• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Rodr, thanks for the update. Got your boots wet huh? For those that may be riding this for the first time that means water crossings :teeth but don't worry, I believe they were mild ones over bridges, not rocky river crossings,... right? :later

Yes that's correct. :thumbup
 
Hell yeah !! There are single track trails, not alot but there are a few. Most of them are black diamond type, usually up or down not much flat stuff out there. Knoxville favors jeeps and 4X4's more then bikes but there are some fun jeep roads out there just lots of rocks hince the name "Rocksville" find the upper parking lot, there are more roads up there leading off into ???? You'll find alot of dead ends but still fun with some nice views of the Napa Valley. This link will set you up for exploring the area.:thumbup

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04327/ride_f168.htm

Single track behind Lower Camp along Hunters Creek heading West, or follow the signs to Upper Camp:
P1050055.jpg


P1050057.jpg

Rodr, thanks for the update. Got your boots wet huh? For those that may be riding this for the first time that means water crossings :teeth but don't worry, I believe they were mild ones over bridges, not rocky river crossings,... right? :later

Not deep, but the algae makes it slippery.
Zim_Zim_Falls_Road_web.jpg


berrywater.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm gonna miss this one. See y'all on the April ride.
 
Need to run out to Pope Valley tomorrow morning...gonna truck the WR to the parking area at the junction of Pope Canyon Rd and Knoxville (which has some hip nickname I can't remember). Should be able to get there by 10, will chill and look for a group of hooligans on assorted claptrap machinery, then roll out.
 
I was all packed and ready to go to this tomorrow but some family matters came up that's going to keep me tied down all day.
GAHHHH!HHHHH!!!H!!!

See you guys for the April ride.
- Kevin
 
Hey did you guy's loop back around on 16?

I don't know the road #s, but we ate lunch at Cache Creek gas station and went back through the way we came - all the way back to the trucks.

Coming back from Cache Creek I think I saw everyone except Titus. Did everyone make it through to Cache Creek?

I had only one mis-adventure. Returning through Knoxville OHV I missed the turn right before the paved, goat road - and ended up driving somewhere deep into the OHV. It get's a bit odd the further you go in...
 
Last edited:
Made it home with a smile. Had a great time. Sorry didn't say goodby. It was getting late. Decided to head back through Lower Lake with forgot name again on the V-strom. Hope to do another ride with everyone again in April. Scott
 
Not sure how we missed you guys but me and Smokey were bombing around all day. We camped out about 3 miles in from the Northern entrance. Went to the south camp, then the north camp, then the third meetup point by the northern entrance. Ah well.

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/zaphodprefect/knoxville-ohv

We had a good amount of riders. Although it split up in to two groups once we got offroad.

I don't know all the names, but bikes there were:

3xR1200gsa (one may have been R1150)
1xF800gs (I may not have gotten the BMWs right))
SV1000
2xDR650
Suzuki DR750 <---thanks for bringing that!! what a treat!
WR250R
Another Yamaha WR250R? (#246)
KTM 450exc
KTM 350exc (not sure on this one)
XR650 (the one w/o the electric start)
Beta something :)
 
Last edited:
Thanks for letting me tag along once again. Living in Davis makes it too easy to wimp out and just ride home once we get to Hwy 16....so that's what I did

Here's a morning photo when all the bikes were clean......and everyone was....ahem....DRY.

IMG_0326_zps7c97f201.jpg


And, yeah, the DR750 is mine. I quite like it.

IMG_0220.jpg
 
I don't know the road #s, but we ate lunch at Cache Creek gas station and went back through the way we came - all the way back to the trucks.

Coming back from Cache Creek I think I saw everyone except Titus. Did everyone make it through to Cache Creek?

Yeah we did:thumbup...big bikes took it slow...kudos to Scott (DR650) and Ray (DRBIG:teeth) for doubling back to help the bmw riders :thumbup I figured you guys on the ds bikes were at cache creek and waited at the bridge for a while but then departed w Scott and doubled back on pavement...16N to 20E to 53 and then back thru Knox-berryessa rd...reverse route minus the dirt...sounds like we just missed you guys.

All I can say is fuck - what a ride:wtf:wtf. I wish I had the word smithing skills of woodschick or nemo...I have never ridden such a demanding piece of dirt as that back half of Rayhouse Rd. Waaayy too many pucker moments on my big vstrom...I would say it was 5x as difficult as anything last summer...fields (not just patches) of loose rock the size of baseballs, many many more deep ruts in the midst of the loose stuff:mad - and it just didn't end. I was amazed that i did not bin the vstrom...but i had numerous bucking bronco "oh fuck" moments where by the grace of god I got through a mess still upright...what I would have given for a smaller/lighter dualsport!!! Double kudos to some of the GS riders that were new to dirt...that was NOT noob friendly today...props for making it through - come back in the summer when its been packed down a bit by the 4wd trucks...it can really be nice ride on a big adv bike :thumbup

So when I got home tonight I dug through my wine rack for a particular bottle of Aussie red - and I found it - The Ball Buster. :twofinger Fitting ending to a wild day.

As always, great to ride with you guys...glad everyone returned aokay...and remember the rash on the bike just adds character :twofinger

See you guys next month :teeth


T
 
I have never ridden such a demanding piece of dirt as that back half of Rayhouse Rd. Waaayy too many pucker moments on my big vstrom...I would say it was 5x as difficult as anything last summer...fields (not just patches) of loose rock the size of baseballs, many many more deep ruts in the midst of the loose stuff:mad - and it just didn't end.


