• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Childhood jobs - What did you have?

I took a neighbour for a drive a few days ago in my Golf R on Sierra Road and Calaveras road through some very cool twisties. He asked me if I fish. He is muslim. I told him I used to. "Why did you stop?" I don't like killing things. The thought of the hook gouging through the fish's face disgusts me. He asked if I am vegetarian; I am not, although I eat very little meat from the hoof. He asked how that is different? I didn't kill the pig or cow that I recently ate, and yes, I know where they come from and how they are processed. I spent a summer in a small South Dakota town abbatoir; I have butchered (but not killed) many pigs and cows. And a snapping turtle. What an ugly beast...... Call me soft, I don't give a fish's or a rat's ass. Now, on to a nice fish dinner.
 
Last edited:
Fish and animals of all kinds have been food for man since the beginning of time. And that will never change. But we should respect what they give us and not harm them any more that what's necessary.
 
Pomegranate juice and gut health.

Or gut distress.

Holy shit, (literally and figuratively), I have decided to start drinking pomegranate juice for its antioxidant and other beneficial effects (yes, I know I will not live forever). Holy raise the sheets, and flush out the gut. I awoke to a symphony this morning. The cat ran away; I don't blame him. Wow. I haven't experienced gas like this since my wife tried to kill me with Halupki when we were first married. A friend is touting the beneficial effects of pineapple juice, I have decided on another path. After 2 days of Pom pomegranate juice (8 oz. per day), I think I might rival Valgar with his epsom salts story. Let's see how long I can keep it up, or keep my undies clean....... Some of you may want to unsubscribe. Ah, the joys of retired life! :ROFLMAO:

Oh, sorry for the thread derail. Sincerely...... Redirect or remove this is you must mods, and apologies if needed.
 
Last edited:
Am I able to move threads 43 and 45 to a more appropriate forum?
 
Holy shit, (literally and figuratively), I have decided to start drinking pomegranate juice for its antioxidant and other beneficial effects (yes, I know I will not live forever). Holy raise the sheets, and flush out the gut. I awoke to a symphony this morning.
If you think THAT'S somthing, wait till you try a large dose of ascorbic acid mixed in water. It's THE cleanout of cleanouts...
 
I started baby sitting at age 10. I was a super mature and responsible kid and my mom’s friends loved how cheap I was compared to an adult.

I helped with gardening work for two of mom’s other friends at their rentals. Mowed lawns. Helped clean up apartments after their tenants moved. Mucked horse stalls and fields in return for saddle time at a local stable.

First W2 job was washing dishes at the Blue Mountain Cafe.
 
Started babysitting when I was 8, sold seeds door to door for a summer when I was 10. At 13 I waitressed at the local cafe, better pay than babysitting, but someone complained about my age and it was back to babysitting. The summers of my sophomore-senior years I worked at a local pop-up greenhouse. Hot as hell but I was the only employee and had the run of the place. Took the love of plants and worked at floral shops thoughout college. During holiday breaks I would help out at the insurance company my mom worked at - scanning all the files to microfiche. Had a short stint at Fargo Rubber Stamp where I made buttons and ribbons for horse shows and did the occasional screen print.
 
At 10 I was cutting Apricots with my grandmother in a metal shed somewhere near Evergreen San Jose. I was making money to buy Gameboy games

16-18 I setup inflatable jump houses and worked at the local Mexican restaurant.
 
Forgot all about this...

Anyone have to get permission to work from school? Child labor laws demand. Work permits.
Vaguely remember those. Also remember permission slips to be excused from school for harvest and hunting
 
Forgot all about this...

Anyone have to get permission to work from school? Child labor laws demand. Work permits.
The restaurant often told me they couldn’t wait until I turned 14 and could get a work permit so I could legally be there. I don’t recall getting one though.
 
I just remembered that I used to work at my high school to help pay my tuition. I worked after school and on Saturdays. One of the many things I did was to maintain the school buses.
 
Never got a work permit either.
Wish I could remember how and why I ended up at Sizzler.

One of my schoolmates parents came the same evening every week.
Mr. Bisacca would slide a quarter my way as I bussed their dishes.

"This is for you Dennis"
 
Paper route... started on my bike, moved up to the car later.
 
Weird, never knew we needed those. Worked at Konocti Harbor's gas dock for a summer at age 15 and they never asked. Then again, being managed by The Mob has it's upsides...
 
Back
Top