• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Dual-sport recommendations?

How about this 450cc candidate? Street-legal, CRMO frame, 6-speed wide ratio, EFI, Kick & electric start, 6.3 gal fuel tank, WP Suspension, Electric Roadbook/GPS, 247 lbs?

Mecasystem530newoption_1.jpg

Interesting. Heavier and cheaper than the WR250R. Made in Thailand with a steel frame perhaps?

Where was your CRF250L, KLR250, KLR650, Husqvarna TE449, TE511, BMW G450X or G650X manufactured and/or assembled? (Check the VIN)

If we agree the quality on these models built in Rayong,Thailand, or engines manufactured by Kymco (Taiwan) are acceptable or of good quality, then we can logically infer that the other high end products and OEM replacement parts designed for export to US and European markets are of similar quality. Thread on cloned CRF450X

Do you really know where your bike was built?
Aaron Frank said:
Worldwide Web: Thai Triumphs, Brazilian BMWs, Italian Hondas…

Globalization has already turned auto manufacturing upside-down. America’s Big Three all assemble vehicles in Mexico and Canada, while Honda, Nissan and Toyota build the bulk of their trucks (and many cars) on American soil, creating a bizarre scenario where Japanese brands are sometimes the more patriotic choice. Though few realize it, the situation in the motorcycle industry is almost as mixed-up. Familiar motorcycles are increasingly manufactured in unfamiliar places, as harsh economic realities, just-in-time production demands and byzantine import regulations drive manufacturers to relocate production facilities to far-flung places in order to cut costs.

Ducati and MV Agusta—two of our industry’s most fiercely nationalistic brands—recently announced intentions to establish operations outside Italy: Ducati in Thailand and MV Agusta in Brazil. Both facilities will build complete-knock-down (CKD) kits—bikes manufactured in Italy but assembled in the destination market to avoid massive import tariffs that in some cases can more than double the price of a complete bike. Harley-Davidson similarly uses CKD assembly to make its American-made products more accessible to buyers in the emergent markets of Brazil and India.

Ducati is just the latest OEM to open shop in Thailand. Lower costs, high production quality and more efficient delivery to India, Africa and Europe are fast making Thailand not just an assembler, but also a top manufacturer of streetbikes. The newly released Honda CBR250R is made in Thailand, along with Kawasaki’s Ninja 250R, Ninja 650R and its derivatives, and the KLR650. Triumph is also active in Thailand, currently operating three manufacturing facilities there in addition to its two UK factories. The British firm opened its first Thai factory in 2002 as a lower-cost sourcing base for frames, fuel tanks, engine covers and other major components. A second facility, housing a wet painting facility and assembly line, was opened in ’06, followed by the third in ’07. These three operations now employ more than 800 persons, manufacturing primarily Bonneville twins and 675 triples.

BMW has likewise embraced global production. The Bavarian brand builds select 650cc and 800cc machines exclusively for the Brazilian market in Brazil, and also has a relationship with Taiwanese manufacturer Kymco to supply the single-cylinder BMW/Husqvarna 450cc enduro engines. BMW General Director Hendrik von Kuenheim told Motorcyclist’s European Correspondent Alan Cathcart earlier this year that the company might also consider locating some motorcycle production in India, where the firm already builds automobiles for the Asian market. German production is important on high-end BMW models, he said, but India could be acceptable for more price-sensitive products from BMW’s resurgent Husqvarna subsidiary. It’s worth noting that BMW’s Austrian neighbor, KTM, is 40 percent owned by India’s Bajaj Motors, and its new 125 Duke is entirely manufactured on the Indian subcontinent.

This rapid rise of operations in Asia and Latin America comes on the heels of Honda and Kawasaki discontinuing motorcycle production in America, pointing to the increased importance of these emerging markets and a decline in American influence. Honda ended an era in ’09 when it ceased motorcycle production at its Marysville, Ohio, plant. Opened in 1979, the Marysville factory turned out as many as 50,000 bikes—mostly Gold Wings and cruisers intended for American buyers—annually at its peak. Kawasaki also ceased cruiser and touring-bike production at its Lincoln, Nebraska and Maryville, Missouri plants in ’06, to make room for increased ATV production capacity. Both brands build nearly all of their ATV products in America—as do Yamaha and Suzuki—reflecting the fact that the vast majority of global ATV sales are to this country. All motorcycle production has been transferred back to the home countries, leaving Harley-Davidson and Victory as the only truly American-made motorcycles.

