• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

I think Corb is his BARF s/n. I'm not %100. Raul?

If so, Yeah, I'm trying to talk him into joining us for the weekend. He's the brother of a girl I am friends with, so we actually haven't met each other yet.

Yeah that's him, I somehow got your conversation with him on my fb page so figured you were one of the two camping this weekend. He's very cool and a very good rider as well railin' on his drz sm in dirt and street.

Hope the weather holds for your campout, should be a blast. As for locations how about that spot where the waterfall is in Seavoyage's pictures of Knoxville? I've never been there but would like to ride by it this Sunday if it's close.
 
Broke a bolt off in the WR's clutch cover yesterday while changing the oil/screwing around...assuming I can extract it I'll be along for my first ever BARF ride, meeting everyone at Crossroads. Hopefully this group is as crazy as it sounds.

Any word on the Reiff/Rayhouse gate?

Welcome BrianF, sorry to hear about your clutch cover bolt. You WERE screwing around since I don't think you need to touch it to change your oil right? :laughing Hope you get it done before Sunday so you can ride.
Oh and we're not half as crazy as we sound, this is actually a pretty mellow ride but fun as heck and challenging to prep the bike for the best of both worlds in the dirt and street twisties.

Where is the Crossroads?
 
Welcome BrianF, sorry to hear about your clutch cover bolt. You WERE screwing around since I don't think you need to touch it to change your oil right? :laughing Hope you get it done before Sunday so you can ride.
Oh and we're not half as crazy as we sound, this is actually a pretty mellow ride but fun as heck and challenging to prep the bike for the best of both worlds in the dirt and street twisties.

Where is the Crossroads?

You're right :teeth...I was doing the "hey this bike's new, I wonder what's inside??" move. Had the whole thing off, just poking around and flashlighting. Put it all back together and the last bolt I torqued popped right off. Too deep to dremel the tip, and too small for all the extractors I had. Got a new, small one and will do it tonight (fingers crossed).

Oh and Crossroads is here: N 38 26.764 W 122 11.767 (meeting point 1).
 
CAUTION! on the multiple water crossings on the North end of Lake Berryessa - even chance you will go down

I just need to find two trees for my Hammock. Pretty excited to try it out. Hoping I'm not regretting not getting a tent. It was just too attractive to not have to carry a tent and a sleeping pad...frees up a ton of weight and space not to mention the cost savings!

We just strap our hammocks on the concrete pillars of the 2 sheds in Lower Camp (N 38 48.518 W 122 22.502). Lower Camp has porta-potties, camp firepits, and a stream if you have water filtration.

attachment.php


P1050066.jpg

@ Z - we prefer hammocks but they don't provide insulation beneath you, so we still use an air matress in the hammock. I have a Gore-tex bivvy for rain, and the hammock keeps us off the ground (flooding, snakes, etc.). We don't use tents in the jungle away from base camp: tents are just extra weight. Ditto for cooking pots, etc.

2012-06-10_14-12-34_288.jpg

Where is the Crossroads?

Yes, that's Poser's AKA Crossroads Checkpoint 1 http://g.co/maps/kwv7w

April7th2012AdventureRide053.jpg

As for locations how about that spot where the waterfall is in Seavoyage's pictures of Knoxville? I've never been there but would like to ride by it this Sunday if it's close.

From Lower Camp AKA Hunting Creek Camp (N 38 48.521 W 122 22.500) , find the waterfall (N 38 48.157 W 122 23.170). Go to the back of the camp, there is single track going west 200 meters on the south bank of the creek, or ride the creek. http://g.co/maps/ttjz6 Link to Satellite Imagery with overlay showing Waterfall and Lower Camp

57ee11fe270d44c2b90e58573f954d6b.jpg

Get amped for Sunday!
[YOUTUBE]TraN8gSwKWw[/YOUTUBE]​
 
Last edited:
You're right :teeth...I was doing the "hey this bike's new, I wonder what's inside??" move. Had the whole thing off, just poking around and flashlighting. Put it all back together and the last bolt I torqued popped right off. Too deep to dremel the tip, and too small for all the extractors I had. Got a new, small one and will do it tonight (fingers crossed).

Oh and Crossroads is here: N 38 26.764 W 122 11.767 (meeting point 1).

Hahahahahahahaha I remember doing that to my Hodaka ace 100 in my mother's patio. Took off my side cover wondering what was inside....a whole bunch of dirty oil that's what. At least you're grown up enough to admit it, took me 40 years to admit to doing that, thanks for that, I feel so liberated now. Let's see what's inside this smartphone :)
 
Hahahahahahahaha I remember doing that to my Hodaka ace 100 in my mother's patio. Took off my side cover wondering what was inside....a whole bunch of dirty oil that's what. At least you're grown up enough to admit it, took me 40 years to admit to doing that, thanks for that, I feel so liberated now. Let's see what's inside this smartphone :)

I'm here to help...

