• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Essential Trials Stickie

Work day/trials school

Yo cats,

Whereabouts is the PITS property? I'm brand new to trials having bought a '73 Honda TL125 and am currently terrorizing the trails of Knoxville BLM at speeds approaching double digits. My summer weekends are filling up fast but I might be able to make it out for this event, or at least one down the road/trail a bit.

Thanks!!
 
Yo Tonester, I've been thinking about Knoxville, I think theres lots of good trial stuff out there but have only been there on my 990 and 650 of course speeds approaching triple digits though haha. Pits property is up HWY80 in Tahoe area.
 
I'm finding some trails that were just too crappy for my 650 are perfect for the little thumper. There are several trails downhill from the Northern Trailhead staging area to a small lake that are mostly baseball to football sized rocks and ruts. If you follow the stream to the right of the pond it'll take you up to the back side of the nice clearing that was recently closed off from access from the main trail (the one that's gated at the trailhead). Plenty to keep me busy!!
 
Great seeing you guys this weekend! Sent my water pump off to Adrian today as the new style requires a special tool to rebuild. Hopefully I get it back by this weekend, Saturday is likely the only day I can go anyway. I drained the fluid and it was pretty bad.

The training was good, I learned that I need to work on "popping" the clutch more to get more power for the bigger obstacles. I tried it on our trail ride Sid, along with reving the motor more, and it felt better. Robby seemed to have the hang of that quick burst of power method.
 
Hope the water pump rebuild fixes the problem. I learned a lot too Mark, learned how brave you feel when you have a spotter hahaha. Robby is going to be an animal real soon out there it's fun to watch him progress so fast. We'll see you out there next weekend hopefully.
 
Fun event once again and good to see everyone. That thunderstorm during loop 3 looked like it might pour but we only got a little bit, good thing 'cause there were some log crossing that would've gotten harder.....

Mark you're on fire, might have to call you a sandbagger after beating Barry for the last two events. What have you been eating : ) ? Great riding, you beat my score and had to do one more section per loop with a harder line on most of the sections. Hope you've moved to ADV for next year when I move up to INT.

I think looking at the sections the night before and getting an idea of lines is a great thing, thanks for getting me to do it Sid. When you do the first loop it' s more of a reminder rather than a first look, made my ride better for sure. Still couldn't catch Reimund though, he beat me by 8 points!

See you guys out in the practice field and up at the Kraut in a few weeks.
 
LOL, thanks Luke! Congrats on your podium as well! Sid cleaned some sections I had trouble with (Jim Bowmans, Rick Wolf, etc), but it looked like he had some dabs towards the end when we were getting tired.

I had a chance to practice with Mike Muldoon, who rides the Advance line, twice since Cowpile. That has really helped alot.

Things just feel like they are starting to click now. Another thing that has helped is what Sid said you and him talked about in rocky sections.....moving my feet back on the pegs so I'm riding on the balls of my feet. It really helps to unweight over obstacles.

June weekends are pretty booked but if I can get out to the property or Carnegie I'll let you guys know.
 
Luke/Sid, did you guys receive the email I sent to PITS group about the training on 8/6 and 8/7?

I haven't had anyone respond yet so I wasn't sure if it just didn't go through or people were not interested.

Let me know when you have a chance.
 
Hey Mark didn't get the message about training, interested though. Was out at club property with Dan King last weekend we re rode all the sections even tried some of the expert lines...that was fun but over my skill level but no fives ! We practiced a lot of stuff and it helped and I think riding with someone above your level helps a lot.
 
Haven't heard a word about it, Mark. In seeing your post I just signed up on the PITS page as a member, maybe that makes a difference? I may be interested in the training, definitely need it, just a scheduling thing.
 
Think I figured it out, I was waiting on something from Howard and never actually sent the email. Just sent it now so hopefully you will both see it.

Sid, that is awesome! After the last event I rode with Scott Rose through a few sections and he showed the the harder lines. Man some of those were tough!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the next event, I'll be there both days but not sure if I'll compete on Saturday.
 
Yeah we'll be there both days to, look forward to riding with you guys again as well. Im probably heading up there next weekend 7/2 for a day of riding, Sat for sure maybe even camp out.
 
Hey Luke, if you are interested doing a training day with Andrew Oldar at the PITS property on 8/6 and/or 8/7, let me know. It would be $100 per day and we need another 2 people to make it happen.
 
Donna and I would really like to go but we will be in Oregon the week before and getting back on the 6. I don't think we can switch the schedule around, we've have had to already and timing is not on our side.
 
Luke, any suggestions on how to bend back my aluminum skid plate to it's original shape? I tried heating it up, placing it on a 2x4 and hammering the rear part but need more leverage/force.

I think a shop press is the way to go and thought about investing in a cheap one, but I can't visualize how I would place it in the press?

Basically, I just need to bend the rear portion of the skid plate back up as the skid plate should have an almost V shape to it in the middle. Mine doesn't and what happens on the Gas Gas's is that you can risk cracking the case at the rear motor mount because the skid plate is now pushed up against the case. There is a little rubber bushing but I would like to get it close to its original shape.

I guess I could try putting it in a vice, just didn't think I would have enough force to bend it back.

Here is what it looks like when new
http://trialssuperstore.com/products/gasgas-oem-skid-plate
 
Last edited:
I could probably put it in my press and put the bend back in the tail section. Doesn't look flat to I'd have to put spacers in there or something but could make it better. I'm just not sure how to check to see if it's where it should be. I remember pulling mine one time and it was a real b*Itch to get back in place. You may have to bring the frame/motor by at the same time. Might be able to do it off of a distance measure from front hole to back hole.
 
Back
Top