Global production realities make it increasingly difficult to say where any motorcycle is made today—especially since American Harley-Davidsons, British Triumphs and Italian Ducatis all use suspension, electronics, brakes and other components that come from a constantly changing lineup of suppliers around the world. And it’s ultimately irrelevant, as newly built production facilities in the developing world are more modern and sophisticated than existing facilities in America, Europe or Japan, and usually monitored by on-site quality-control managers employed by the OEMs. From an enthusiast’s perspective, nearly every motorcycle is better built, better performing and a better value than at any point in recent history—no matter what the country of origin.
 
Last edited:
Another vote for a DR650, in the spirit of "prep for the hardest dirt you'll encounter". It is primitive, but so is the road. A skid plate, a Sargent saddle, and a small windscreen, and it's good to go. A spare wheelset with knobbies, as mentioned, is nice to have. For me, at 160lbs and 5'5", I found the weight savings from the KLR to be significant on dirt. Made it fine from Oakland to Prudhoe Bay, so it can't be too bad. I also met a guy from Castro Valley who had ridden up on his WR250R, and had fun taking singletrack breaks in various places.

And don't be afraid to truck the bike to cool places to ride. Woodschick does, so it must be okay. You'll discover more places that way, ultimately.

Try some knobbies on your BMW, too. Might be fine just with that. Main thing for adventuring (basic point Austin Vince seems to make above), don't overthink it and while it is important to plan well, it is less important to optimize absolutely everything. If you try to tie up all the loose ends, you'll never go.

Heck, back in April I did a mild adventure ride on my DR650 with two friends, one on a hammered old Honda Nighthawk 750 and one on an even older and more hammered '84 Ascot 550 that he got for $700, complete with fork seal leak and a "spider-ometer" where the tach used to be. Strapped his dang hipster Chrome bag to the back and off to the Carrizo. We had a great time out on the dirt roads, and they used my slightly greater dirt capability to scout routes that they could navigate. In the end, the only one of us who got stuck in the mud was me.

That said, I now have a little DRZ250 and an old kicker DR350 that I've finally gotten well tuned that I'm eager to try for longer distances--I'll report back, eventually. I do think that for those invested in and used to bigger, more modern, higher-performing bikes, going to the smaller, more reliable but old-fashioned dual-sports might be a less-than-pleasant challenge, though. Getting luggage on the little guys can be a challenge, but Giant Loop bags can help with that. One point I disagree with Austin Vince, though...I always bring a decent tent. I've been caught too many times in the rain and snow not to go crazy in a bivy sack.
 
How about this 450cc candidate? Street-legal, CRMO frame, 6-speed wide ratio, EFI, Kick & electric start, 6.3 gal fuel tank, WP Suspension, Electric Roadbook/GPS, 247 lbs?

Pardon my KTM ignorance, but which bike is that? Based on the description, it sounds like a modded 450 XC-W, which I don't believe is street-legal. As near as I can tell, the only street-legal KTM enduros are the 350 EXC-F, 500 EXC, and the 690 Enduro R. Is this correct?
 
I am a really big fan of the KLR that I have and so far it hasn't let me down on or offroad. I have no problem cruising for miles on it even though I never really take it above 70. It hasn't really been single-tracked at all but has done great on two-tracks and fire trails with 50/50 tires on it. After getting the DRZ, even though it isn't considered cream of the crop as far as dirt bikes go, has felt amazing for me offroad. With its lighter weight and more aggressive tires, the thing flies through dirt and I haven't had trouble doing more technical sections with it. I think that in comparison to the GS it would be a welcomed change. With all this said, I got my DRZ because I was on a budget and it is missing out on that extra gear and EFI but it has been awesome. It's going to be hard to find the bike that is great offroad and slab when you already have the GS which I am betting is a pretty sweet compromise. Its gonna be a tough choice no matter what it comes down too.
 
Pardon my KTM ignorance, but which bike is that? Based on the description, it sounds like a modded 450 XC-W, which I don't believe is street-legal. As near as I can tell, the only street-legal KTM enduros are the 350 EXC-F, 500 EXC, and the 690 Enduro R. Is this correct?

2012 KTM 500 EXC which replaced the 2011 450EXC and 530EXC, and shares the same motor/gearbox as the 500 XC-W but final drive sprockets are slightly taller. The main differences between the 2012-2013 500 EXC and the 500 XC-W are the blinkers, mirrors, a rear license-plate fender hanger and larger taillight, and EPA equipment. The mod is the Mecasystems Rally Kit.

