• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Innovv C3 camera testing- motorcycle dashcam

Thanks Inner Nerd for chiming in. It's puzzling to me that single video mode works normally but loop video mode does not. Under loop mode, after I turn off the bike's ignition; the red led continues to flash indefinitely and doesn't turn off until I manually do it. (I have my config settings set to 30 sec power off delay) I actually bought two innovv camera systems and they both exhibit the same loop problem! Bad batch perhaps? Oh well, I'm going to take it to PM and I'm 100% confident Willy will help me resolve this.

Cool ironbutt vid! I always wanted to do something like that.... I'm also impressed with how well the video looks at night... all I see with my contour is black graininess noise lol
Try updating the firmware if you haven't already. That was the first thing I did before I started playing around with it.

Also try setting the power off delay to off. It'll still flash for about 10 seconds but should automatically turn off on its own after that. That video was recorded using loop mode, auto-record with switched power and 5 second timelapse. Then I sped it up another 20x in editing to cram it under 10 minutes.
 
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually followed Guzzi510 advice / instructions on updating the firmware on one of the innovv cameras with no positive results. I think my best bet is to send the receiver units back to Willy and maybe he can confirm if I'm going crazy or if there's in fact something wrong with the units.
 
Doh, you're right. I have the unable to record in loop mode issue. :(

Went to check about a week's worth of footage today, got nothing but corrupt files. The file sizes were large, so it seems like it was trying to record something... followed by 2-3 smaller files. I think it was trying to record as the camera turned on, but didn't turn off with the ignition until it drained itself.

Cleared the card.

Turned the switch to single record, watched the videos and it recorded just fine. Tried reflashing firmware, started recording. No flashing green lights, which I think means the firmware was already up to date. Checked that footage, came out fine, with one exception. Timestamp on the recording was several days behind, internal battery definitely drained.

Turn the switch to loop, turned bike on. The unit turn on solid red like it was on standby, and not turn off when the ignition is off. I manually turned it off by holding the power button and got a gopro to record what it looks like. Tried it again, turned the ignition on, and now the light alternates red/orange like normal, but stops on its own. Looks like there's an issue with the recording unit where if it's set to auto-record with ignition, it tries to record but goes into standby instead. It saves a .mov file onto the card, but they weren't able to play.

Looks like we just found some bugs with the loop mode. Something about it not recording when it detects power/charge, and not turning off when the ignition is off.

Willy, can you get in contact with the people at Innovv to see if they have any ideas on how to troubleshoot it? The unit doesn't seem to want to retake the firmware.

JN396, did your video files come out ok even though you had to manually turn the unit off?

[youtube]wl2IquQ3WIc[/youtube]
1. Straight record, ignition on, records fine, turn ignition off.
2. Loop record, ignition on, red/orange like normal, then just orange with ignition still on.
Video for the straight record came out normal. The video for the loop record was corrupt and couldn't open.
 
Is your file size set to 30min files in settings?
Yeah... does it not like that? Because that would be a super easy fix for me.

datestamp=on
poweronrecord=on
autopoweroff=none
moviesize=1080p
photosize=3m
videocliplength=30min
selftime=off
continueshot=1
videosound=on
wb=normal
recordingindicator=on
hz=60
motiondetect=off
ev=0
saturation=normal
gsensor=off
tvmode=ntsc
lapsetime=off
 
Last edited:
try 10 min file size , it may be a bug.

Just tried with your settings and the 30min looks like a bug, happened to another one the other night but I wasn't sure if it was isolated.

They are working on a FW update right now so I just sent them a message about it.
 
Last edited:
try 10 min file size , it may be a bug.

Just tried with your settings and the 30min looks like a bug, happened to another one the other night but I wasn't sure if it was isolated.

They are working on a FW update right now so I just sent them a message about it.
LOL that fixed it. Kind of weird that it would be perfectly ok straight recording 30 minutes but not if you want to loop it.

Glad I didn't have it set on 30 minutes during the ironbutt, would've lost 22 hours of footage. Thanks Willy, you the man!

Now I'll just have 3 files instead of 1 single file per commute. No big deal.
 
The + to a smaller file size is that if something were to happen, you wouldn't loose as much footage. I used to hate my Contour for that it would corrupt files all of the time.
Also it's easier to youtube a smaller file when your just wanting to post something up quick.
I run my file size at 3min and just use a free program to put multiple files together if I want to combine them but I haven't had any reason to make a longer video that no one wants to watch :rofl

Big thanks to Airrix (Eric), he found the bug about the 30min file on loop recording :thumbup wasn't sure if it was just his camera.
 
Last edited:
Good to see your issues got quickly resolved Inner Nerd! When I was having this loop issue, I remember I had the file size settings originally at 30 minutes. With Willy's help, it's now working flawlessly. (I'm also happy that I wasn't going crazy with seeing how single video mode worked but not loop mode lol)
 
Any idea if they are going to make the recording unit be able to display as a drive without the camera attached? It would be very convenient to be able to just take it off the bike and plug it into your computer to view files. As of now, I have to remove the card and use a card reader.
 
Mine is working fine.

Could use more frames or less compression, but it's a DVR, so I don't mind much.

