• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

kill a biker, no problem

enki

Active member
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Location
Fresno
Moto(s)
ZX6R
Name
Jim
http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/06/26/3997552/motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-on.html?sp=/99/406/552/

A Harley-Davidson motorcyclist was killed Wednesday afternoon on Highway 33 north of Patterson when a pickup driver turned left in front of him, the California Highway Patrol reported.

The crash took place about 2:15 p.m. as the rider, whose name was not released pending notification of family, was southbound on Highway 33 on a 2006 Road King approaching Frank Cox Road. Daniel Bays, 27, of Patterson was northbound on 33 when he slowed to a stop to turn left onto Frank Cox Road and pulled into the path of the Harley in a 2012 Ford pickup.

The CHP said the Harley rider had no time to react and the motorcycle hit the front of the Ford. The rider was ejected from the motorcycle and was thrown into the cab of the pickup. The rider died at the scene. Bays was not injured or arrested. The CHP said alcohol or drugs were not a factor in the crash.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/06/26...n-crash-on.html?sp=/99/406/552/#storylink=cpy
 
That is a terrible tragedy. Condolences to the rider's family.

Looking at Google maps and street view, that is a straight & flat stretch of road. The street view does show an 18 wheeler obstructing the view forward for both lanes......
 
I don't know about the title, only because we really don't know the circumstances, and never will know. From personal experience, I will bet that the accident report will probably say "the motorcyclist's speed was a contributing factor". Whether that is accurate or not, is another matter.
:rose
Ride serenely, Mr. Biker.
 
^ I have to stay I hate statements like that. Of course the riders speed was a factor; had he been parked, there might have been a different outcome. Had he been hit while stopped his speed would also be a factor. It feels like a technical gotcha.
 
Well, unfortunately, it is often a relevant factor, as most motorcyclists speed and, even more importantly, many fail to ride defensively enough or recognize threats to their path of travel until it's too late. No way to tell all of the things that may have contributed to this accident from that article. It is a sad reality that inattentive driving is epidemic, is not treated as a criminal offense, and remains our biggest danger as motorcyclists.
 
The big problem as I see it is that an accident is an accident and I'm not sure not seeing a motorcycle breaks the threshold into a criminal act. There is a legal idea call rens mea which means guilty mind. For an act to be criminal it has to be consciously and deliberately performed. Accidents happen every day and unfortunately some will cause deaths and the legal systems can't make this poor mans family whole again, all it can to is enforce laws on the books. Sucks for the rider and everyone involved including the bad driver.
 
"Bays was not injured or arrested. The CHP said alcohol or drugs were not a factor in the crash." Just because he was not arrested, doesn't mean he wont be at a later date and as Ratblast sez, accidents are not always criminally prosecuted. No statement about whether the investigation has been finalized either soooo..... we don't know anything.
 
It is very rare to arrest a sober person at an ACCIDENT. Intentional acts are not accidents and would more often result in an arrest. I'd suspect some form of charges related to negligence on the driver in the future when all things are factored.

RIP rider
 
Years ago, I pulled out in front of a bike. He saw it coming,there was no accident, but could have been, and wasn't pissed at me. I was about 18 at the time, and I was also a motorcycle rider, at the time, so I should have seen him.

I'm not sure if you guys are calling for his head or what? Have you ever had an accident? Anyone in your family ever been involved in an accident? It happens. He wasn't loaded, they said nothing about a cell phone or texting or anything else. He was a young guy driving the truck, what do you want to see happen to him, prison time? It's doubtful he did it on purpose, most people have a conscience, and would have a hard time dealing with killing someone. What accidents have you had, would you hold yourself to the same standard, didn't see someone or something, motorcycle involvement or not, would you be willing to go to prison for an accident?

There seems to be some outrage here because the guy was riding a bike.
 
Friend of mine out of tracy saw this accident right after it happened
Motorcycle looked like it was chewed up by the truck
Sorry to hear about the rider :(
here is his photo of the bike and truck
I will not post the picture of the rider laying in the road though
10432960_713874982011185_6590686084620334833_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
DUI, texting, gross in attention should all be criminal in mt book.
DUI drivers have no intent but it is still criminal why not texting?
I do agree that some are just tragic accidents.
RC
 
Last edited:
Years ago, I pulled out in front of a bike. He saw it coming,there was no accident, but could have been, and wasn't pissed at me. I was about 18 at the time, and I was also a motorcycle rider, at the time, so I should have seen him.

I'm not sure if you guys are calling for his head or what? Have you ever had an accident? Anyone in your family ever been involved in an accident? It happens. He wasn't loaded, they said nothing about a cell phone or texting or anything else. He was a young guy driving the truck, what do you want to see happen to him, prison time? It's doubtful he did it on purpose, most people have a conscience, and would have a hard time dealing with killing someone. What accidents have you had, would you hold yourself to the same standard, didn't see someone or something, motorcycle involvement or not, would you be willing to go to prison for an accident?

There seems to be some outrage here because the guy was riding a bike.
Besides that this is not a jury box and my first thought was to punch the truck driver in the face, no matter how negligent the driver was, i.e. texting etc., rest assured that almost no penalty will be bestowed to the man who just killed a rider.

Given our court system, he will plead out to probation.
 
Given our court system, he will plead out to probation.
Just exactly what is it you expect him to 'plead out' of? The accident scene certainly implies the moto had a pretty good head of steam going.
.....and 'punch him in the face'?
:wtf
 
This is tragic... and nothing that may end up being done to "punish" the driver will fix it...
How awful for the rider's family to have to live without him... and how awful for the young man to have to live with the memory of what his actions caused... :(

RIP Rider... :rose
 
Sad. Damn sad. :rose

To those left behind you have my condolences. :(

Can't remember what the weave maneuver is called, but it does help IMO.

I do that pretty regularly when oncoming traffic is slowing to turn.
 
A car turning left is a really common accident. It's the first thing on my mind when I'm approaching g an open highway intersection like this. I don't know about the specifics of this accident, but I know if I was hauling ass on 33 on a Harley, I would have my eyes open and my fingers over the brake as I rode up the that cross roads, especially with a truck in the oncoming lane.

Condolences.
 
Back
Top