Curiousity gets the best of me every time. The good news is I drilled it, ez-outed the remains, torqued everything, oiled up, and rode around my vineyard in the dark. No explosions, but I did hit a slippery spot going around a grassy turn and fell right down. See ya on Sunday.
 
Oh and thank you Seavoyage and BrianF for those coordinates to the location of the Crossroads and the waterfall. I'll just plug those right into my 8 year old gps and motor right on up to the spot, or pull out my divining rod and point it at the ground to see if it starts to vibrate and pull me in the right direction. :twofinger
 
Oh and thank you Seavoyage and BrianF for those coordinates to the location of the Crossroads and the waterfall. I'll just plug those right into my 8 year old gps and motor right on up to the spot, or pull out my divining rod and point it at the ground to see if it starts to vibrate and pull me in the right direction. :twofinger

Would you like a signal fire?

We can both carry flare guns, when you fire yours we can fire ours. :rofl

ta838.jpg


This might be a viable option!
 
Would you like a signal fire?

We can both carry flare guns, when you fire yours we can fire ours. :rofl

ta838.jpg


This might be a viable option!

Nice signalkabobber, looks like a couple pieces are missing though.... by chance did you buy this from BrianF? :twofinger
 
Sid/Drew,
Someone asked if there are single track trails in Knoxville?
 
Hell yeah !! There are single track trails, not alot but there are a few. Most of them are black diamond type, usually up or down not much flat stuff out there. Wish I was riding this weekend but I'm still waiting for my forks to arrive via UPS. Knoxville favors jeeps and 4X4's more then bikes but there are some fun jeep roads out there just lots of rocks hince the name "Rocksville" find the upper parking lot, there are more roads up there leading off into ???? You'll find alot of dead ends but still fun with some nice views of the Napa Valley. This link will set you up for exploring the area.:thumbup

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04327/ride_f168.htm
 
Thanks Sid, Black Diamond huh? Good for my friends, bad for me.

Will have to see you on the next one then.
 
It's an adventure Dean, go as far as you feel comfortable when it gets to tuff or scary stop, turn around and head back.:wtf Seriously thats how we push our comfort levels and get used to tougher and rougher terrain, just ride with the 21" and 18" wheels and all is good. Hopefully Reif Rd(rd40) is open and you guys get threw to Cach Creek that is a blast of a road. For those of you who have not hit Rd 41 to Winters your missing another awesome rd easier then Reif Rd but longer. The first 1/4 part up the hill is a little tough with all the 4X4 ruts but after that.....smooth sailin:ride Well enjoy the ride Barfers and untill next time keep your wheels on the ground and your feet on the pegs:blah
 
Hey all - I'm in for Sunday:twofinger

Just got, done buttoning up the vstrom...the new Pro Taper dirt bars are awesome :thumbup And a new shinko rear tire with tread on it :teeth

Sid - sorry we will miss you, hopefully next time :thumbup

See you all at the Cordelia sbucks!


T
 
CAUTION! on the multiple water crossings on the North end of Lake Berryessa - even chance you will go down

I was up there with two others 3 weeks ago. Got my boots wet 3-4 times but nobody had any trouble.

Someday I'll manage to ride with y'all. :thumbup
 
It's an adventure Dean, go as far as you feel comfortable when it gets to tuff or scary stop, turn around and head back.:wtf Seriously thats how we push our comfort levels and get used to tougher and rougher terrain, just ride with the 21" and 18" wheels and all is good. Hopefully Reif Rd(rd40) is open and you guys get threw to Cach Creek that is a blast of a road. For those of you who have not hit Rd 41 to Winters your missing another awesome rd easier then Reif Rd but longer. The first 1/4 part up the hill is a little tough with all the 4X4 ruts but after that.....smooth sailin:ride Well enjoy the ride Barfers and untill next time keep your wheels on the ground and your feet on the pegs:blah

Thanks Sid, problem is with one of the friends coming with me this time, he likes the black diamond stuff, the blacker the better and whenever the going gets rough and I plead like a little baby to turn around he gives me that look of patheticness and says "it'll get better once we clear this hill" but it never does. You know, kind of like how you look at me sometimes too, but a little nicer :rofl

Rodr, thanks for the update. Got your boots wet huh? For those that may be riding this for the first time that means water crossings :teeth but don't worry, I believe they were mild ones over bridges, not rocky river crossings,... right? :later

switching to dirt wheels
bwwaatckwopwopwwotrufowopwopspicksiss (the sound the Transformers make when transforming)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top