• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Sometimes I (still) Ride Like An Asshole - Feb 2015 edition

I am a bigger asshole in my car than on my bike. I have pondered it and I think it is likely because I get more frustrated in a car; particularly in heavy traffic. It's hard to get frustrated on a bike. :ride

Yep.

I also pondered and while there is that, I think for me it is more the (false) sense of security I have, being in a big ol cage that my bf constantly tells me is one of the highest rated safe cars to crash in, lol.

You should test it to prove him wrong. :laughing
 
I graduated the asshole riding club decades ago. Before radios could connect the dots. :laughing

So glad I am still worthy of consideration to join the club.

I know it is only because I rock. :teeth
 
Coming from Texas to the Bay Area, drivers here are surprisingly decent. Sure you get people that don't know how to merge and are impolite. But the degree of rudeness is quite a bit less. I haven't had the displeasure of driving much in L.A. / south California. I have a feeling it's mad max like.

Texas...fml. If they allow splitting there it will be a blood bath I'm telling ya. People are the epitome of selfish a-holes. It's my lane, it's my space and to heck with ya if ya don't like it.

From DFW to Austin, to Houston. It's just bad.

People turn off their humanity when they get in a car. "Oh you want in? Sorry I can't see you right now because I'm pretending to be an idiot...oops was that my gas pedal that closed the gap on you? oh darn. Aww shucks you're stuck in an exit only lane trying to merge on the freeway. Poor bastard, I wish I could help you, but I just can't because I'm in a car and my car and me have a special relationship of f you. I'm going to pretend that you just didn't get in behind me, and definitely won't look at you because I'm not a human being in here."

I was that way for a while in DFW, and somewhat in Houston. I found it just eats at your soul after a while. Years of stooping to that level just kills ya.

Funny thing though if you meet the same people in person, outside of the rude rules of the road, they're much kinder.

oh wait did I imply Texas is the worst? Spend some time in Oklahoma. Maybe the prison is better, but I meant on the highways. I promise you will want to pull off your head and shite in your own neck hole.

I'd rather drive from Jersey to New York City and back every day. At least there, people are not rude, they are just all business, right now. Why aren't you moving through the red light? It's about to turn green you better be on the gas. Makes sense there because if you don't the pedestrians will take advantage of your lax attitude. People to do and shite to see.

/ramble
 
I don't like passing them at 80 MPH just because they moved over. Why can't they yield, like they're supposed to?
 
Is using your highbeam while lane splitting at night being asshole if people are completely blind and don't notice you anyways?
 
Is using your highbeam while lane splitting at night being asshole if people are completely blind and don't notice you anyways?

Not at all. Especially if you're splitting at 85+ past a CHP. You'll be fine. :thumbup
 
Does BARF need a 12 step program? :laughing
 
confession is good for the soul eh,

Forgive me for riding like and asshole. But it was done with the best intent :thumbup That intent being to jam up some asshole.

I was heading north on 101 through Petaluma a few weeks ago. Some douche canoe in a white Camaro with a carbon fiber hood (with a massive scoop, super raspy exhaust, and an obviously worked over LS motor) was making his way through traffic by passing people on the off ramps and cutting back in. Traffic was moderate so my splitting lanes was running at about the same pace as him on off ramps and the occasional shoulder.

We get to a bit of a traffic clearing and as soon as he see's m enter the clearing by splitting lanes he looks at me, sticks his hand out the window making a thumbs down gesture and takes off.

Now, knowing my bike is not an RC8 and that I really had no chance of beating him (Or catching him even) I still twisted it to the stops and took off after him.

We were getting into the Rohnert Park Expressway area and I was hoping to keep his speed up and occupy enough of his attention to get him to blow by a cop or two that are usually posted up in that area. He was dicing in and out of traffic and shooting off ramps at ludicrous speed, all while pumping his thumbs down fist. I was splitting lanes, not within the CMSP guidelines.

Then he exited. No cops, no crash, no nothing. Just some self loathing for succumbing to the red mist. :(
 
Last edited:
The great thing about the concept of grace is that you can let that self-loathing go. :angel
 
They moved over for you because some asshole rider right before you kicked their door in and broke off their mirror because they didn't get out of the way ! ! ! LOL :twofinger


Uhh, that's One possibility...
An other one is, the driver is also a biker, and...doing the decent thing.

Very often, the pull over to make max room, is including a thumbs up.. :thumbup
 
Coming from Texas to the Bay Area, drivers here are surprisingly decent. Sure you get people that don't know how to merge and are impolite. But the degree of rudeness is quite a bit less. I haven't had the displeasure of driving much in L.A. / south California. I have a feeling it's mad max like.

Texas...fml. If they allow splitting there it will be a blood bath I'm telling ya. People are the epitome of selfish a-holes. It's my lane, it's my space and to heck with ya if ya don't like it.

From DFW to Austin, to Houston. It's just bad.

People turn off their humanity when they get in a car. "Oh you want in? Sorry I can't see you right now because I'm pretending to be an idiot...oops was that my gas pedal that closed the gap on you? oh darn. Aww shucks you're stuck in an exit only lane trying to merge on the freeway. Poor bastard, I wish I could help you, but I just can't because I'm in a car and my car and me have a special relationship of f you. I'm going to pretend that you just didn't get in behind me, and definitely won't look at you because I'm not a human being in here."

I was that way for a while in DFW, and somewhat in Houston. I found it just eats at your soul after a while. Years of stooping to that level just kills ya.

Funny thing though if you meet the same people in person, outside of the rude rules of the road, they're much kinder.

oh wait did I imply Texas is the worst? Spend some time in Oklahoma. Maybe the prison is better, but I meant on the highways. I promise you will want to pull off your head and shite in your own neck hole.

I'd rather drive from Jersey to New York City and back every day. At least there, people are not rude, they are just all business, right now. Why aren't you moving through the red light? It's about to turn green you better be on the gas. Makes sense there because if you don't the pedestrians will take advantage of your lax attitude. People to do and shite to see.

/ramble

That is exactly how it was in Charleston SC also. Worst driving ever! People turning to a side street from the middle lane, don't know how to merge, stopped traffic in the #1 lane for no reason whatsoever.

People out here moving out of the way for a bike is a Christmas Miracle compared to other parts of the country! I love it out here.
 
August update:

Yep, still an asshole. :party
 
Back
Top