. I believe it was higher than my quote for an S1000RR. I was about to go buy the bike actually so I'm really glad I checked!

My ZX10 is about $50/mo. Maybe $60 but no more than that.

My CX500 is $32/year. Yup - 2 bucks and change per month. :teeth


I'm so jealous. I was quoted about 130/mo for the z1k without collision. Ah. I bet our locations has something to do with that.
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing it's a combination of my age, the fact I've had the same insurance policy for over 20 years, insured the bike since new, and I'm over in Reno vs the bay area. No complaints here though.
 
my annual premium for my 04' CBR600RR is $168. its not my primary vehicle. the bulk of my insurance cost is my truck at $863. but ive had my moto license for ~12yrs now, im 31, and i get some crazy discounts through AAA. back when i was new, i was paying ~$1500/yr for that same bike w/ StateFarm IIRC.
 
$360 a yr for my Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 full coverage $500 deductible

Jeebus really? I was quoted $1,400+ for full coverage on my Dorsoduro with a $500 deductible, so I have liability+comp for $400/yr.

Can I ask which agency you use???
 
I'm paying $700 /yr, or $58 /mo for my '15 Z1000 through Allstate. 100/300, 25/50 uninsured motorist, estimated 3,000 miles /yr. I have a lot of discounts though and am in my early thirties with a pretty clean record

I used to have a '03 Aprilia SL1000R Falco and paid ~$250 full coverage for the year. The motorcycle was probably worth about 1/3 of the Z1000, so I can see why there's such a large disparity.
 
The only thing I can say for sure is that it costs a lot more if you're 20 years old than if you're past 60. :afm199

Just wait till your 65! You can offset your insurance costs by paying less at the movies, getting a Natl Park Senior Pass for 10 dollars (lifetime) and of course MUNI for a dollar.
All you have to do is keep riding, and don't die.:afm199
 
There are so many variables here that it's almost impossible to get to a number that will apply to a specific person.

As someone licensed 37 years (not 37 years old :~), male and married, who owns a house and has kids, I carry relatively high coverage amounts (250k/500k/100k), low deductible ($500), uninsured motorist, bodily injury, etc. I also drive each of my 2 bikes less than 7500 miles a year.

I get all the discounts from State Farm (longevity, multiple coverages, good driver, etc.), and it ends up costing me $700/year for each of my bikes, a 2010 KTM 990 SMT and a 2006 KTM 950 Adventure.

My 2007 Ducati ST3, also around 1000cc displacement, cost about the same before I sold it a little over a year ago.

State Farm seems much more interested in the displacement of the bike than the type of bike when it comes to rates. There was no significant difference in insurance cost between my Aprilia Mille R when I had that and my KTM 950 Adventure, despite the huge difference in the type of bikes they were. I'm not sure why that is, but that's my experience.
 
When I first moved to the states, my driving history meant nothing. 41yo at the time, first year was $3500/year for my ducati 1199s.

It dropped to about $1500 I think after the first year.
 
Is this gonna be your first bike?
 
Back
Top