• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Essential Trials Stickie

Quick question guys, I have a Beta, was told it is an Alp about 1989 vintage. I'm changing the transmission oil and am not sure exactly what to use. Found a manual on line and it said 20/30 transmission oil, someone told me to use atf, others have said use Rotella - thought I'd ask someone here...

I have a old book that says Mineral Oil..
But the stuff made today may be better..
 
Thanks guys! Got some Honda2-stroke transmission oil, got it all back together this afternoon - is working great!
 
Got my new piston in, have to re-assemble the head/wiring then it should be good to start. Donna is nagging me to ride this weekend so Sunday will be the day unless something goes wrong with my bike fix. I'll text you or update here to confirm, assume the usual (9:30 or so at the tree). It may be crowded due to the light rain on Saturday.
 
Any Ossa Explorer riders out there? Mandy at lewisport gave me some contact info to an Alan (Andessa or Andera) that lives in bay area and has an Explorer. Wanted to see if he had any tips/tricks to share.
 
johnnymac, most of us in this thread are riding pure trials bikes not crossovers. We'd love to have you out riding with us but it will be more in the trials vein and less in the trails vein. Your bike will do it (I've got the TR280i, same motor, no seat) but it may be slower than what you're looking for. We will likely be out at Carnegie this weekend (Sunday) doing some practice, feel free to come out and ride.
 
Got my new piston in, have to re-assemble the head/wiring then it should be good to start. Donna is nagging me to ride this weekend so Sunday will be the day unless something goes wrong with my bike fix. I'll text you or update here to confirm, assume the usual (9:30 or so at the tree). It may be crowded due to the light rain on Saturday.

See you guys tomorrow ?
 
I won't be able to ride tomorrow Sid. Can't get my rear tire to hold air, leaking through the spokes. The new rim band just won't sit correctly in the channel near the valve stem. What a pain!
 
Awesome ride today at Carnagie, Francesca is doing well she says just riding the bike is bringing back all the muscle memorie and getting her ready for her first Sat 4-line. I really focused on hopping the front and rear tires, placing the front wheel where I want it in the rocks and splattering up 4'to 5' creek bed walls oh and the most important loosening my grip on the bars, my left grip keeps slipping up the bar due to my gorilla grip. See you guys at the Schaad ranch trials next week. Will be going out to my local practice area mid week possibly Wed if any takers its in Pinole area between railroad tracks and the bay.
 
Sounds like you had a great day Sid! I heard the next event will have a lot of in n out of creek sections so I expect a bunch of cleans :)

Thanks for the link on the rim band. I ended up putting in my old rim band and used a bunch of Slime. Seems to be holding okay for now. Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend!!
 
Awesome !! Matt said a lot of water but not deep just wet sections should be fun.
 
Well, what can I say ? This weekend was awesome !! I think the event was held in an amazingly beautiful location and all the rain on Fri made conditions perfect wet, muddy, water in all the creeks and slippery logs. I think having the events a little on the tough side helps push us along and, personally I know where I need to improve...everywhere ! :rofl It was great seeing everybody and the rodeo Sat night was a blast especially the push your bike backwards race. :laughing Looking forward to CowPile in May. Will be riding this weekend for sure probably Sat morning for a couple hours out at Carnagie.
 
Last edited:
It was a great trial, I really hope we go back next year! I'm with Sid, I prefer the events to be on the more difficult side and although this one was tough, by the third loop most of my dabs weren't really "needed".

BTW - I've been in touch with Andrew Oldar about trying to setup a training day or two around here. He lives in SoCal but said he might be able to do a training school up here.

I really want to work on the jap zap and getting over obstacles when you have to hit them at an angle. That's where I gave up most of my points. Really love this sport and find my 450 is starting to gather dust in the garage.

Once I move back to Livermore summer of next year, I'll be able to join you guys at Carnegie more often. Right now Metcalf is very convenient for me :)
 
Definitely a beautiful spot to camp and ride. Rick (the land owner) was a really nice guy as well, hopefully that will become a yearly location. The girls had a blast on the see saw and riding some of the other kids' Oset electric bikes. Donna had a pretty good ride on Saturday and got a real good idea of what the sections are about, how you ride them and what to look for when scouting them, she really enjoyed it.
My first loop was bad and that crushed any hope of a good finish, missed a gate in section 2 first round and the bike got out from under me in 3 going up that rock in the back. The other point were from being tired or just sloppy....I watched Bryce go over some of the slippery logs at an angle with no problem (rear tire just rolled over rather than slide sideways) and know what I need to work on. I'm not unweighting the bike enough, even though it feels like I am I'm still asking the bike to do too much work...I got more dabs than I should have from the rear moving on me when I didn't think it would. Need to work on bigger ups too so the 24" ones don't get me like they do now.

I'll try to get set up for Saturday morning, we have a school event Sunday and Sunday is supposed to be in the upper 80's....Great seeing and riding with you guys
 
Last edited:
Donna rode very nice Luke, looks like she was having a blast happy to see more woman jumping into the sport. Francesca is itching to ride this weekend even though she fell pretty hard heading down the hill to section eight where she was checking bruised her knee and thigh pretty bad, swollen and purple...ouch. Im sure its a great experience for your daughters to see such great woman role models. Mark sorry I didn't see you out there after the first loop once I realized Francesca was checking I tried to hammer through to finish and help her out. Great seeing everybody and Mark heres a little inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCHHIbGX_Y
 
Back
Top