It did corrupt my 64GB San Disk SD card. Computer won't recognize it ("Can't initialize disk"), camera won't format it.

So I'm using the Innovv with a 4Gb and a16GB card for fear of damaging another card. Loop function is working fine with my 3min file size, I am able to record about 2h in a 16GB card, which means for longer rides, I have to unscrew the seats to turn off the camera so as not to lose the twisty bits.

Here's a fun 40sec. video I just made with it:



[youtube]yoSTQkp1_Kc[/youtube]
 
Oh yes, I broke my camera support removing the camera from it. So be warned, carefull with that. I now use it straight with red 3M double sided tape under the headlights.
 
I saw one of these on line last night and thought maybe it might make a decent cheap weather resistant case for the recoding unit.
Clear plastic mailing tube with vinyl end caps


I stopped at a hardware store on the way back from work today and found them 1.25 inch in diameter and 12 inches long for a whopping $1.45
The caps fit night and snug and are flexible and the tube is flexible too. It flexes into an oval shape with the recoding unit in it and I poked a couple of holes in the caps for the cords and did some length trimming with scissors.


It's a quick first try but it can be made shorter still and I think that with some liquid electrical tape or some silicone to seal the cable holes even better it will protect the unit as long as I don't end up underwater for an extended period of time:D

Where did you find this stuff? I've looked around, but can only find it with a 2 inch diameter which is way too big.
 
No pics of wiring since I'm still moving the cameras from bike to bike and some guns but it's a simple 12v to 5v USB connection. I'll be putting up some install pics once the cameras arrive or if you need a hand doing it we can set something up if you want to be one of the install photos.
I will be running a front and back camera all the time when my permanent cameras show up.

Would love to see this as I'm struggling with it myself.
 
Hello,

I have been testing a unit for couple of days.
i make sure to use latest firmware FW3 from innov website.
format 2 sdcard with 16gb and 32gb for testing, both has same issue as explained below.

may i ask how the record loop works ?
to make it easier to explain, suppose i have a sdcard with size 10
each recording with interval consume size 1
so i expect to have 10 files with each 1 as size.
I turn on the recording unit with long cable as cable power on to start recording.
the recording file start with L as expected.

when the card emptied after format, the recording files are created as expected. but when the card start to be full, the last/newest file is recorded over and over. It will look like these ...
L0001.mov (the oldest file)
L0002.mov
L0003.mov
L0004.mov
L0005.mov
L0006.mov
L0007.mov
L0008.mov
L0009.mov
L0034.mov (the newest file)

does it sounds the unit works correctly ?
 
To add from previous post.
i test continous loop from yesterday starting at around 7pm.
as you can see files start from L0004 up until L0029 the timestamp is correct.
but the last file (this is on 32GB card Samsung EVO) at L0030, the timestamp is at the moment right before i disconnect the unit from power.
so when the card is full, it does not delete the oldest file over, but the last file it use will be reused over and over. This will defeat the purpose of continuous loop as we can only record on the last 10min, unless you reformat the card on the unit.

Can anyone confirm if you see the same behavior or only my unit behave like this ? Also, could you share the config you use (my config is at the bottom of the post).

-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 169M Dec 1 19:07 L0000003.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 19:17 L0000004.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 19:27 L0000005.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 19:37 L0000006.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 19:47 L0000007.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 19:57 L0000008.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 20:07 L0000009.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 20:17 L0000010.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 20:27 L0000011.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 20:37 L0000012.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 20:47 L0000013.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 579M Dec 1 20:52 L0000014.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 21:02 L0000015.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 21:12 L0000016.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 21:22 L0000017.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 21:32 L0000018.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 21:42 L0000019.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 21:52 L0000020.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 22:02 L0000021.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 187M Dec 1 22:04 L0000022.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 22:14 L0000023.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 22:24 L0000024.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 22:34 L0000025.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 22:44 L0000026.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 22:54 L0000027.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 23:04 L0000028.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 1.1G Dec 1 23:14 L0000029.MOV
-rwxrwxrwx 1 user350 staff 47M Dec 2 20:05 L0000030.MOV


My configuration is as follow :

datetime=2014:11:22 23:55:00
videostamp=SOMEONE@GMAIL.COM
datestamp=on
recordingindicator=on
poweronrecord=on
videosound=on
motiondetect=off
hz=60
continueshot=1
photosize=3m
gsensor=off
autopoweroff=30s
saturation=normal
wb=normal
moviesize=1080p
selftime=30s
ev=0
videocliplength=10min
tvmode=ntsc
 
I have a 64gb card and it came out ok.
http://i.imgur.com/mFsvGTC.jpg

poweronrecord=on
autopoweroff=none
moviesize=1080p
photosize=3m
videocliplength=3min
selftime=off
continueshot=1
videosound=on
wb=normal
recordingindicator=on
hz=60
motiondetect=off
ev=0
saturation=normal
gsensor=off
tvmode=ntsc
lapsetime=off

Those are my settings. I have no idea why some come with an L prefix, and others are HT, but it works just fine. It overwrites the older files first.
 
Just witnessed an accident on my way to work and came back all excited to find out that my camera has not been recording. Lights up red when I turn the bike on, but no new files since October. Will have to do some troubleshooting.
 
Back
Top