So I guess the gate is open now. I was up there last month looking past the gate and wondering how bad the road was past the gate.. Now I know...

Glad you kept it upright..

Sounds like a great day..
 
I don't know the road #s, but we ate lunch at Cache Creek gas station and went back through the way we came - all the way back to the trucks.

Coming back from Cache Creek I think I saw everyone except Titus. Did everyone make it through to Cache Creek?

I had only one mis-adventure. Returning through Knoxville OHV I missed the turn right before the paved, goat road - and ended up driving somewhere deep into the OHV. It get's a bit odd the further you go in...

I saw a group of duel sport bikes come up out of a camp/rest area on 16 and then turned off at the Casino, if it was you guy's I was the bike in front of you.
 
Not a botanist..but like to look around

So I guess the gate is open now.

The gate was closed....but the lock was attached only to the gate and NOT to the post.

Close inspection by the first few guys there found that a gentle push was all that was required. Possibly the people up there push the gate closed to discourage those with less curiousity....or possibly to give some the excuse not to venture into the more difficult sections.

Glad we looked closer as it was a very nice ride.

For anyone into plants, there is an entire slope of California Buckeye trees on the climb up from the dam (heading east).

url_zps160f79ec.jpeg


The trees are just leafing out now but in about a week or so they will be filled with large white blossoms. As the day warms up they fill the canyon with a very nice odor.

Right at this point:

3521172796_zps26456b69.jpeg


....and for someone else who asked about the red bushes (sorry don't remember who) they are Western Redbud

url-1_zps09287479.jpeg




....Also, for those with the bigger bikes that are easier on the pavement and have more fuel range, There is a pretty easy ride that goes north from the crossroads (the 4 way intersection at the top of the hill). This goes along the ridge to the old raft launching point. It's mainly dirt (none of those slippery rock gardens) but, again has not been maintained for 3 or 4 seasons since the commercial raft company quit (due to Yolo Co. not maintaining the bridge over Cache Creek).

IMG_0289.jpg


Anyway...since the climb up from Hwy 16 (heading west) is much more big bike friendly, I was thinking that a ride coming up from the west side and then going down to the old raft launching point for a outdoor lunch (bring you own food, wilderness bathrooms) would be fun for the big bikes. The climb back out from the raft launch point is a bit steep but should not be too bad.

If there's any interest in doing something like this I can scout out the ridge road/climb-out to make certain the bigger bikes can make it without trauma.

Probably sometime in the next 3-4 weeks would be optimal since things seem to be drying up really fast up there.
 
Last edited:
Anyway...since the climb up from Hwy 16 (heading west) is much more big bike friendly, I was thinking that a ride coming up from the west side and then going down to the old raft launching point for a outdoor lunch (bring you own food, wilderness bathrooms) would be fun for the big bikes. The climb back out from the raft launch point is a bit steep but should not be too bad.

If there's any interest in doing something like this I can scout out the ridge road/climb-out to make certain the bigger bikes can make it without trauma.

Probably sometime in the next 3-4 weeks would be optimal since things seem to be drying up really fast up there.

Sounds like fun, I'd be up for that. Was going to come out yesterday but woke up feeling like crap (cold).
 
....Also, for those with the bigger bikes that are easier on the pavement and have more fuel range, There is a pretty easy ride that goes north from the crossroads (the 4 way intersection at the top of the hill). This goes along the ridge to the old raft launching point. It's mainly dirt (none of those slippery rock gardens) but, again has not been maintained for 3 or 4 seasons since the commercial raft company quit (due to Yolo Co. not maintaining the bridge over Cache Creek).
[...]
Anyway...since the climb up from Hwy 16 (heading west) is much more big bike friendly, I was thinking that a ride coming up from the west side and then going down to the old raft launching point for a outdoor lunch (bring you own food, wilderness bathrooms) would be fun for the big bikes. The climb back out from the raft launch point is a bit steep but should not be too bad.

If there's any interest in doing something like this I can scout out the ridge road/climb-out to make certain the bigger bikes can make it without trauma.

Probably sometime in the next 3-4 weeks would be optimal since things seem to be drying up really fast up there.

Is this what you mean?

[gmap]<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rd+40%2FRayhouse+Rd&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FS62UQIdcrq1-A%3BFSYUUgIdabe0-A&sll=38.930905,-122.37555&sspn=0.02654,0.041585&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=38.906664,-122.341175&spn=0.064119,0.109863&z=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Rd+40%2FRayhouse+Rd&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FS62UQIdcrq1-A%3BFSYUUgIdabe0-A&sll=38.930905,-122.37555&sspn=0.02654,0.041585&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=38.906664,-122.341175&spn=0.064119,0.109863&z=13" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/gmap]
 
Is this what you mean?

Yes it is.

It's that last 1.5 inches of squiggly line that I'm not too certain about for the big bikes considering the un-maintained state of the road.

I can scout it out on the DRZ to see if the difficulty level is too high for big tralies with street(ish) tires.
 
Good fun yesterday, thanks for letting me tag along. Nice assortment of cool people on interesting bikes. As you could probably tell I haven't ridden much dirt since I was a kid, but I had a good time. I even developed a new custom bend for my handlebars...
 
Back
Top