• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Dual-sport recommendations?

My want list is similar to the OP's. I just called my local Honda dealer and put my name on the list for a 2013 CRF250L Bike is expected in by August (maybe).

I'm looking to add a thumper to the garage to complement the GSA. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) somewhat modern (i.e., fuel injection)
2) 6-speed
3) good fuel range (not ruling out an aftermarket tank to get there if one is available)
4) reliable
5) easy to service
6) spare parts and accessories readily available
7) reasonably light
8) Sumo conversions available for streety goodness
 
My want list is similar to the OP's. I just called my local Honda dealer and put my name on the list for a 2013 CRF250L Bike is expected in by August (maybe).

Did they say anything about fire sales on the 230L?
 
Did they say anything about fire sales on the 230L?

Nope....but I didn't ask. The 230L doesn't check off the boxes of my want list like the 250L does. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if Honda came out with some rebate program to clear the sales floors of them once the 250L is brought into the country.
 
I was looking for a cheap DS bike with a simple requirement: Just big enough to ride to the Sierras and do forest roads/dirt around there if I wanted. I had never ridden dirt but I pretty much ran out of fun paved roads in CA... so there's no other way to go to continue the adventure...

Found a 2003 DRZ400S that fit the bill for $2200. Put a 3.9gal tank on it as well as a new seat and some plastics and it's good to go. I did a Sierras forest road ride last summer (another one scheduled in July), I tear it up at Metcalf, and I did the Sheetiron 300 this year on it (even did the 'most difficult' hard split on day 2, which kicked my ass).

IMG0834-M.jpg


IMG0384-M.jpg
 
I was referring to the ktm aftermarket powerparts gel seat that I replaced the stock one with.
The stock seat was some employees idea of an April fools joke, it should have been called the Liberace seat. In 30min your butt will know what his social life was like.
Lesson here is to factor in another $500 if you want to be comfortable.

They don't make bikes like they used to. That's both good and with some details bad.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecwid:category=1671352&mode=product&product=7072115

They have pretty good reviews, and cheap compared to full seats if you don't mind putting foam/cover on yourself. I'm getting a 2010 enduro r today and it will be among the first changes. I rode one with a Corbin in Costa rica for a week, not worth the money and not as comfy as my other two bikes with corbins.
 
Nice deal on that bike, man. That's one of the bikes I would consider in my low priority quest for a decent plated dualsport. Congrats!
 
Klx250s

Been doing my research and came across this Kawi DuelSporter. It seems to be the equal to the Honda CRF250L in many ways except that it's carbed and not FI. But it does have a tach, better suspension (adjustable), a little lighter and taller. Anyone have any thoughts / opinions they can share on Kawi vs Honda?

Also, I found a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S with low miles and all stock for what's seems like an ok price. It doesn't check all my boxes but comes close (sort of).

Opinions????
 

Attachments

  • 448cad54-a6b2-4ee1-bf60-cf8a0e4d5a40.jpg
    448cad54-a6b2-4ee1-bf60-cf8a0e4d5a40.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
Opinions????

The best bike in the plated, low maintenance 250 class is the WR250R.

The DRZ has better power for pavement riding but is geared a bit short (5spd) for freeway speeds. They have a lot more torque than the 250s.

What exactly are you planning to be riding with this bike?
 
I've ridden the KLX250 and thought it was a hoot. I have not ridden the WR250R, and understand that it has considerably more power and a somewhat better suspension than the KLX. I guess it may come down to whether the differences in the bikes outweigh the difference in price. :dunno
 
I rode a WR250R out at Stonyford a few months ago. I was quite impressed with it on the trails. It's too heavy for a real dirt bike, but the motor was surprisingly pleasing. It's a really good compromise bike if you're looking for a do-it-all dual sport bike. The service intervals are pretty much out of this world.




WoodsChick
 
What exactly are you planning to be riding with this bike?

This will be a play bike for local ADV riding. Probably (I'm guessing here) 70/30 road/dirt use. Dirt use will be limited to dirt/gravel roads, jeep trails, some single track.

I may throw it in the back of my van and take it on camping trips to explore roads/trails, trips to town for milk (!), etc.

The WR looks to be the business....maybe more bike than I need. The new Honda may be a bit lacking off road (suspension wise), but the idea of spinning up that little short stroke single and wailing around the twisty backroads has a great deal of appeal to me. The Honda's low price point is also appealing. The little Kawi has an adjustable suspension stock. It's also more expensive but has a less appealing, longer stroke, carbed engine. Pluses and minuses all around......

My apologies to the OP for jacking his thread..... I hope he's still watching this thread and hopefully gleaming something useful from it.
 
At 70% street, you should test ride the 250s and DRZ on the street before buying. The small engines get really buzzy on pavement and you have to wind them out to get power out of them.

The KLX only has about 18hp. I can't imagine that being much fun when you're riding a country two lane in front of an angry redneck in a rusty pickup with #3 Dale Earnhardt stickers on the window.
 
