• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

rodr - I decided to order a PLB today. I wonder if a little ham radio would have the power to transmit in some of these remote locales?

The key would be to hit a repeater. That gets you much improved range plus a likely audience. Range also improves dramatically with your elevation. See this for repeaters near any area of interest:

http://www.levinecentral.com/repeaters/google_mapping_distance.php

Select 2m and 70cm which are what most popular handhelds will support.

EDIT: To give you an example, I can reach the repeaters on Mt. Diablo from Fairfield, a distance of about 30 miles, with my little FT-60 handheld.
 
Last edited:
Cool link Rod, but when I'm searching it's not listing a lot of the repeaters I know are around. I'll play with it some.
A handheld can indeed do well especially if you get up high. When I'm in Cobb, CA my HT can hit a repeater in Ukiah that is 34 miles as th ecrow flies without a straight line of sight. It's scratchy but it works.

I'll have to take my HT out next time im on Reif Rd and try it out.

I like the NARCC - Northern Amateur Radio Council of California They have great lists of repeaters by area and band plan. I copy them to my note pad on my smart device.
http://www.narcc.org/
 
Try also repeaterbook.com, I think it's more accurate (just doesn't have a nice map like levinecentral.com does). What's really cool is they have an excellent app for Android and iPhone that will show repeaters near wherever you are, and doesn't require a data connection to do so.
 
If the May ride is normally scheduled for May 11, I'll point out that the 11th is Mother's Day.

Any thoughts on moving the ride up one day to Saturday the 10th. Didn't we do that last year?

Anyways...went up to check on Sand Creek Rd (Rd 41) today. Gate is open. Here are a few quick photos

Climbing up from Cache Creek:

0505141339-00_zps36a23d5d.jpg


View of Capay Valley from the top:

0505141340-00_zpsf64108da.jpg


Through the canyon(ish) bit:

0505141347-00_zps8e356adc.jpg


Flat and fast out to Arbuckle: (There's fuel in Arbuckle)

0505141351-00_zps16920cb1.jpg


So...thoughts on Mom's Day...yeah, I know, if I was a real man I'd go anyway but I'll bit the bullet and do brunch with the woman instead.
 
Sweet bike! There is a good chance I'll be there on Saturday. Just not 100% sure yet.
 
I might trailer the 450x up to Knoxville again then do Reiff and back... Not taking Rd 41 this round, but want to eventually... I'll take the DR650 for that. If you want to sometime do Rd 41 with me then my tank will have enough fuel for the both of us :ride
 
Have fun out there, kiddies. I am out of town this weekend (and my 690 is inop at the moment :| )
 
The awesomemobile has some less than awesome engine issues. Time to tear into it and see what's up. Wish I had a bit more spare time. :laughing

No big deal. I would do the dirty portion of the ride on my 200 if I were around this weekend.
 
Awwww, that sucks. Do you think it's something the previous owner was aware of?
 
Likely not. This bike has around 9K on it, but at least half of those miles are dirt riding. 4K+ of dirt miles is A LOT of hours of intense heat, etc.

My money is on the rocker arms. If I'm right, I just hope that they haven't managed to cause too much damage to other bits. I won't know for sure until I pull the motor apart and poke around. I got a good enough deal on the bike that I'm not too upset about this.
 
Rocker arms? Really? I assumed the motor had shims and buckets like the 990
 
One of these days I really should come out with you guys on this. The GSA hasn't gotten much off road use in the past couple of years. :cry
 
Will there be any noobs this weekend? I've never done this ride but keep following the thread. I'm on a 'Strada 1200 S with street tires. If it's just dirt road I'm sure I can go slow and manage but don't want to be a pain in the rear of everyone else.
 
I wish I could go this weekend. The weather should be great. CRYA, the strada will be fine, and you can always turn around if it gets dicey. We've had Triumph Thruxtons do this ride, so the strada will not be the limiting factor. As for noobs on the ride, I'm not sure that there will be any. Hopefully, folks who are going will chime in on that part.
 
Any agreement on the date yet?

Saturday ??


OR


Sunday ??

But if the ride is Sunday....I'm out due to Mom's day commitment.

I'm always happy to ride sweep or show the newer guys around. No problem. It's not a difficult ride and everyone who does it seems to enjoy it.

Hwy 16 From RD40 (where we hit pavement again) to Cache Creek Fuel......17 miles

Hwy 16 from RD 40 to RD 41 5 miles...RD 41 to Fuel in Arbuckle....20 miles for a 25 mile total.
 
Last edited:
Is it still accurate that you guys hit Poser's around 9:45? I'm in Napa and would catch the group there if I make it!
 
Back
Top