Here's an ADVrider thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746534
 
Last edited:
2012 KTM 500 EXC which replaced the 2011 450EXC and 530EXC, and shares the same motor/gearbox as the 500 XC-W but final drive sprockets are slightly taller. The main differences between the 2012-2013 500 EXC and the 500 XC-W are the blinkers, mirrors, a rear license-plate fender hanger and larger taillight, and EPA equipment. The mod is the Mecasystems Rally Kit.

Here's an ADVrider thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746534

ummm no, it's more like an 07-08ish 450exc just like it says on the number plate. Basically the same thing as a 500 though.
 
Since the tractor motored luddites are now giving the euro trash, techno crap the gang beatdown here, I'll put my vote in for some air cooled splendor. A big bore DR790 (55hp, 51 tq) with the highly sought after purple frame to impress all your friends.
 
Since the tractor motored luddites are now giving the euro trash, techno crap the gang beatdown here, I'll put my vote in for some air cooled splendor. A big bore DR790 (55hp, 51 tq) with the highly sought after purple frame to impress all your friends.

Closest I can come up with is a DR Big. :dunno

suzuki_dr_big_750_s_1989_1.jpg
 
Any 96+ DR650 with a 790 kit from procycle . It's simple enough to be able get the swap done in an afternoon.
 
2012 KTM 500 EXC which replaced the 2011 450EXC and 530EXC, and shares the same motor/gearbox as the 500 XC-W but final drive sprockets are slightly taller.

This bike recently won bike of the year by Dirt Rider magazine (just beat out the HuskyTE510 I believe). Both bikes are awesome but pricey.


I am also looking at a small DS - and after wrestling my Vstrom in the dirt (which is lighter than your GS :teeth) and riding a YZ250 on single track, WEIGHT MATTERS!

I am looking at 250cc-500cc (maybe 650), used, water or aircooled, electric start, decent gearing for 70mph hwy, and ideally 225-320ish lbs - I like the DRs/DRZs (and they're in my price range:laughing)

As Seavoyage noted, you should be all over ADVRider - lots of info/research/opinons by lots of folks that have put many miles on DS bikes:thumbup

Need to make it to an ADVRider gathering and ride some bikes!


T
 
This bike recently won bike of the year by Dirt Rider magazine (just beat out the HuskyTE510 I believe). Both bikes are awesome but pricey.

T

Dirt Rider also bestowed the BOTY honor on the Cannondale at one time, too.

KTM's tend to retain their value but Huskys can be found for next to nothing because they are perceived as exotic and/or inferior. They are a really good value if you are willing to buy used or are willing to buy a left-over model from a previous year. I've had 3 KTM's and 4 Huskys in my garage and the Huskys have been the cheapest to own, by far. Little things like fork seals, gaskets, cables...you know, wear items that you'll be going through especially if you're dual sporting them...tend to be less expensive for the Huskys. Just something to think about...


Dualsporting is the art of compromise. There are so many variables to consider on the path to dualsport happiness.



WoodsChick
 
Last edited:
ummm no, it's more like an 07-08ish 450exc just like it says on the number plate. Basically the same thing as a 500 though.

As far as I can tell, it's a 2009 (and I own an '09 530EXC, so I'm not completely clueless). Definitely not a 2007, because they completely redesigned the bike for 2008 and that's the new design.

BTW, the awful seat can be fixed with one of the various available replacements, and then you have a bike that's pretty close to perfect.
 
BTW, the awful seat can be fixed with one of the various available replacements, and then you have a bike that's pretty close to perfect.

I was referring to the ktm aftermarket powerparts gel seat that I replaced the stock one with.
The stock seat was some employees idea of an April fools joke, it should have been called the Liberace seat. In 30min your butt will know what his social life was like.
Lesson here is to factor in another $500 if you want to be comfortable.

They don't make bikes like they used to. That's both good and with some details bad.
 
KTMs just encourage you to stand up more. :laughing
 
I put CRF fork, 320mm brake, 6g Acerbis tank, and Dirt Bagz on my XRL with good results. Next I'm putting in the NX650 5th gear which gives it a super overdrive and it should run nicely at 85mph all day. So far I'm into the whole deal about $3k. Changed the oil once while doing 4000 miles in Baja and it never skipped a beat.
 
Last edited:
I'm so glad I found this thread as I start my research for purchasing my first DS bike. Thanks all! :thumbup
 
Back
Top