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecwid:category=1671352&mode=product&product=7072115

They have pretty good reviews, and cheap compared to full seats if you don't mind putting foam/cover on yourself. I'm getting a 2010 enduro r today and it will be among the first changes. I rode one with a Corbin in Costa rica for a week, not worth the money and not as comfy as my other two bikes with corbins.

Thanks for the link.
That looks like it's the answer and not a bad price. I still have the stock seat so will send that and have them install.
Unfortunately because of the ktm the damage is done so unless I don't ride for 2 months I will need to do this with my WR also. For that one I might just try and install myself.
 
At 70% street, you should test ride the 250s and DRZ on the street before buying. The small engines get really buzzy on pavement and you have to wind them out to get power out of them.

Thanks luckett for your opinions. I appreciate your interest in helping me find the right DS bike for my needs/wants. Eventhough my dirt/street ratio is weighed more towards the street, I'm gonna give more consideration to the bike's dirt worthiness than it's streetability and hope I don't come across too many of those redneck p/u trucks trying to run me down...... Cheers!
 
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecwid:category=1671352&mode=product&product=7072115

They have pretty good reviews, and cheap compared to full seats if you don't mind putting foam/cover on yourself. I'm getting a 2010 enduro r today and it will be among the first changes. I rode one with a Corbin in Costa rica for a week, not worth the money and not as comfy as my other two bikes with corbins.

In terms of seats, on my DR650 I've tried the stocker (it's an atrocity to your butt waiting to happen), a Corbin (well shaped for sitting, but too wide to move around on off road, and too heavy), a Seat Concepts seat rebuild (getting warmer, though you'll still be uncomfortable at the end of a long day, and the foam gets wet in heavy rain), and a Sargent. Sargent is the comfort winner, hands down, and you can still move around on it when you need to. That's the one I took to Alaska.
 
Thanks luckett for your opinions. I appreciate your interest in helping me find the right DS bike for my needs/wants. Eventhough my dirt/street ratio is weighed more towards the street, I'm gonna give more consideration to the bike's dirt worthiness than it's streetability and hope I don't come across too many of those redneck p/u trucks trying to run me down...... Cheers!

drz400 would be the bike for sure.your height and weight,a two fiddy would be a bit small.xr650L,or a xr600 would be kool.easy to work on.used one for sale all the time,lots off goddies to add on.:ridenice to meet you the last ride,i had a great time.too much fun:party
 
In terms of seats, on my DR650 I've tried the stocker (it's an atrocity to your butt waiting to happen), a Corbin (well shaped for sitting, but too wide to move around on off road, and too heavy), a Seat Concepts seat rebuild (getting warmer, though you'll still be uncomfortable at the end of a long day, and the foam gets wet in heavy rain), and a Sargent. Sargent is the comfort winner, hands down, and you can still move around on it when you need to. That's the one I took to Alaska.

Got any more details on what makes the Sargent so much better than Seat Concepts? I've dragged my ass on getting this done but I want to get my old seat in the mail in the next few days to one or the other.
I didn't see ktm as an option on the website for Sargent. I don't imagine it would be much trouble to cover a seat for a bike not listed on their site.
I can't deal with the PITA anymore.
 
Got any more details on what makes the Sargent so much better than Seat Concepts? I've dragged my ass on getting this done but I want to get my old seat in the mail in the next few days to one or the other.
I didn't see ktm as an option on the website for Sargent. I don't imagine it would be much trouble to cover a seat for a bike not listed on their site.
I can't deal with the PITA anymore.

You can usually ship seats to Sargent and have them do a rebuild to your specs--I did that for my 919.

Seat Concepts seat is a solid value and vastly better than stock, especially if you buy their cover/foam kit and do the install yourself with a heavy duty stapler and a hair dryer. Their gripper vinyl is good for the sides of a dualsport seat (for grip when standing), but grips too much, IMO, for the top of the seat. I prefer to move around, so if I were buying one again I'd get the regular vinyl on the top and the gripper stuff on the sides only. I was peeved about the somewhat-lacking waterproofness of the seat, but it only leaks in heavy rain, likely not a huge problem unless you're headed to Alaska or South America or something.

Sargent seat just gets it utterly right--slightly wider and slightly more dished to fit my booty, and the foam they use is amazing, firm but yielding. Butts vary, though.

I did a 1,000-mile ride in early April to SoCal on the Sargent Seat, then retraced much of the same route for the Paso Robles Rally in mid-May, and used the Seat Concepts saddle for the second one (wanted my girlfriend to be as comfy as possible on her DR, so I gave her the Sargent). So, similar route, distance and time in the saddle, on the same bike, and my butt hurt at the end of the day with the Seat Concepts saddle, needed a couple more rest breaks for the same distance than I had on the Sargent. My gf was totally happy on the Sargent, her butt gave her no trouble at all.

I hear great things about Renazco seats too, but have never ridden on one.
 
Your ideal of a six speed will severely limit your choices.

Looks like it's boiling down to 2 bikes. The Kawi KLX250s and the Honda CRF250L. Both are 6 speeders. The final choice may just depend on which local dealer I prefer to deal with..... which means.... the Honda.
 
Back
Top