• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

car totaled, errant drive has no insurance

Dont know if you are still looking for a car. I have a Dodge Intrepid 1997 for sale. $3000.
Let me know. :)
Sorry to hear what happened. :(
 
Sorry to hear about that and hope the Mrs. feels better soon. I hope the license information on the guy is correct. If it is, that's all you need. Start a claim and your uninsured motorist coverage should pay. I think you had mentioned that the idiot had his mother with him or something, but I was told that if the person is living at home with parents, then the parents are liable up until he/she is 25 years old, unless they get married. If the parents own a house, then there you go! Hope this helps. I was just rear ended by an uninsured back in July and the UM coverage paid off. Good luck!
 
Check your insurance policy. Unfortunately, I think uninsured motorist coverage only covers medical bills. Unless you have collision coverage, they will not pay for your car.
 
Bummer, but I remember a guy here on BARF selling his Integra for $1500 obo. I saw the post as recently as yesterday, maybe he still has it?
 
I was in a hit and run, and my uninsured motorist paid for medical, fixing the car, and rental. All you need is his info or even license plate number, i got the guys plate down and insurance took care of everything all i had to do was drop off and pick up my car. If that doesnt work isnt there something the law can do, the guy broke the law and he needs to pay.
 
Eman said:
I was in a hit and run, and my uninsured motorist paid for medical, fixing the car, and rental. All you need is his info or even license plate number, i got the guys plate down and insurance took care of everything all i had to do was drop off and pick up my car. If that doesnt work isnt there something the law can do, the guy broke the law and he needs to pay.


I was rear ended by an parolee without license, insurane, and had beer on his breathe . :loser He wanted to settle out of insurance and had his buddy stick up for him. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and faxed him the estimate, somewhere around $700. He never responded and on the 9th day I reported it. The insurance started a claim and I was paid through UM in around three weeks for much more than my estimate.:thumbup The insurance adjuster's estimate was higher than the body shop's, so now the insurance will sue the fucker for more!! Haha. :laughing
 
Hey eastbay, if nothing else works out, let me know. I'll drive my car up from LA (not using it now, since I commute on bike) and you can borrow it for as long as ya need. Not the best solution, but there if ya need it.
--Joe
 
I got hit by an unisured driver while driving my inlaws car , ended up suing my inlaws insurance company for med bills. Hope everything turns out well for you and your family.
I do also have a 96 nissan sentra for sale, great condition and loaded for 3000.00 I could work out deal also.
good luck
 
I got hit by a hit and run driver

one day while on my ex's old ex500, maybe worth 1000$. Guy got away scot free. I had a broken collar bone and the bike was totaled. The uninsured underinsured coverage that I had on my van covered me on her bike and I walked away with 4000$ for time off work 2000$ for all hospital expences 6000$ for pain and suffering and inconvinience and my ex got 1800$ for the ninja. And I didn't go after the insurance company or anything. If the vehicle was covered with unin underin then you should be ok.
 
Wow…hella responses! Cool! I want to thank everyone who responded & thank you for all the kind words.

Update: My wife was not feeling well last night, & having a little trouble breathing. Called her doc & he says come back to the hospital for more diagnosis; so back to Kaiser we go. Turns out the swollen neck from the whiplash was constricting her larynx (sp?), so that’s why she was having trouble breathing. She’s showing/having some post-concussive symptoms as well so she was briefly knocked out too.

They did a cat scan & more x-rays & didn’t find any major problems. SHEW!! We both are feeling VERY relieved now. This is scary stuff for me; I’ve broken countless bones from bike bails (5 hit-&-runs), & that’s nothing. However having my sweetie of 20+ years hurt really gets to me…..sniff. Pain from bike bails is one thing, having your wife hurt really, really, shook me up...

We still have a ways to go before we decide what to do about a car, but if we don’t get it fixed I will be considering all offers here, thank you all again. Turns out (luckily) when I dropped full coverage a few years ago when the cars value fell to nothing, I did retain uninsured/underinsured coverage, so looks like the repairs would normally be covered. But as the repairs are more than the cars worth, they will likely total it. Adjuster is coming over today to look & take pics.

Nighthawk454 said:
Hey eastbay, if nothing else works out, let me know. I'll drive my car up from LA (not using it now, since I commute on bike) and you can borrow it for as long as ya need. Not the best solution, but there if ya need it.
--Joe

I especially want to thank Nighthawk454 who even offered his car (above) as a loner. That’s above & beyond dude, you’re selfless noble offer is flat awesome. You see, sometimes BARF works!!! Joe, I don’t think that will be necessary, but a big thank you anyway. You are a prime example of what good people are like…I wish there were more peeps like you in this world.

Finally, I have contacted BARF’s own Baptistro, so we now have pro help there (thank you John!) Although things are still pretty bad for us, all the offers of help are really helpful (you guys don’t know how much!) After getting good news from the docs, pro help, & all your kind offers both the wifie & I am very relieved & things are starting to look up. We’re still in a bit of a bind, but all the offers of help have really lightened up what was a very disheartening/depressing mood for both of us.

More updates when we know more; probably sometime next week.

THANK YOU ALL! :teeth

Dave
 
Thundercat 600R said:
Sorry about this man wish I had a car to sell you... Nice to see the system working for you:rolleyes

:( ditto

*edit* finished and read about wife's wiplash. scary stuff. hope she feels better soon. seems like good news about having the uninsur motorist insur and BARF rocks ;) with tons of cool people on the board.

ps hope you get that BASTARD who rearended your wife's car. that would make one less idiot on the road.
 
Last edited:
Here's to a quick recovery to your wife.

Keep us posted. Hope the adjuster can put a check in your hands today. If not sick John on him. :laughing

Let me just say again..... BARF ROCKS!!!!!!!! :thumbup
 
Glad to hear all is looking on the up and up. Word of the wise, keep on your claims adjuster, they have a tendancy to put shit aside and it piles up, trust me on this one !!!

Keep us posted and wish your wife the best for me !!! :teeth
 
adjuster came by Fri. & offered a lousy $2.8K on what was, an immaculate car...I'm pissed....Can't buy much w/$2800 these days...

The insurance co. is also saying we should have got an accident report (cuz my wife was injured), we called, but they (chp) never showed up.

Is there a way to get a police report AFTER the fact?
 
yes it should be fine, when I got my car broken into and no units could show up, I gave a police report a couple days later over the phone. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same here.

the dispatch should have a record of your call also.
 
Back
Top