• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

In about 8 months I will know...

Are there provisions for the lens to be cleared from dust? I was following the whole thing last night, very cool indeed
 
Are there provisions for the lens to be cleared from dust? I was following the whole thing last night, very cool indeed

Next intersection, wait for the homeless alien.
glass%20cleaner%20image.jpg
 
Are there provisions for the lens to be cleared from dust? I was following the whole thing last night, very cool indeed

The first pics were taken with the lens covers on. The covers have been removed.

i'm pretty sure this is a low rez covers off pic.

2-newmarsrover.jpg
 
I'm trying to get my thoughts together so I can hit the nail on the head about my feelings for my small part in this great project.

First off, Thank you so much for the kind words guys. Please remember that this project is for YOU. NASA exists to serve you! You are the direct beneficiaries of an almost unimaginable amount of hard work , dedication and brilliance. Please enjoy and engage in all of this.
As an individual I am humbled and feel so fortunate to have gotten a chance to make a small contribution to MSL's success. As an American I am so incredibly proud. This is how we need to lead the world. This is a refection of American excellence. As member of the human race I am given hope that we will someday understand the universe.

51gZhgmwHFL.jpg

congrats on the awesomes
 
The more I think about this, the more awesome, and unbelievable I realise it is. It is, in some ways, more impressive than a manned mission.
 
You got called out in a news article!

Alicia Chang said:
Smarts aside, engineers also outfitted Curiosity with a sense of style. It boasts 20-inch aluminum wheels — twice the size of the wheels on twin rovers Spirit and Opportunity that landed in 2004 — with spokes made of titanium and cleats for traction.
 
I am of the opinion that SCIENTIFIC EXPLORATION, both theortical, and practical, of the universe, is along with artistic creation, the most important things humanity can do
 
The first pics were taken with the lens covers on. The covers have been removed.

i'm pretty sure this is a low rez covers off pic.

2-newmarsrover.jpg

Hey Mike, congrats. It's a great feeling, yes? Talk to Deric and Bryan (and Jeff) - they made some camera body that is on the rover as well. :thumbup
 
effing dopeness :thumbup
 
I am still quite surprised it actually worked. It just didn't follow the KISS principle. :laughing
 
I am still quite surprised it actually worked. It just didn't follow the KISS principle. :laughing

+1, it sounds like something an 8 yr old would imagine, which makes it all the more awesome :laughing

Also, I like this clip from this article
First, a series of checks to the car-sized vehicle must take place, which could take weeks.
Then comes the unavoidable bickering and questions of, "Are we there yet?" that another NASA scientist likened to taking a cross-country family trip with all of his coworkers.
"My version of the surface mission is that it is like going on a family vacation and driving from here to Chicago," said Richard Cook, flight systems manager on the project at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
"Except that your family has got 400 scientists who want to stop and look at every fossilized whatever they can find."
 
Back
Top